How Fat is Thailand Getting?

Scaliwags66

lol, I guess you forget what going to Walmart is like, if the Thais were cannibals a Sat. nite there could feed the country for a year.

How many people in America are obese?
Over 70 million adults in U.S. are obese (35 million men and 35 million women). 99 million are overweight (45 million women and 54 million men). NHANES 2016 statistics showed that about 39.6% of American adults were obese.

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

lol, I guess you forget what going to Walmart is like, if the Thais were cannibals a Sat. nite there could feed the country for a year.

Over 70 million adults in U.S. are obese (35 million men and 35 million women). 99 million are overweight (45 million women and 54 million men). NHANES 2016 statistics showed that about 39.6% of American adults were obese.

If i recall right 2018 was the first year more people died of being obese then of hunger,shameful.

I think being of normal weight is the new skinny.!!!

Countless times i am being told i am skinny,i am not! my body fat is around 15 % not skinny at all!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jvs said:

If i recall right 2018 was the first year more people died of being obese then of hunger,shameful.

I think being of normal weight is the new skinny.!!!

Countless times i am being told i am skinny,i am not! my body fat is around 15 % not skinny at all!

it's just as shameful in the UK and Canada. If people don't buy into the masks/distancing big time this winter (when most things move inside in these countries) these immunity defeating conditions are set to kill a lot of folks..

• Like 1

I recall reading that on the obesity  scale  Thailand has  achieved  Number 2  slot  after the USA. More amazing  that  New Zealand  was  number 3 !

I always thought  the  British  would  be  way up there   because  eat so much  fat  <deleted> !

But my wife is  also a bit shocked  about  the  big  people  to  be seen in  Bangkok  now and oozing  outwards  into Thailand in general.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

I liken it to terrorism!

Wow . 

That's  exactly what i have been thinking .

KFC..?

Edited by elliss
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

No, that cannot possibly be right! Thailand is way down the list, by country. I did read that it was 2nd behind Malaysia in ASEAN. Maybe you confused it with that.

Even BFA (Big Fat America) isn't actually top of the list. That dubious honour goes to Nauru, somewhere out in the Pacific I believe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_obesity_rate

Y'all did read  my signature ? :)

1 hour ago, Yinn said:

Funny thread.

Farangs now complain about fat Thai people eat to much. ????

Maybe they never go to beach in Phuket? 

Or hotel breakfast buffet?

I is 42-44 kg. My mother 48kg. Father 58kg.

Ofcource all is not fat! But truth is Thai eat much! Like going dinner whit wife and our friends. We are in restaurant 2-3 houer! They eat all that time! I eat 15 minutes and drink 2 houer and then wife bla bla bla to me why im drunk lol. I have say wife "i oder one beer"! But in Thailand if you oder beer your class never empty and in bill can be 10 beer! Hmm... where that come from i oder one beer!:drunk:

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SteveK said:

When I was young, I'm sure I ate just as much garbage as the kids these days, I seem to remember spending my pocket money on giant pouches of maltesers and big cans of Tango. But when I had free time with my friends, we would always be out and about on our bicycles and being active. I used to cycle for miles with the kids in my neighbourhood looking for the best fishing spots. Now it's just all about mobile phone apps. I used to walk to school everyday, took me 40 minutes each way. Imagine asking a child to do that now! They'd want an Uber. 

You are correct. I ate loads of sugar and bad food when young, but didn't put on weight because active. Now kids don't do much except exercise their texting finger.

However, we ate less processed food then, and processed food is full of sugar and very bad chemicals. More bad chemicals used to grow food now than then, too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Yinn said:

Funny thread.

I used to eat lots at hotel breakfast buffet, but didn't eat another meal all day.

8 hours ago, impulse said:

What astounds me about the USA, where I'm stuck by Covid, isn't the sheer weight.  It's the distribution.  I see some folks with pretty normal upper bodies and huge butts/hips that look like they couldn't possibly be on the same body. 

That's got to be some kind of insidious food chemical thing, because there is no way to get that out of proportion just by eating too many calories and not exercising.  Some day, there's going to be a rash of whistleblowers from the food industry coming out with revelations that they've known all along that they're killing their customers.

BTW, about Nauru...  Its population is around 12,000.  I can show you apartment complexes in the USA where the 5,000 residents weight more than all the people of Nauru combined.  Especially if you could just weigh their butts.

Interesting observation, I always wonder how those huge butt type ppl get themselves on a toilet seat.

The overhang must be immense.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Exactly the point of the post. The American, and other western, (with japan included) way of life is introduced everywhere, including most of what Thais own. Cars, trucks, scooters, computers, phones, tractors, appliances, military equipment and guns, and food. The food, mostly sweet things, is the main reason they are getting bigger here. Simple carbs like sugar have to be burned off before the body can burn stored body fat, and like all other kids in the world, they start early, giving the kids snacks instead of healthy food. In America, the diet knowledge is far more than here, but the obesity rate is very high because people love sweets and the companies know this. Before I came here, I saw Thais, and Asians,  as a lean race, with a few exceptions. Now everywhere i look I see more and more people with weight problems. Here in Isaan, you would think that since they are subsistence farmers for the most part, most would be lean because farm work, especially in the heat all day, tends to keep you lean. But when you snack during the day on junk, then go home and eat a pound of rice, your body will grow.

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

Funny thread.

How about your dog though?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, impulse said:

What astounds me about the USA, where I'm stuck by Covid, isn't the sheer weight.  It's the distribution.  I see some folks with pretty normal upper bodies and huge butts/hips that look like they couldn't possibly be on the same body. 

That's got to be some kind of insidious food chemical thing, because there is no way to get that out of proportion just by eating too many calories and not exercising.  Some day, there's going to be a rash of whistleblowers from the food industry coming out with revelations that they've known all along that they're killing their customers.

BTW, about Nauru...  Its population is around 12,000.  I can show you apartment complexes in the USA where the 5,000 residents weight more than all the people of Nauru combined.  Especially if you could just weigh their butts.

Women tend to store extra body fat in the hips and legs, while men usually in the abdomen. In women, it's stored there because of hormones, and helps during pregnancy and lactation.

9 hours ago, Yinn said:

Funny thread.

It isn't a complaint, but an observation. People are fat everywhere, and all for the same reasons. You and your family are considered skinny, even without knowing your heights. If your dad is 5'5" or less, then it is considered normal weight, without taking into consideration body fat percentage. You are normal weight for a man 5' tall (152cm)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

It isn't a complaint, but an observation. People are fat everywhere, and all for the same reasons. You and your family are considered skinny, even without knowing your heights. If your dad is 5'5" or less, then it is considered normal weight, without taking into consideration body fat percentage. You are normal weight for a man 5' tall (152cm)

I exercise a bit, and can't stop losing weight.

Am 6' tall and was 76Kg last month, edging down to 75Kg now.

And this is with drinking a litre of Pepsi every day.

It's not the diet making people fat, it's the lack of exercise.

Nobody exercises any more, children just sit in front of the TV.

• Like 2