What if I test Positive for Covid 19? (pre-departure)

I have a Thai Non-Imm 'B' visa, work permit, and re-entry permit.  I've been stuck in the USA since March, due to the covid-related issued, and now I'm trying to get back to Thailand ASAP.

I soon plan to book my flight (a special government-approved flight), and an a 15-day quarantine package (for a government-approved a hotel room). 

Together, the cost will likely be between US $2,000.00 and $2,500.00, and I know that I must get a Covid-19 test within 72 hours of my scheduled departure.  Therefore, I'm concerned what would happen if I test positive for Covid-19.  I have been very careful to avoid potential infection, and thus will most likely get a negative test result for Covid-19.  However, in case I somehow were to get a positive Covid-19 test result, I of course would not be allowed onto my booked flight, and I'm wondering what I could do in such a case.   Does anybody know: Would I be able to get any refund for, or change the dates of, my flight and hotel bookings, or would it be too late by the time I'm within 72 hours of my scheduled departure?  I don't want to risk losing US $2,000+ for nothing.  

I'd greatly appreciate any information or opinions that anybody may have.  Thanks.

Edited by DKStuntz

I’m kinda in the same boat, I’m waiting to fly back on the 7th August and I expect to pay for my flight before getting the PCR test 72 hours before the flight. So far I’ve been tested every 14 days at work since 5th May all of them have came back negative.

I think I can move the ASQ hotel booking, but nothing from the airline yet. We have repat flights every 14 days here in UAE.

My advice is contact airline and find out what Class of ticket is reserved by embassy, it “Should be full fare, or Flexi fare” so that can be changed at no cost valid for 12 months.

My airline has 4 main ticket class

1.       Deals(YB), cannot change date

2.       Saver (YS), for a fee

3.       Classic(YV), for a fee

4.       Flex (YF), free to change, this is full flexible fare.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the air-ticket (ex-USA) is issued by a Thai-centric TA - not an airline, so doubt you could get a refund. Certainly carefully review the TA's T's & C's.

Also doubt the quarnatine packeage is refundable, but that too should be covered in the T's & C's.

In all honesty you should probably expect to forfeit any/all expenses in the event you are denied boarding.

Edited by mtls2005

do the obvious: 

1. look at the terms of your airline ticket.

2. look at the terms of your hotel booking.

3. get insurance if you can which will cover either (if the terms of 1 and or 2 are not agreeable)

4. note that LOS regs are, apparently, demanding a test within 72hrs of landing.

Your doctor will require you to have a covid19 test before he issues you with a fit to fly certificate. You need to take this and a flight ticket and confirmed quarantine in Thailand to a That Embassy and have another covid19 test within before your booked flight. This means that you have to buy a fully flexible return ticket. This costs substantially more than a fixed flight out and a flexible return ticket. Take the risk of the lower price ticket but be sure to get a 90 day or more flexible return ticket. 

15 hours ago, ayahuasca said:

do the obvious: 

3. get insurance if you can which will cover either (if the terms of 1 and or 2 are not agreeable)

4. note that LOS regs are, apparently, demanding a test within 72hrs of landing.

It's 72 hours prior to boarding.

On 7/27/2020 at 9:48 AM, DKStuntz said:

I soon plan to book my flight (a special government-approved flight), and an a 15-day quarantine package (for a government-approved a hotel room). 

Together, the cost will likely be between US $2,000.00 and $2,500.00, and I know that I must get a Covid-19 test within 72 hours of my scheduled departure. 

$2,000 is rather optimistic for the total costs. including the insurance, covid tests and fit to fly document, plan on $3,000 plus. Also i understand that in the USA results of tests can take up to 4 days ......

15 minutes ago, rickudon said:

$2,000 is rather optimistic for the total costs. including the insurance, covid tests and fit to fly document, plan on $3,000 plus. Also i understand that in the USA results of tests can take up to 4 days ......

There are many different options to get tested.

Free tests might take days to get a result back but the self-paid, private clinic or insurance health plans should have options for the next day results.

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:
18 hours ago, ayahuasca said:

do the obvious: 

It's 72 hours prior to boarding.

It's both !!!! 

The requirements for Repatriation Flight Check-in: You must present a Covid-19 Negative Test result (certificate) within 72 ours prior to checking in for your flight and a Fit to Fly Certificate (and all the other documents). 

There is also an ASQ requirement to have a Covid-19 Negative Test result within 72 hours of arrival at ASQ - This is almost an impossibility for some who are taking long haul repatriation flights for their return to Thailand. 

However, this one is not so much of a worry as you are already in country and its an ASQ requirement not an Immigration / arrival requirement. 

As such, when you exit the baggage claim, go through customs, through the arrivals hall and are met (just outside the rotary doors) by a throng of hotel staff, once you identify your hotel they will ask for your Covid-19 test, the ASQ staff will take a photo of your test certificate and send it to their ’team’ (the hotel). IF the Covid-19 test date / time falls outside of the 72 hour window you will have to take another Covid-19 test upon arrival at ASQ (the cost is about 5-6000 baht). 

That's a long winded way of saying, don’t worry about the need for any test on arrival / arrival at ASQ - the big concern is ensuring a repatriatee gets their Covid-19 Negative test results / certificate and Fit to Fly certificate sorted.

Regarding the Ops specific question: Cover yourself with Travel / Trip Insurance.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1