Bail-ins for money on deposit in a US Bank

My limited understanding is the US Gov't can confiscate funds in excess of 250.000 usd on deposit by depositors in a crisis situation based on a law that was passed which addressed ball-ins by financial institutions. What has me a little concerned is I was reading an article recently which stated that funds in excess of 100.000 usd on deposit in a financial institution in the US can be confiscated in a crisis. Is anyone familiar with the current threshold amount and is anyone concerned at all about the possibility of something like his coming to fruition? I guess if one had their money in stocks they would be outside the long arm of the law. In these crazy  and uncertain  times it is best to try and position oneself for any possible situation, however remote it might be, so I am interested in hearing about other folks strategies or investment choices especially in these trying times.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:02 PM, worgeordie said:

I would not like to

live in a country where the Government and Banks can 

steal your money, because THEY have made a mistake.

Which countries do you see as safe havens then?  

Seems like a ridiculous concern.  The Federal Reserve can create money out of thin air and lend it banks and sometimes other businesses interest-free, if they wish.  Currently, the US Congress can borrow apparently unlimited amounts at interest rates close to zero.  There is a lot to worry about in the current situation.  Federal confiscation of your bank account isn't one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 6:07 AM, cmarshall said:

There is a lot to worry about in the current situation.  Federal confiscation of your bank account isn't one of them.

How about in Thailand? 

Do you really think a bail-in or an account hair cut is not possible?