Is tourist travel from Thailand to the USA allowed?

I am aware that Thailand isn't taking in US tourists currently.  However, my friend has one of those US tourist visas good for 10 years and that allow (if I recall correctly) stays of 3 months at a time.  My question is whether or not she can travel here given the Covid situation?  Or is the USA baring entry for tourists entirely?  Any clarification would help - I see many conflicting or vague pages and I am not sure what to make of it.  Thanks.

The following US websites indicate that travellers from Thailand are not excluded from travel to the US, assuming your friend is from Thailand, has not visited one of the restricted countries, and could get a flight.

I don't claim this to be a definitive response.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

https://uk.usembassy.gov/information-for-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants-following-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak/

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, theoldgit said:

The following US websites indicate that travellers from Thailand are not excluded from travel to the US, assuming your friend is from Thailand, has not visited one of the restricted countries, and could get a flight.

I don't claim this to be a definitive response.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/from-other-countries.html

https://uk.usembassy.gov/information-for-nonimmigrant-visa-applicants-following-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak/

Thank you very much!  ????

9 minutes ago, taxout said:

Compared with most of the rest of the world, the U.S. remains relatively open.

Assuming your friend has been in Thailand for at least the past 14 days, just make sure she doesn't book a flight transiting a country which is "red" for U.S. purposes, bearing in mind if you're booking in advance that designations can always change on short notice.

Remember too that there's no "permitted stay" marked on U.S. tourist visas. That's up to immigration officer on entry. Customarily 90 days for most, but it's not written in stone.

Thanks - we will then have to be mindful of where the transfer will be.  I'm surprised (I shouldn't be, I guess) that the US is so open.

• Confused 1

I’m curious for example my Thai friend is scheduled to arrive on Aug 15. If the flight ends in Boston even people from I believe 42 or 43 states need to have a covid test within I believe 72 hrs.  This is a Massachusetts rule since 8/1. Even another friend I know is arriving 9/1 from Florida and she has to take the test in Florida because you ( May ) be asked for it. Otherwise 14 day quarantine. Korean Air sent information about landing in Massachusetts and all the approved labs for testing seem to only be in the USA. So for now I’m suggesting to my friend to come in September so I can research this more. Come September Korean air May have their non stop Seoul to Boston flight again so that means the Massachusetts rules apply. From what I read you may have to go into quarantine until tested and you may still need a covid test from your home country ( but I don’t think they will take foreign tests seriously). I’m not sure if LA or NYC has new rules like Massachusetts but I would have your friend check what city she lands in and check any rules.  I just can’t see this proving you were tested thing being carried out at the airport upon every foreign flight. It seems crazy but Massachusetts says they are doing it. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 2:35 AM, LAguy said:

I am aware that Thailand isn't taking in US tourists currently.  However, my friend has one of those US tourist visas good for 10 years and that allow (if I recall correctly) stays of 3 months at a time.  My question is whether or not she can travel here given the Covid situation?  Or is the USA baring entry for tourists entirely?  Any clarification would help - I see many conflicting or vague pages and I am not sure what to make of it.  Thanks.

This is not a tourist visa...

As with other non-immigrant U.S. visas, a B-1/B-2 visa has a validity period (from 1 month to 10 years), allows for one, two, three or multiple entries into the U.S., and elicits a period of stay (maximum 6 months) recorded by the Customs and Border Protection officer at the port of entry on the individual's form I-94.

My wife had one and each time we visited she was granted 6 months stay.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

This is not a tourist visa...

As with other non-immigrant U.S. visas, a B-1/B-2 visa has a validity period (from 1 month to 10 years), allows for one, two, three or multiple entries into the U.S., and elicits a period of stay (maximum 6 months) recorded by the Customs and Border Protection officer at the port of entry on the individual's form I-94.

My wife had one and each time we visited she was granted 6 months stay.

A B1/B2 visa is commonly referred to as a "tourist visa" or "visitor visa", even within the US government. In the Immigration and Nationality Act, it's formally defined as a visa for people "visiting the United States temporarily for business or temporarily for pleasure".

And you're quite correct, the normal period of stay for B2 visa holders typically granted at US ports of entry is six months, not three months. The OP may be thinking of tourists entering from Visa Waiver countries, who are indeed only allowed 90 days on each entry.

• Like 2

I read  that several years ago US only issues 10 yr  tourist  visas (reduce work load)  and yes 6 months.  But I have read of an India  mom who was denied  entry because  she had taken to many 6 months visits to daughter. 

On 8/5/2020 at 2:55 AM, taxout said:

Compared with most of the rest of the world, the U.S. remains relatively open.

Assuming your friend has been in Thailand for at least the past 14 days, just make sure she doesn't book a flight transiting a country which is "red" for U.S. purposes, bearing in mind if you're booking in advance that designations can always change on short notice.

Remember too that there's no "permitted stay" marked on U.S. tourist visas. That's up to immigration officer on entry. Customarily 90 days for most, but it's not written in stone.

When in transit you don't leave the airport. You might have to stay in a designated area while waiting for your connecting flight. Are there really "red" airports even if a country is on the not allowed list? 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 1:59 AM, erinsf said:

Returning to Thailand is the issue.  Things change quickly. She can possibly be caught without a return trip.

Yes, this seems to be the issue upon further research.  She is being told that, once here, she will need to arrange via the embassy a flight back, i.e. the having a return ticket is not necessarily going to work.  I tell you ... this is very trying on a relationship, to have an indefinite amount of time apart ad such uncertainty.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 10:09 PM, khunjeff said:

A B1/B2 visa is commonly referred to as a "tourist visa" or "visitor visa", even within the US government. In the Immigration and Nationality Act, it's formally defined as a visa for people "visiting the United States temporarily for business or temporarily for pleasure".

And you're quite correct, the normal period of stay for B2 visa holders typically granted at US ports of entry is six months, not three months. The OP may be thinking of tourists entering from Visa Waiver countries, who are indeed only allowed 90 days on each entry.

I am only going off what she told me.  I am realizing through this experience that I should get an understanding of things myself ... may be a cultural or individual thing, but whereas I like to be thorough and plan ... she's kinda very aloof and figures things will just fall into place.

• Haha 2

On 8/7/2020 at 6:52 AM, LAguy said:

I am only going off what she told me.  I am realizing through this experience that I should get an understanding of things myself ... may be a cultural or individual thing, but whereas I like to be thorough and plan ... she's kinda very aloof and figures things will just fall into place.

Just be aware even within the US things are a bit of a mess, different States having different requirements.

Your friend may well think things will fall into place, but assumption is the Mother of all Good F$$kups

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/10/travel/state-travel-restrictions.html#:~:text=The 34 states affected by,Ohio%2C Oklahoma%2C Rhode Island%2C