Hit-and-run case: New focus on police forensic expert

rooster59

Hit-and-run case: New focus on police forensic expert

7C7B56CB-3DF4-4BE8-B391-26AA7D41566B.png

Pol Lt Col Thanasait Taengchan testifies before the House committee on law, justice and human rights. He holds the key to some crucial answers of the case.

The spotlight in the much-publicized hit-and-run incident involving an heir to the Red Bull business empire is now back on a police forensic expert whose account was crucial in leading to the public prosecutor’s decision to drop the case.

Police Lieutenant Colonel Thanasit Taengchan was a forensic expert at the Central Police Forensic Science Division in 2012 when Vorayuth Yoovidhya’s Ferrari slammed into a motorcycle driven by a police officer on a Bangkok street, killing him on the spot.  

Thanasit investigated the scene of the incident along with an expert from Chulalongkorn University and concluded that Vorayuth was driving at a speed of 177 km/h.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/hit-and-run-case-new-focus-on-police-forensic-expert/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-08-16

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Thanasit investigated the scene of the incident along with an expert from Chulalongkorn University and concluded that Vorayuth was driving at a speed of 177 km/h.

that is until someone will delete the 1 from the 177 and you will have 77kmh... and so the saga continues like in the Days of our lives TV show...

• Like 2

Impossible to be too accurate about how fast the car was being driven but I don't think it could have been 177 kph judging from the picture of the damage done :

redbull.jpg

A 177 kph collision would have sent the bike flying. Assuming this is that bike, apart from bent front forks it doesn't look that bad.

Edited by trucking
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

that is until someone will delete the 1 from the 177 and you will have 77kmh... and so the saga continues like in the Days of our lives TV show...

Again!!

177 was going through a CCTV screen, i.e. estimated speed on the same road just prior to shunt.

77 was estimated speed at point of impact, obviously after he was breaking.

The 2 speeds are at 2 different moments.

How to manipulate the truth!!????????????????

• Like 1

I suppose the object here is to reduce any 'expert' opinion too a piece of worthless rubbish by the hiring of eminent scientists capable of estimating the speed by divination with twigs to within 2 decimal places who will introduce reasonable doubt in the judges mind of the original report.

Anyone think this will end in Boss spending a night or two behind bars will be sorely disappointed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trucking said:

Impossible to be too accurate about how fast the car was being driven but I don't think it could have been 177 kph judging from the picture of the damage done :

redbull.jpg

A 177 kph collision would have sent the bike flying. Assuming this is that bike, apart from bent front forks it doesn't look that bad.

That's not the bike involved in the accident, just a police bike to illustrate. If you search back you will see that the front of the car is a total mess. Majority of the damage is covered by the bike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanasit, however, offered a dubious account as to how Saiprasit was introduced into the investigation process – four years after the incident.

He only said Saiprasit was introduced to him by “someone” in February, 2016.   He refused to identify the person.

And nobody yet has thought about asking who that "someone" is?

• Like 1

The prosecutor had the duty, authority and responsibility to question the police and experts before dismissing the case. Maybe some of Prosecutor's friends are trying to help deflect the blame from him to lower levels?

Edited by Banana7

1 hour ago, Maejo Man said:

That's not the bike involved in the accident, just a police bike to illustrate. If you search back you will see that the front of the car is a total mess. Majority of the damage is covered by the bike.

Well spotted. In any event the impact speed wouldn't have been 177 kph it would have been the difference between the speed of the police motorbike and the Red Bull heir's car. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, trucking said:

redbull.jpg

7 hours ago, trucking said:

As I pointed out eisewhere, both ferrari and bike were travelling in the same direction so  if Boss was clocking 177 kph and the cop was exceeding the speed limit (I know that sounds impossible - sarcasm)  the impact velocity would be much less than some people here are thinking of.

• Like 1

I question the photograph. According to the Police timeline yesterday, the Police tracked the oil slick from the car to the owner's home, meaning the car was not at the scene when the guy was arrested. Presumably, the car and bike were brought together so the 'forensics' team could reconstruct the impact, hence the rock under the motorbike sidestand.

With regards to the car travelling at 177kph and the bike at anything between 100 and 70 kph, impact would be equivalent to 77kph and 100 kph. The car screen on the left hand side appears damaged through blunt force impact.

77 kph is around 50mph, 100 is around d 60mph. I would have expected more damage on the bike and car at these impact speeds.

Have a look at this: I do realise that 120 mph is nearly 200 kph, but if a car hits something at 177 kph, the difference in damage would be negligble.

10 hours ago, Worldplus said:

It's who and what to believe in this case now...  It's dragged on to long and Boss is enjoying life without a care about it all..

He's free. But, unless completely stupid, he is constantly having to watch his back; he can't be too popular with the rank and file cops. 

3 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

I question the photograph. According to the Police timeline yesterday, the Police tracked the oil slick from the car to the owner's home, meaning the car was not at the scene when the guy was arrested. Presumably, the car and bike were brought together so the 'forensics' team could reconstruct the impact, hence the rock under the motorbike sidestand.

With regards to the car travelling at 177kph and the bike at anything between 100 and 70 kph, impact would be equivalent to 77kph and 100 kph. The car screen on the left hand side appears damaged through blunt force impact.

77 kph is around 50mph, 100 is around d 60mph. I would have expected more damage on the bike and car at these impact speeds.

Have a look at this: I do realise that 120 mph is nearly 200 kph, but if a car hits something at 177 kph, the difference in damage would be negligble.

That's not true. That's shows an solid immovable object impact and is not comparable at all to the accident in question.

• Like 1

That motorbike is not the real bike at the scene of the crime. The police are recreating the scene by using a stand-in motorbike. The Ferrari is the real vehicle in the accident. As you can see the Ferrari rammed the motorbike head on from behind. Regardless of how bad or not bad it looks, the fact is the man died.