is it better to pay in cash or wire from my bank account?

If I am paying a thai language school, is it better to pay in cash or wire the money to their bank?

As I've never wired anyone else money before, I suppose I'm slightly concerned that if I suddenly wire money to a Thai bank account then my own bank might think it's a suspicious action - and suspend my account.       Is this a realistic concern?

• Confused 1

Best to phone your bank before sending to notify them. I did a large online payment from my UK bank via internet banking from here in Thailand. My bank suspended my internet banking until I personally go into my local UK branch with proof of ID, address etc.

So here I am, not able  to travel due to COVID, with no internet banking until I can do a trip to the UK.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

Best to phone your bank before sending to notify them. I did a large online payment from my UK bank via internet banking from here in Thailand. My bank suspended my internet banking until I personally go into my local UK branch with proof of ID, address etc.

So here I am, not able  to travel due to COVID, with no internet banking until I can do a trip to the UK.

I could have the same problem if I tried to wire money to a new account number from my US bank. I strongly recommend cash or a local transfer.

54 minutes ago, itsallmine68 said:

GET A RECEIPT I have been told numerous times I hadnt paid and then I produce the receipt . 

Same me , I was once kept at a hotel for 1 hour by the police because the stupid cashier didn’t write it down and left , only after someone going her home and she saying I paid did they let me go ,with a sorry . No receipt no money now , this was about 10 years ago 

• Like 1

Isn't it strange that we (you)  still say WIRE the money? A bit like TV news says 'Roll VTR footage'....they don't use VTR (video tape recorder) anymore, and footage is referring to old celluloid film.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, stouricks said:

Isn't it strange that we (you)  still say WIRE the money? A bit like TV news says 'Roll VTR footage'....they don't use VTR (video tape recorder) anymore, and footage is referring to old celluloid film.

I don't know how old you are, but I haven't heard anyone saying "wire" the money for a looooong looooong time. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I suppose I'm slightly concerned that if I suddenly wire money to a Thai bank account then my own bank might think it's a suspicious action - and suspend my account. 

They will not suspend your account, but may contact you to verify the transaction. Standard procedure.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I don't know how old you are, but I haven't heard anyone saying "wire" the money for a looooong looooong time. 

I wasn't the one saying WIRE the money, it was the OP, Banana Bandit last Friday. I am only 72!   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, phetphet said:

Oh man. That's rather nightmarish. Exactly what I'm afraid of happening. I thought I was being overly cautious, but apparently not. Sorry you have to endure that situation. I appreciate the warning. 

16 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Also depends on the amount.... transferring from bank there’s usually a place for Reason you could put tuition... 

Yes, make sure you put "Tuition" and not "Terrorism" or there could be a problem.  ???? 

2 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I apologize for my antiquated lingo. 

Pray do tell me:   What is the suitable current terminology?

Electronic Transfer. 

However, the data for such a transfer is transported over "wires" anyway.  ????

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 11:00 AM, Leaver said:

They will not suspend your account, but may contact you to verify the transaction. Standard procedure. 

When they verify, will it be through email or phone?    

If it's through phone, I could encounter trouble:    I don't have international service on my current Thai number, and the phone number connected to my bank account is some USA number I haven't used in 2-plus years, and which now probably belongs to somebody else for all I know. 

On 8/8/2020 at 12:55 PM, phetphet said:

You need a new home bank. Years ago when first coming to Thailand my ATM transactions or online wires were sometimes frozen by my US Bank. It had a number on card and on online web site to call for problems. I would call explain I was visiting Thailand answer some security questions and they would unfreeze acounts.  

You should be able to call them ,tell them you were on vacation ,the transaction is valid ,answer security questions like last deposit amount , fathers middle name ect and tell them unfreezze account and that you are trapped here do to covid and cannot  fly home to verify. Worse case they could have you get an affidavit from your embassy that you are who you say you are  and send that by fax, mail ect and unfreeze accounts.

7 minutes ago, Tony125 said:

You need a new home bank. Years ago when first coming to Thailand my ATM transactions or online wires were sometimes frozen by my US Bank. It had a number on card and on online web site to call for problems. I would call explain I was visiting Thailand answer some security questions and they would unfreeze acounts.  

You should be able to call them ,tell them you were on vacation ,the transaction is valid ,answer security questions like last deposit amount , fathers middle name ect and tell them unfreezze account and that you are trapped here do to covid and cannot  fly home to verify. Worse case they could have you get an affidavit from your embassy that you are who you say you are  and send that by fax, mail ect and unfreeze accounts.

The transfer was to my UK stockbroker to pay for some shares around beginning of March. It was refused and internet banking suspended.

I then called the bank's fraud department, went through all the questions and was told the suspension could still not be lifted and that my case would be passed further up the chain.

So then called the number I was given. Again answered all the security questions and explained that I was currently in Thailand for a couple of months and could not go into a bank to provide requested documents. Still would not lift suspension. So here I am, still in Thailand and no internet banking.

My one saving grace was that I can still (fingers crossed), transfer my pension via Transferwise using my debit card. A little bit more expensive, but better than nothing.

It's not so easy opening a new bank account in the UK nowadays when one is no longer resident. The banks don't seem to want to do it. Too many rules and regulations for them to comply with.

If I had first called the bank and notified them that I would be doing the transfer, I doubt I would have this suspension problem. That's why I recommended that the OP do this.

6 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

If it's through phone, I could encounter trouble:    I don't have international service on my current Thai number, and the phone number connected to my bank account is some USA number I haven't used in 2-plus years, and which now probably belongs to somebody else for all I know. 

You might want to order a MagicJack online. It's a small device that plugs into USB port on your computer or into router and gives you a USA number (can be your old phone number if you still own it) which allows you to call the US and Canada for free and allows anyone in US to call you for free. I spend hours talking to relatives and is great for when I have to call a bank or business 1-800 number and get put on hold forever. Think the yearly charge is like $35---$39  Since that is my registered number for calling my bank and a US number they never ask me any questions.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

My US credit union always verifies international wire transfers by phone - I submit the request through their app or website during the day here, and they call my Thai cell phone after they open (usually around 8pm in Bangkok) and ask a bunch of security questions. I'm not sure how (or if) they would handle it if I told them in advance that I couldn't be reached by phone; I agree with others that the OP would be well advised to ask his bank ahead of time what their procedure is.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rwill said:

Don't you have a Thai bank account you can use to pay them?

It sounds as though his funds are all abroad, so he'll have to find a way to transfer money regardless of whether he's sending it directly to the school or is putting it in his own Thai bank account first.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:12 PM, Max69xl said:

Actually, all of my banks in the US use the terms "international wire transfer" (meaning SWIFT) and "domestic wire transfer" (presumably meaning ACH, I've never used that service so I don't know for sure) on their lists of fees.

On 8/10/2020 at 7:33 AM, BananaBandit said:

If OTP is set up for your account, and it probably is, you will not be able to electronically transfer the money.  

You can Western Union into a bank account with cash.  That may be an option.

Edited by Leaver