TMP sleeping pills, what are they?

giddyup

I asked the local pharmacy for something to help me sleep on the odd occasion where I have a problem doing so. She asked me if I wanted something strong or "medium" and I opted for the medium. The pills are stamped TMP but I can't find out what they actually are, all I know is that one knocked me out and I can still feel the effects 2 days later, so I won't be using them again with that kind of side effect. They are yellow with TMP stamped on them, anyone know what they are?

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

That's exactly what the pharmacy sold me, but I doubt it was Ecstacy as it just knocked me out.

It tests as Amitriptyline on the web site.

Amitriptyline is a drug approved for the treatment of depression. However, like other types of anti-depressants, it's also commonly used as an off-label treatment for insomnia.

Please read what is reported here before you decide to do that

https://www.drugsdata.org/view.php?id=2529

This appears to be some sort of "street drug" and its actual contents are unclear

I am not aware of any reputable Thai  pharmaceutical manufacturer using the imprint "TMP"

You should never accept any medication without knowing what it is....and researching the potential side effects, contraindications  and interactions.

And I would certainly suggest steering clear of this pharmacist in the future.

If you want an over the counter sleep aid, common ones would be:

hydroxyzine (numerous brand names; it is  the 25mg dose that is used for sleep, usual dose being anywhere from 25 - 75 mg)

doxylamine (brand name Sominar) usual sleep does 25 - 50 mg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Please read what is reported here before you decide to do that

https://www.drugsdata.org/view.php?id=2529

This appears to be some sort of "street drug" and its actual contents are unclear

I am not aware if any reputable Thai  pharmaceutical manufacturer using the imprint "TMP"

You should never accept any medication without knowing what it is....and researching the potential side effects, contraindications  and interactions.

And I would certainly suggest steering clear of this pharmacist in the future.

If you want an over the counter sleep aid, common ones would be:

hydroxyzine (numerous brand names; it is  the 25mg dose that is used for sleep, usual dose being anywhere from 25 - 75 mg)

doxylamine (brand name Sominar) usual sleep does 25 - 50 mg

Thanks Sheryl. The pills will go in the bin.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't know what part of the country you are from Andy---- but in Issan that's far from the case...

I am not saying there are not suppose to,  just that I have never found it a problem.

it depends on what one means by "sleeping pills".

There are medications used for sleep that require a scripts or are hospital-only and there are ones that are OTC.

25 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Atarax knock me out, still feel them on the next day though, available every chemist

Actually that brand has been unavailable for some months. But plenty of other brands of hydroxyzine still available.

Peoples' responses vary and it may also depend on dose.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

it depends on what one means by "sleeping pills".

I usually just stick with my Melatonin now days...... but friends take lorazepam/Diazepam/ other names I can not remember, also (before covid) because we are close to the Lao border (as you are to the Cambodian) Thai people can walk across--and most anything is available there.

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't know what part of the country you are from Andy---- but in Issan that's far from the case...

I am not saying there are not suppose to,  just that I have never found it a problem.

It's from my personal experience. I've been in pharmacies trying to buy sleeping pills when I was dealing with insomnia. And in all of them I was refused and told to go to the hospital.

Few years later in unrelated matter I was prescribed sleeping pills and I had to come back to see a doctor get a refill.

13 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

It's from my personal experience. I've been in pharmacies trying to buy sleeping pills when I was dealing with insomnia. And in all of them I was refused and told to go to the hospital.

Few years later in unrelated matter I was prescribed sleeping pills and I had to come back to see a doctor get a refill.

this is the case if by sleeping pills you mean benzos.

There are some OTC antihistamines  that work well for sleep for some people and these can be bought at any pharmacy. Unlike benzos these are also non-addictive.

14 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I have melatonin and they work but seem to wake up after a couple of hours

you might try a higher doese and/or a repeat dose when you awaken during the night.

People vary, but I find I can take melatonin up to 3-4 hours before I plan to get up without problem. Though once I shifted to 10mg dose I seldom need to.

Note that being classed as a "nutritional supplement" melatonin is not subject to the kind of quality checks that other types of pharmaceuticals are and thus the amount of active ingrediant ofteb differs from that labelled and this can vary greatly by brand. (This is true of all supplements)

I am using Puritan Pride brand 10mg. No idea how much it actually contains but I know it works. (On the rare occasion that I need a repeat dose in middle of night/early morning hours I take 5 mg then).

Waking up middle of the night/very early morning, especially in older people, is often directly due to drop in melatonin levels so melatonin often helps.

39 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

you might try a higher doese and/or a repeat dose when you awaken during the night.

People vary, but I find I can take melatonin up to 3-4 hours before I plan to get up without problem. Though once I shifted to 10mg dose I seldom need to.

Note that being classed as a "nutritional supplement" melatonin is not subject to the kind of quality checks that other types of pharmaceuticals are and thus the amount of active ingrediant ofteb differs from that labelled and this can vary greatly by brand. (This is true of all supplements)

I am using Puritan Pride brand 10mg. No idea how much it actually contains but I know it works. (On the rare occasion that I need a repeat dose in middle of night/early morning hours I take 5 mg then).

Waking up middle of the night/very early morning, especially in older people, is often directly due to drop in melatonin levels so melatonin often helps.

Do you take Melatonin every day or just when you feel like a good nights sleep. Just recently I find myself waking up after about 4 hours. I have a long drive coming up (well long for me) and I want to make sure I get a good nights sleep beforehand.

31 minutes ago, roger101 said:

Do you take Melatonin every day or just when you feel like a good nights sleep. Just recently I find myself waking up after about 4 hours. I have a long drive coming up (well long for me) and I want to make sure I get a good nights sleep beforehand.

Almost every night these days. (I'm getting old...).

If you have not taken it before suggest you do so on a night prior to the one before your trip to see how it affects you, especially if you would be leaving first thing in the morning. Personally I wake up fine and alert but people do vary. Same applies to any other sleep aid you may be considering.

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Almost every night these days. (I'm getting old...).

If you have not taken it before suggest you do so on a night prior to the one before your trip to see how it affects you, especially if you would be leaving first thing in the morning. Personally I wake up fine and alert but people do vary. Same applies to any other sleep aid you may be considering.

Many thanks. I'll take your advice an try it a couple of times before I actually need it.

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

I have puritan pride 3mg and take two. Have a book on it and it claims upping the dose makes little difference, I will try 3 next time

Fortunately when I had a stroke it gave me the opportunity, whilst in ICU for two weeks, to give up a sleeping pill I had been on for years,     Instead of a pill I was able to listen to my body clock and sleep / wake up according to that.    More than 4 years on I still run my day on my body clock.

51 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

not sure why gabapentin is never mentioned in these threads

for me nothing comes close if just talking about OTC medicine for sleep

It might be because gabapentin is officially indicated for the treatment of the following conditions:

1. Seizures: Gabapentin is used to treat partial (focal) seizures. It’s taken together with other seizure medications in adults and in children 3 years of age and older who have epilepsy.
  2. Postherpetic neuralgia: This is pain from nerve damage caused by shingles, a painful rash that affects adults. Shingles appears after infection with the varicella zoster virus. This virus occurs in people who have had chicken pox.

...and because of the possible side effects:

Gabapentin side effects

Gabapentin oral capsule can cause mild or serious side effects. The following list contains some of the key side effects that may occur while taking gabapentin. This list does not include all possible side effects.

For more information on the possible side effects of gabapentin, or tips on how to deal with a troubling side effect, talk with your doctor or pharmacist.

More common side effects

Some of the more common side effects that can occur with use of gabapentin are listed below, along with their rates:

Also:

viral infection

fever

nausea and vomiting

trouble speaking

hostility

jerky movements

The side effect rates are based on patients over 12 years old, as reported in clinical trials for the brand equivalent, Neurontin. Certain rates vary by age. For example, pediatric patients 3 to 12 years of age most commonly experienced viral infection (11%), fever (10%), nausea and/or vomiting (8), tiredness (8%), and hostility (8%). There were no clinically significant differences in rates between men and women. For more information, see the FDA package insert.

If these effects are mild, they may go away within a few days or a couple of weeks. If they’re more severe or don’t go away, talk to your doctor or pharmacist.

Serious side effects

Call your doctor right away if you have serious side effects. Call 911 if your symptoms feel life-threatening or if you think you’re having a medical emergency. Serious side effects and their symptoms can include the following:

Changes in mood or anxiety. Symptoms can include:

thoughts of suicide or dying

attempts to commit suicide

anxiety that’s new or gets worse

crankiness that’s new or gets worse

restlessness

panic attacks

trouble sleeping

anger

aggressive or violent behavior

extreme increase in activity and talking

unusual changes in behavior or mood

Changes in behavior and thinking, especially in children ages 3 to 12 years. Symptoms can include:

emotional changes

aggressiveness

trouble concentrating

restlessness

changes in school performance

hyper behavior

Serious and life-threatening allergic reaction. Symptoms can include:

skin rashes

hives

fever

swollen glands that do not go away

swollen lips and tongue

yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes

unusual bruising or bleeding

severe tiredness or weakness

unexpected muscle pain

frequent infections

Source of quoted text:https://www.healthline.com/health/gabapentin-oral-capsule#side-effects

Yes, Gabapentin has some serious drawbacks (more than are listed here -- including accelerated pace of developing cataracts, and osteoporosis), enough that it would not be recommended /justified just for sleep. For those who have seizures or severe nerve pain, of course, the benefits usually outweigh the risks

I take 10mg Melatonin (that's the capsule they come in)....I get it from Oz (by USA) where its supposed to be banned but customs over the last 5 years or so don't seem to bother if its under a certain amount. 10mg for me is fine.

On 8/4/2020 at 10:17 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

It's from my personal experience. I've been in pharmacies trying to buy sleeping pills when I was dealing with insomnia.

It's from my personal experience I can........

Once again I don't know from what part of the country you reside..I know they are not supposed to be sold.