Hawaii returnee tests positive as doctor warns of second wave of Covid-19 infections

webfact

Hawaii returnee tests positive as doctor warns of second wave of Covid-19 infections

By The Nation

800_368e9957afebf61.jpg?v=1596002124

One new Covid-19 case was confirmed in state quarantine on Wednesday (July 29) with no deaths over a 24-hour period, said Dr Thanarak Palipat, deputy director general of the Disease Control Department.

Wednesday was the 65th day without a domestic case since May.

The latest Covid-19 case is a 26-year-old soldier who returned from Hawaii and has been in state quarantine in Chonburi since July 22. He tested positive on Monday and has high fever, runny nose and muscle ache. He is one of the 151 soldiers who had gone to Hawaii for training and stayed in camps with seven to eight people, some of whom have also tested positive.

As of Wednesday, the total number of confirmed cases in Thailand stood at 3,298 (361 testing positive in state quarantine). Of them 129 are under treatment, 3,111 have recovered and 58 have died.

Dr Thanarak said most of the patients were in the age group of 20 to 40 and lived in Bangkok and its metropolitan area.

Thailand’s skies have been closed since April 4, and the virus situation has been improving since. Of the imported cases so far, 125 were foreigners, 367 Thais returning home before the airports closed and 361 Thais in state quarantine.

Globally, the total number of confirmed cases has gone beyond 16.8 million, up by 248,000 with 10.4 million recovered and 663,000 dead. Thailand is ranked 106th in terms of the number of cases, while the US still tops the list with 4.49 million Covid-19 infections, followed by Brazil 2.48 million and India 1.53 million.

Citing the second wave of infections in Vietnam, China, Australia and Hong Kong, Thanarak said: “The government has made preparations. Practically, we can’t expect the number to remain zero forever but are aiming for there to be a low impact on both health security and economy by containing hotspots and suspected cases with good cooperation from the Thai public.”

He also voiced concern about illegal border crossing.

Pointing out that people without a mask in crowded areas can get infected within five to 15 minutes if they happen to be close to a patient.

Thanarak said department stores should return to strictly imposing control measures – ThaiChana check-in, temperature screening, ensuring people wear masks and keep their hands clean.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392093

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-29

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

One new Covid-19 case was confirmed in state quarantine on Wednesday (July 29) with no deaths over a 24-hour period, said Dr Thanarak Palipat, deputy director general of the Disease Control Department.

Here we go "Come-on boys someone is about to press the PANIC button" ...................LOL

• Like 1

Did they initially quarantine all 150 soldiers?

Is this soldier one of the six original that came back with a fever runny nose and bodyaches and tested positive for COVID-19 just recently or an additional soldier?

It describes symptoms are for typical flu, and not COVID-19.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've contacted some friends I have in Hawaii about this news and none of it has made it into the press in Hawaii or other US media. Hawaii has had an increasing number of cases but none of the cases was reported as being among soldiers stationed in the islands.  I'm not questioning whether the Thai soldiers have COVID-19 but has Thailand notified the military authorities in Hawaii about the situation? Were all the US military who participated in the exercises from Hawaii or were others flown to the islands as well. It certainly seems that the US military has had is share of problems with the spread of COVID-19.

Sorry -- there have been some press reports in Hawaii and in 'Stars and Stripes'

https://www.civilbeat.org/beat/eight-thai-soldiers-test-positive-for-covid-19-after-training-in-hawaii/

https://www.stripes.com/news/pacific/eight-thai-soldiers-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-training-in-hawaii-with-us-soldiers-1.639188

Edited by pookiki
Additional information
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, brianp0803 said:

Did they initially quarantine all 150 soldiers?

Is this soldier one of the six original that came back with a fever runny nose and bodyaches and tested positive for COVID-19 just recently or an additional soldier?

It describes symptoms are for typical flu, and not COVID-19.

I think its pretty much a given now.

Any flu or even common cold will go down as Covid in certain places, from poorly made up tests that are designed to show up positive for anything & everything.

Its akin to a finger print scanner set on minimum sensitivity. 

You could get a hairy mammoth to scan a paw on behalf of you, and it would pass for you as no problem.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, pookiki said:

I've contacted some friends I have in Hawaii about this news and none of it has made it into the press in Hawaii or other US media. Hawaii has had an increasing number of cases but none of the cases was reported as being among soldiers stationed in the islands.  I'm not questioning whether the Thai soldiers have COVID-19 but has Thailand notified the military authorities in Hawaii about the situation? Were all the US military who participated in the exercises from Hawaii or were others flown to the islands as well. It certainly seems that the US military has had is share of problems with the spread of COVID-19.

I don't think it even matters to the people in charge of Thailand.

Hawaii....U.S.A....

how or where they got infected....

they are all whiteys....

...farangs.

Thats all they need the public to know.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Rancid said:

It beats me why so many doctors are ignorant about pandemic responses. Its quite straight forward where there is no vaccine.

1. If you do nothing the virus will run, its over quicker but hospitals could get overworked.

2. Or, you do lock down, distancing, masks etc, which reduces the pressure on hospitals but actually causes Wave 2 and Wave 3. Why? Because there are still hosts for the virus to infect, hence the extra waves. Case 1 there is no one to infect, hence its over.

Wow-one smart kind of chap you are!  Another super genius 

200728-Dr-tease_vxsyug

is this your friend ????

17 hours ago, webfact said:

As of Wednesday, the total number of confirmed cases in Thailand stood at 3,298 (361 testing positive in state quarantine). Of them 129 are under treatment, 3,111 have recovered and 58 have died.

The best reason ever to keep the borders closed to tourism, and any returning/visiting persons must undergo quarantine.

Of the 361i in state quarantine testing positive, 129 are being treated. 

This seems like a quite high percentage of people in Thailand are getting treated. By being treated, I’m assuming they are hospitalizing 1/3 of the people testing positive.
But interesting that even thailand recognizes that 2/3 of the people with the virus do not need any medical treatment.

This Thai probably got covid in Thailand either during transport or at the quarantine itself

Same as so many others...suddenly test positive in quarantine...Yet have clear test before takeoff to Thailand

Buy a vowel Thailand as you need a clue

Look at Hawaii....Total cases from start of covid less than 1900

Thailand total cases 3300

Truth is Hawaii should not be letting Thai's visit

To compare the total cases in Thailand with the total cases in Hawaii, you need to compare the population of Hawaii with the population of Thailand.

But I do find it very suspicious the number of people returning to Thailand that test negative 72 hours before leaving and test positive upon arriving in Thailand. It seems the percentage of returning  people that Thailand says our positive far exceeds the percent of people in the respective countries having the virus.

Maybe this is an example of - with more testing you get more positive results. Thailand only test people returning from foreign countries, or who had contact with people from foreign countries and then blames the foreign country for any positive results.

How many of the people returning that Thailand says are positive are asymptomatic or have symptoms completely different from typical COVID-19 people?