Japanese restaurant fined Bt50,000 for promoting alcohol

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Right, so people should be able to get away with flaunting laws that are not major crimes then.

Hopefully you know what people are talking about here if you dont well no hope for you. Everybody knows that this was illegal but the over the top fine and reaction with how the Police dealt with it was to extreme when compared to other laws that directly affect Thai people. How does displaying beer on a menu really cause harm when their are a lot of serious offences not policed. The law should be repealed or fines much lower.

• Like 1

Making a law against promoting alcohol, and tobacco, and actually enforcing that law. I fail to see why the negative replies. There are equally anti tobacco and anti alcohol laws in many western countries that are equally strictly enforced. Is there no end to the Thailand hate of all these negative forum farangs?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 12

Any of these morons aware that the internet is also being accessed OUTSIDE Thailand?

The alcohol laws of Thailand stipulate:
- no alcohol sale to anyone below 20 years of age, to be checked if questionable (ok with me)

- no alcohol sale before 11am, between 2pm and 5pm and after 10pm until 11am next morning *
- no alcohol sale on Buddhist days (only Buddhist country in the world, by the way, with such a law) *

- no alcohol sale as of 6pm prior to an election day until 12pm of the election day *
- no alcohol advertising whatsoever, incl. beer coolers and illuminated bar decoration lights *

* complete absence of common sense and no clue, what funny purpose these laws have, except allowing the police to collect non-receiptable fines again. 

So, Thai Beverage and Boonrawd must be delighted over this but, as we are in Thailand, the nice thing is that any booze is available 24/7 irrespective of whatever the government circus' clowns in Bangkok say. Wine sales must be dead as most wines need a description beyond the grape and the growing area to educate Khon Thai that slurping Chateau-Neuf-du-Pape 1954 might not be quite the way and Chateau Petrus is not used to gargle either ???? 

• Like 2

Is it possible that the idea might be to gradually change the populations attitude to drinking.  You never know, if there is less promotion then maybe other good things might follow.  You know like a reduction in the road carnage so many often complain about and reference the lack of action by the authorities. It has to start somewhere. Just saying

14 hours ago, Don Mega said:

He broke the law and copped a fine, why does this upset you so much ?

Because it’s a deeply corrupt law written by the lawyers for Thai Bev and delivered to Parliament for a rubber stamp (true) designed to protect them. You’ll note that massive advertising for Singha and Chang “water” exists everywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, herwin1234 said:

Making a law against promoting alcohol, and tobacco, and actually enforcing that law. I fail to see why the negative replies.

Because that is not why the law exists. It is there to kill competition to the big breweries. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, champers said:

Don't you just love the Chang ad of all those lads round the telly watching the football drinking Chang water? Yes, water, like you do.

I just don't understand why Chang and Singha spend sooo much money adverting soda water.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“All restaurant friends, please be careful of all advertisements,” warned the chef's Facebook post

I am sure many of the big restaurant chains have photos of beer bottles in the "Drinks" section of their menus. Is that illegal?

If so what about the restaurants that sell wine? Most have photos of all the wines available.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The law prohibits the promotion of alcoholic drinks or stimulating the thirst for drinks via discounts.

That makes "happy hours" illegal. In fact I think they disappeared when the law first came into effect, but are of course so common now.

19 minutes ago, petedk said:

I just don't understand why Chang and Singha spend sooo much money adverting soda water.

Another stupid thing I read is that soda water is not for sale during the no alcohol sales times/days :crazy:

• Like 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The law prohibits the promotion of alcoholic drinks or stimulating the thirst for drinks via discounts.

So does that make all the buy one get one free beer signs illegal. If so many bars better watch out in Pattaya. 

1 hour ago, Asquith Production said:

Hopefully you know what people are talking about here if you dont well no hope for you. Everybody knows that this was illegal but the over the top fine and reaction with how the Police dealt with it was to extreme when compared to other laws that directly affect Thai people. How does displaying beer on a menu really cause harm when their are a lot of serious offences not policed. The law should be repealed or fines much lower.

The punishment for adverting alcohol is up to one year imprisonment and/or a fine of up to 500,000 baht, A 50k fine is hardly over the top.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

It is very clearly defined, everyone has to know and accept that:
From the headline: ".... The law prohibits the promotion of alcoholic drinks or stimulating the thirst for drinks via discounts."
But, ... it is NOT PROHIBITED to demonstrate the use HANDGUNS in public TV broadcasting for killing people or "stimulating the lust for killing".
Well, ... one cannot prohibit everything.

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Such nonsense. By an administration that is so misled. And instead of real policy, what do we end up with? 

An utter and complete unwillingness to tackle the scams, and corruption in general, or the traffic and public safety issues, the lack of a competent and effective police force, that foreigners and locals can count on, when they need them.

The environmental issues, and so many other causes, are all having an impact on tourism.

The inept military government, who nobody likes, and most people despise, haphazard and xenophobic immigration policy, meant to deter tourism, and ex-pats, rather than encourage them, racist ranting from the government, often directed at tourists and ex-pats and a nonsensical nationalistic agenda, that is pure politics.

The above comments relate to my relocation to the Philippines .  I love Thailand but what is there now is not the Thailand I once knew.  Very sorry for the poor restaurant 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Don Mega said:

What does reconciliation have to do with it ?

Its a law thats been around for a while, the big players know about it and promote in other ways.

This is total foolish, I can’t think of a signal middle or high-end restaurant that does not have pictures of beer or wine on their menu. Just ask for a wine list, its full of pictures. Just this Saturday asked for the wine list and its full of pictures, also beer on the menu. You pull up into the parking lot and big signs outside for Heineken and other beers.

If they wished to enforce this law, I would guess 90% of upscale places could be fined. So, I think maybe there is more to this then advertising. Maybe no cooperation with the BIB?

15 hours ago, champers said:

Don't you just love the Chang ad of all those lads round the telly watching the football drinking Chang water? Yes, water, like you do.

Yes, always seemed transparent to me. How about the manufacturing workers jumping around after downing energy drinks?

But look at how excitable they are with soda water/energy drinks and try to guess how they might act with beer in them. <Shudder >

I get that there is a law against alcohol promotion, it can have its uses protecting the young and easily influenced against the glamourising of alcohol consumption, linking it with media stars etc but it seems to be being used very heavy handedly. A promotional offer in a menu? He doesn't want to sell beer he wants to sell his food and this is the come on. So guys, you must be short of real criminals to chase, but I find that unlikely.. Just an easy one eh? So no more Chang promotions at restaurants and bars with the pretties in green miniskirts?  They were very much promoting beer and a particular brand too.