End of visa amnesty may spell uncertainty for some expats in Thailand

2 minutes ago, trucking said:

Dito. I am preparing to do the 1 year extension with cash transfers as well but this is more difficult and depends on how friendly your local immigration office is. Need to go to mine for a ' chat ' before committing myself to either course. The only other option is to get 400,000 in the bank for 2 months seasoning.

I've committed to the money in the bank method but due to my procrastinating nature I miss out by about ten days for the seasoning which is why I'm trying for the special dispensation.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I am currently under a visa-exempt amnesty having failed to secure a Non-O multi in Savanakhet just before the borders closed last March.

How could you fail ? No financials needed and with Thai wife  ?

14 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I've committed to the money in the bank method but due to my procrastinating nature I miss out by about ten days for the seasoning which is why I'm trying for the special dispensation.

Well, if you had the 400,000 put in the bank by 1st September, that would give you the 2 months seasoning needed to apply for the yearly extension. ( assuming you were on your 60 day extension first )

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trucking said:

Well, if you had the 400,000 put in the bank by 1st September, that would give you the 2 months seasoning needed to apply for the yearly extension. ( assuming you were on your 60 day extension first )

I had to get it out of my super then it took four days to transfer because of my daily limit so I finished on the 6th Aug.My 60 day extension finished in March as I was preparing to go to Suvanakhet luckily I waited an extra two days for a mate otherwise I would have been stuck on the other side of the Mekong when the border closed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

However, there is another group of expats for which the end of the visa amnesty period may still spell some uncertainty.

This concerns those who stay in Thailand on a Non-O multiple entry visa. These are obtained from a Thai embassy or consulate overseas. 

There is a further group which consists of retirees who originally entered Thailand with a non-OA visa and had been planning to exit Thailand in order to obtain a single-entry non-O visa so as to avoid the mandatory TGIA-approved health insurance requirement before the borders to adjacent ASEAN countries were closed. Presumably retirees who fall into this category may also have no choice other than to up sticks and exit Thailand by 26 September unless they are able to comply with this particular requirement (which, by reason of age and/or existing health conditions, may not, of course, necessarily be possible)?

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I intend to go in tomorrow to seek "special dispensation" armed with my "embassy letter" and associated tale of woe is me!

might be easier to "arm" yourself with 10-25k in cash in your pocket ???? (1 year extension).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Ten days overstay and pay that fine at the same time you drop by to file the marriage extension which is after the money seasoning meets requirements.

Drop by your local Immigration office ahead of time and ask your friendly local IO if this 'ultra' special dispensation will be acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lizard2010 said:

That is if they can find a flight and country to go too

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Do those on non-o visa fit under number one.

image.png.933ae47abef648266794e156b61d4ab7.png

They do not fall under number 1 so it is number 2 for them.

image.png.3d4ecbeff404367112673845575ff57d.png

They might be able to apply for a extension for  medical treatment or with a letter from their embassy but that is not clear.

After that is only possible to apply for a one year extension under clause 2.18 or a 60 day extension under clause 2.24 of the order that only allows one per entry. What do they do it they cannot get either one.

The embassy letter regulation seems pretty clear to me.

A223F769-E35E-4746-8DC0-4B7628B085C1.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the Information Update. My Non-Imm O visa is due for renewal on October 02 , 2020. I have been renewing the Visa every year with the Income Affidavit Document from the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok, for the past 10 years. I am thinking of visiting the Immigration Office in Korat next week to update my 90 Day report and ask about my Non-Imm O Visa renewal. 

7 minutes ago, wmlc said:

The embassy letter regulation seems pretty clear to me.

The infographic is not official. The immigration notification is the only thing that is official.

It is only for those under number one in the notification.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Not to be a smart a$$, but where are they expected to go? An exodus to Cambodia?   Sierra Leone? Congo?  The flights to the EU are prohibitively expensive for many of them and too many have nowhere to go home to. I have a  feeling we could see  a few thousand people in dire straits.

Nan Laew has posted above how you can get Money for Nothing and flights for free 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, OJAS said:

There is a further group which consists of retirees who originally entered Thailand with a non-OA visa and had been planning to exit Thailand in order to obtain a single-entry non-O visa so as to avoid the mandatory TGIA-approved health insurance requirement before the borders to adjacent ASEAN countries were closed. Presumably retirees who fall into this category may also have no choice other than to up sticks and exit Thailand by 26 September unless they are able to comply with this particular requirement (which, by reason of age and/or existing health conditions, may not, of course, necessarily be possible)?

Like anything in Thailand I think there are solutions to this. I think one  of the regular posters will help you with this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

You would think that keeping Xpats in Thailand would be good

After all we put Millions into the Thai econamy

Who has been help keep the country going in the last few months  Xpats of course

There is no visa problem for most expats working in the Kingdom and they do appreciate the value of value added long term foreign tourists.  They have just launched a sales campaign for the Elite Card to attract foreign tourists already in the country. Unfortunately the reality seems to be that they have little interest in keeping foreigners who are not working and cannot afford the Elite Card and having Thai families doesn't make much difference them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lizard2010 said:

You would think that keeping Xpats in Thailand would be good

After all we put Millions into the Thai econamy

Who has been help keep the country going in the last few months  Xpats of course

We’ll if the country depends on Expats to keep it going, things are in much worse shape than I thought.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Not to be a smart a$$, but where are they expected to go? An exodus to Cambodia?   Sierra Leone? Congo?  The flights to the EU are prohibitively expensive for many of them and too many have nowhere to go home to. I have a  feeling we could see  a few thousand people in dire straits.

Turkey seems to be the closest location accessible, and w/o some "covid-security-theater" to enter.  Unless you show up with a high-fever, you are set.  Those who are EU citizens may have other options (I don't).

Bali did a 180-flip on opening in Sept (sad), so that appears to be out.  Any SE Asian country could open just one island (no risk to the general population), and thousands of expats would be there and spending money for months - until semi-normal travel is possible, again. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

As I interpret it you will have to leave by 26th and might not be able to come back in. Thai Immigration see it as a visa that gives 90 days at a time, not as a 1 year entitlement to stay. People on 1 yr extensions with re entry permits are not being allowed in, so why would 90 day family visit visa holders  be?

<removed>

It’s a 1 year multiple entry so what are you talking about 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

Turkey seems to be the closest location accessible, and w/o some "covid-security-theater" to enter.  Unless you show up with a high-fever, you are set.  Those who are EU citizens may have other options (I don't).

Bali did a 180-flip on opening in Sept (sad), so that appears to be out.  Any SE Asian country could open just one island (no risk to the general population), and thousands of expats would be there and spending money for months - until semi-normal travel is possible, again. 

Turkey though, you can only stay 90 days out of 180 days

22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Ten days overstay and pay that fine at the same time you drop by to file the marriage extension which is after the money seasoning meets requirements.

Drop by your local Immigration office ahead of time and ask your friendly local IO if this 'ultra' special dispensation will be acceptable.

If I can get around my "special dispensation" to procrastinate and my wife's need to work on our farm or someone else's farm I'll head in tomorrow.

There was also mention of being blacklisted immediately after the 26th Sept by backdating the overstay but that would be a bit harsh and it would also give the impression that foreigners are not welcome in Thailand.