Police break up car-smuggling syndicate

webfact

Police break up car-smuggling syndicate

By The Nation

800_5c3055ee03f07ce.jpg?v=1596439362

The authorities have cracked down on seven illegal car vendors in three provinces and seized 26 cars worth more than Bt100 million.

The cars were reportedly ordered by buyers in Laos and smuggled across the border.

Crime Suppression Division chief Pol Maj-General Jirabhop Bhuridej said police have been monitoring the syndicate for six months and learned that the smuggling operation was run by two groups located in Mukdahan, Ubon Ratchathani and Sakon Nakhon.

Police also learned that the smuggling operation had been running for three years now, and are checking to see if any government officials may have been involved.

Five persons have been arrested in Thailand, while one, who allegedly financed the operation, was arrested in Laos.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392363

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-03

17 hours ago, JoePai said:

So you cannot cross into Laos but you can smuggle whole cars over the border?

I wasn’t able to cancel Internet even though I had been paying it for 3 years and had proof , but someone was able to sell my friends car without registration book and take car away

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Police also learned that the smuggling operation had been running for three years now, and are checking to see if any government officials may have been involved.

Running for 3 years, that's got to be a certainty.

On 8/3/2020 at 2:57 PM, webfact said:

Police also learned that the smuggling operation had been running for three years now,

I personally know that six years ago, cars and pick-ups were smuggled into Laos from Issan by money-lending and gambling syndicates. When such vehicles are used as collateral for gambling money, and the registered owner cannot repay the loan, in certain instances to avoid official DLT paperwork (especially vehicle blue book) the vehicle is smuggled and "sold" across in Laos and gets a new identity. Cash raised goes back to the syndicates. I will not elaborate as I now live outside Thailand and is of no concern to me.