Thai tourist arrivals slump 66% year-on-year in Jan-June amid pandemic

webfact

21 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Will the ASQ guests count as tourists? 

Predominantly work permit, business and medical care patients.

Hardly tourists..

Some why not let the stranded abroad with family come back. 

100% guaranteed non tourists. 

18 hours ago, crazykopite said:

I hope the Thai baht gets back to 70 to the £ as I am in need of having some very expensive dental implants at least it’s going in the right direction it’s over 40 to the £ better than last week.

Exchange rates are irrelevant to the tourists that arnt allowed back.

22 hours ago, AndrewMciver said:

It's fortunate they had the January/February numbers to massage the figures a little.

Tourism was going down the gurgler and expats were leaving before the virus even started because of the soldiers and their policies.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Oldie said:

This is not correct. They just kick out foreigners who don't qualify to be here by law. I personally doubt that these people contribute a lot to the Thai economy. I fear that they cause a lot of effort to handle such cases. Anyway - hard for me to understand why foreigners don't want to go home. If you have a job you would be needed by your employer. If you are retired simply apply for a visa here if you want to live here. Perhaps you can't fly home because there are no flights. The immigration will alow you to continue to stay here. BUT I understand that Thailand tries to get rid of people using the situation for their own benefit. 

Lovely post.

Please do a table showing exactly how much it costs Thailand to look after an expat who let's say worked overseas for 3 months at a time and every month sent money to his wife and two kids. 

He comes to Thailand for a month ( he's under 50 by the way ) to be with 'his family' and is now stuck here. 

Now he has the time to sort out an extension to stay I agree. 

Show me the cost to Thailand re' the above.

Let's say he's single ( under 50 ) and bought a condo a couple of years ago and works on 3/1 rotation. He is now sruck here and spending money.

Only option is probably the Elite Visa.

Re' above.

What is the cost to Thailand?

Let's say there are 200 guys in each category so work out the cost for each one and multiply by 400.

8 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

...............how did they figure this would be profitable if no one is going to show up for their luxury 14 day quarantine vacation? 

I think the powers that be believe the world was stumbling all over itself to get to Thailand simply because it is the greatest place on earth.  And the hordes will continue no matter what obstacle is placed in its path.  Who would not believe it was an endless wave after watching the traffic through Suvarnabhumi last few years, it was a literal madhouse of people coming and going.  

What they fail to comprehend is what sales tourism is same as sales everything.  "Cheap fabric and dim lighting.  That's how you move merchandise." - the immortal words of Morty Seinfeld

Easy to get to and relatively cheap is what kept the hordes coming.  Lose either of those and river of travelers dries up.......

Why even publish such a nonsensical write-up. We all know there has been no True Tourism since the borders were closed, who are they trying to delude. The slump in tourism is 100%, adding in the 2 1/2 months at the beginning of the year is just to soften the total blow and make it look like there is still Tourism.

On 7/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, crazykopite said:

Another figure plucked from the sky I would have said at least 85%

2.5 month's open, 4.5 months closed. 66% Sounds about right.

And by the end of December 2.5 open, 9.5 closed and your 85% will be pretty close. Unless of course all those high quality billionairs arrive then it may only be 84.9999995% !

I can't wait for the 3rd quarter figures, they will be outstanding, 0 tourists since March, economy down the pan, serves the Plicks at the top with their brown uniforms right!!!, but unfortunately they won't get what they deserve.

On 7/29/2020 at 10:19 AM, ezzra said:

Let the Thai public soak those figures right in and deep, watching their economy going down the gurgler fast as it was reported that 90% of Thai people would have liked for all foreigners to be booted out... soak in in guys...

That's a similar sentiment to what I saw recently in Thai news where Phuket businesses are whining about Thai people not coming to their support. The answer is ,when business was good you still ripped everyone including us Thais off,now you expect for us to come back....no way.

On 7/29/2020 at 5:48 PM, Khun Rob said:

I just returned to Australia and have done the figures on returning next year. To comply with the current entry requirements the absolute minimum cost will be around 80,000 Baht if i can find a flight into Thailand for $1000.

I dont see anyone bothering to do that, particularly tourists or teachers. I will be handing my Permanent Residency book back after 15 yrs of paying through the nose to keep it, the wife has said enough.

Chances of them being shut Nov, Dec, Jan are zero. 

Moneeee Moneeee Moneeee.... 

Your problem old boy is getting out of oz, with a second wave now firmly in place! 

Edited by madmen

7 minutes ago, madmen said:

Chances of them being shut Nov, Dec, Jan are zero. 

Moneeee Moneeee Moneeee.... 

If that was the case they would have been opening already.  I do not see any tourism until next spring.

6 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If that was the case they would have been opening already.  I do not see any tourism until next spring.

Your head is in 1st world. Why would the borders be open peak of low season for November ? Anything that can be salvaged top of high season will be even if they close after for second wave 

Edited by madmen

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

Your head is in 1st world. Why would the borders be open peak of low season for November ? Anything that can be salvaged top of high season will be even if they close after for second wave 

If they wanted tourists during high season the relaxing of restrictions should began being lifted now in order for folks to secure plane flights and hotels to be here in November. To much red tape to get here if they want the Covid cert, 100k USD med policy and then 14 days of quarantine.  Until they repatriate all the Thais who want to return and then those in line behind them, I personally see a potential 4 month back log of those folks who want to return to be with family.  With it, in reality, being August already, that puts November at the earliest for travelers to come here.  Add in the restrictions now and in reality I don't see it on the horizon for the near future. Vietnam just shut down Danang for at least 2 weeks.  If a second wave is coming then we are 6 months away from it going away possibly, so end of January just in time for the folks who want to come for Songkran to start planning.  So April looks about right, as it will take awhile to reverse the restrictions and international flights to resume at a large scale.  However, life and this Government is fickle. Anything is possible, but it is just my sarcastic view.

On 7/29/2020 at 1:35 PM, crazykopite said:

I hope the Thai baht gets back to 70 to the £ as I am in need of having some very expensive dental implants at least it’s going in the right direction it’s over 40 to the £ better than last week.

Hey the AUD dollar in TransferWise this morning was 22.4; happy days are here again, come on 25.0 Baht to 1 AUD..................... Ya keep it going.