Tax ID for changing Work Permit and how to get one

So, on the tax theme. How do you get a tax ID in Thailand? I searched online and found an article that said what was required was my passport and my lease agreement showing Id been in Thailand for 180 days out of the last 365. It then said to go to any revenue office to apply for a tax ID. Well, no problem with the passport and rental agreement, the problem came when I arrived at the revenue office and they didn't want the rental agreement they wanted my work permit. Then the woman wanted to speak to someone from the school, which I told her was impossible as the school has not reopened yet. Then I get told I can't get a tax ID, I have to go to the local government offices 10km away and get authority from them. Do ANY government departments here know their own rules and regulations? 

So, any sensible suggestions as to how to get a tax ID (stress free) would be appreciated. I need one, apparently, for my proposed new school to process my visa and work permit change from my current school to the new one.

It depends on the Tax office you apply at - some will accept Passport and Lease agreement

I applied in Hua Hin and I had to pay tax on my bank transfers into Thailand before they issued me the Tax ID

There may be other ways of paying Tax in order to get the ID but they totally refused to issue me a tax ID using my Passport and Lease agreement

However others have reported going to different offices around the country and been in and out with a tax ID in 30 minutes

Edited by darrendsd

10 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

If you have a current school with work permit etc., surely you've been paying tax and have a tax ID already?

Yup, if you're working legally and paying tax you should already have a tax ID.

Assuming of course that your employer is paying your tax, if he's not and you are getting your whole salary with no deductions you'll need to get a tax ID and pay your back tax.

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2020 at 10:39 AM, Crossy said:

Yup, if you're working legally and paying tax you should already have a tax ID.

Assuming of course that your employer is paying your tax, if he's not and you are getting your whole salary with no deductions you'll need to get a tax ID and pay your back tax.

Well, that is what had me wondering because I have never received my full wage and assumed the couple of thou missing was the tax, but then I checked and it works out as more than I would be paying in tax. So, either my employer has been skimming off the top or the tax office owe me about 40k refund. Tried asking my employer about a tax ID but just keep getting fobbed off. Thats why I wanted to apply for one because if I am already on the system they can give me the number, and if I'm not I can get one and pay the tax I must owe.

Hi

If you are working and have a work permit, you have tax ID already. Well, most likely. Some work places do that auto. i mean, they will do dediction from your salary. Thats what my company is doing (im not a teacher) or at the end of the year mostly January school will give you some paper work, you take them to the tax office your school working with. Here be careful you need to go to the tax office of your school not any tax office you want. All you need is your passport and work permit and that docs school give you. (again if they dont dedict from your salary). Also if im not mistaken you cannot get your visa or work permit without showing your paid tax docs. 

So if this is your 2nd year there and you still have work permit and visa that means school is paying your tax. You can learn your tax id again from your school's tax office. just go there show your passport and work permit they will tell you your tax no. Ask them to create an online account. It will take 5 min. Now you can do whatever with your tax via online at home. You can print or see details. You dont need to change your tax id from job to job. When you get one, it stays with you forever. My tax id is 14 years old now, never changed.

Now, i believe the school accounter is also a teacher and doing this for her/his extra job. And dedict some general ammount from your salary and yes it will be more than you should pay. Now this is not a problem because after january you will get it back with a krungthai bank money check. It should take 2 weeks to get this. To get the money you need a krungthai bank account. Yes, they will not give you that easy lol.  If you havent get any checks yet, there is something wrong with your address or your checks are coming to school.   

im not sure they will give you your tax number if you call them. But tax call center is really really great and helpful. 

I hope this info helps you. 

Edited by problemfarang