Over 90% of Thai people want a total ban on foreign arrivals

webfact

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Over 90% of respondents to a recent opinion poll fear the prospect of the second wave of COVID-19 infections and they want a complete ban on foreign arrivals in Thailand, according to a Suan Dusit Poll

If the media stressed how few cases of Covid and even fewer deaths plus the high rate of survival instead of spreading doom and gloom the opinion would be reversed.  It is very easy to kill the economy and tourism and very difficult to get it to restart  Once the tourists get use to traveling someplace else and the tourism infrastructure in the country is destroyed it takes decades to rebuild it.  If there was a ready alternative such a manufacturing great.  However, Thailand has few other options than to cater to tourists who spend money and create jobs. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Yet another example of a website read overwhelming by foreigners writing an anti-foreigner headline. Whoever is doing this needs to be replaced by someone who truly understands what they are writing, or someone who doesn't have an anti-foreigner agenda.

I though the good General himself told the media to soften up a little bit and not be so harsh....well I can see it has actually worked, but then sensationalistic stories sell papers and subscriptions does it not?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sambotte said:

Looks terribly stupid.

Looks like brainwashing and fear works beyond expectation.

But 5% thinking brains is probably the common world percentage.

Yeah, because the US, UK, Australia, India etc etc are all doing so well at managing and controlling this disears.

And they're relatively honest in reporting numbers. Unlike others.

• Like 2

Thai people must be very closed minded I Know they are as much as I love my Thai wife her mind is shut tight, theres only one point of view. Thailand are you aware theirs countries around you who support travel to their countries and they admit they need the outside flow of cash coming into their country. Thai people you better start waking up or whats the alternative have you been thinking about that!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, innosiem said:

this poll was done in a university, where obviously the students do not depend on tourism
this is not a poll of "random people" but a specific group type

"All the polls were very close" we both know that is completely false
The Polls — All Of Them — Show Hillary Clinton Leading

We will soon see Biden win in November, if you are correct.

Canada had a similar poll and 86% of the people wanted an indefinite closing of the Canada/US border. Most of the Canadian tourism income is from US tourism. Also a specific group type?

Again - just because you don't understand something, doesn't mean it isn't so.

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yeah, because the US, UK, Australia, India etc etc are all doing so well at managing and controlling this disears.

And they're relatively honest in reporting numbers. Unlike others.

More CV testing equals more postives and even if you do have the virus mortality is very low. If your afraid shelter in place with a face mask on you can always have everything delivered its Thailand. What about Dengue I here thats a very big problem what should Thailand do? Carnage on Thai roads is out of control OMG stop the presses should all alcohol be banned yes it should but its not.

15 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I though the good General himself told the media to soften up a little bit and not be so harsh....well I can see it has actually worked, but then sensationalistic stories sell papers and subscriptions does it not?

I've written for nearly every UK national paper, and the 'red tops' had a policy to publish an outrageous story (not by me) to sell papers, only to then publish a denial from someone the next day. If it wasn't libellous then it worked well.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ventenio said:

ask us..

'would you like strange people, possibly from china, to fly in today and hang around you now?"

100%.   no  

Knowing the Thai way of thinking,Chinese are not classed as 'foreigners', so would be welcome to arrive.

• Sad 1

I dont even read it. By the way who is paying for these polls ? Merely Prayut gov fake news geared to rid Thailand of white people. Good work your own gov has left you  ????...Useless old man. We will watch as the country crumbles.

• Confused 1

Totally agreed! Total ban on foreigners, specially the ones from Asia, South East Asia and India

Only Thais and Expats should be allowed to enter Thailand.

Problem solved!

"I drink to make other people more interesting"   Ernest Hemingway

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I've written for nearly every UK national paper, and the 'red tops' had a policy to publish an outrageous story (not by me) to sell papers, only to then publish a denial from someone the next day. If it wasn't libellous then it worked well.

Hi Barry, an interesting revelation. But how could the false story be deemed not to be libellous ? Or were the papers relying on the fact that it's quite difficult for the individual to prove it damaged his/her reputation if the report was so wild ?

12 minutes ago, Elkski said:

all you  whiners go do your own  poll?  what  data are you using to say it was all uni students answering the poll?  this shows your ignorance.   Thai universities may not be world class but I think they know how to get a fair representation of the average  Thai.  My GF says its safe to not let foreigners in.  Yinn nailed it on the head.   Do you know how stupid America and most of the western world looks to Asia and Thailand right now?  

Aren't the top 5%  of the rich accumulating 75% of the wealth? so if tourism is only 12% of the GDP that barely effects the Masses.    Why would foreign companies shut  or not  open  factories in Thailand.   There will probably be a. allowance for business people to come in with quarantine.    all these tour guides and bar workers will have to be happy with 400 baht a day factory jobs or can go lounge around the farm.  And another thing there isnt bankruptcy in Thailand as Westerners know it.  ,The banks amd lenders will have to bite this bullet.   condos are going to  be hard to sell for all of you who bought.  

how old are you, twenty something I assume. what life experience do uni students have other than from a leftist lecturer

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

94.45% are most concerned about losing their jobs,

Obviously, not many of the massive number of 1,459 people questioned in the poll, were from the millions who have, rather sadly, already lost their jobs.

Obviously another barracks lunch 

• Confused 1

Don't get your hopes too high Thailand, for what I can see on international News European Governments

are spending a lot of time and money to keep the people close to home and so far it looks like it's working,

some businesses report more tourists than last year. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elkski said:

Why would foreign companies shut  or not  open  factories in Thailand.

Off topic, but manufacturers are moving out of Thailand, mainly to Vietnam to benefit from Trade deals done by their government.

Additionally labour intensive industries are moving.

• Like 2