Pattaya: Gold shop owners ripped off for 9 million baht by fake gold gang: One Laotian arrested

webfact

Pattaya: Gold shop owners ripped off for 9 million baht by fake gold gang: One Laotian arrested

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A married couple who own a gold shop in the Pattaya area went to the Nong Prue police after they discovered they had fallen victim to a gang passing off silverware coated in real gold.

Krit and Anatda are the owners of the Nit Thian shop and had 376 baht weight of fake gold chains and CCTV evidence with them.

Over a five week period they said they had been conned by up to 12 people who claimed to be building contractors who needed to pawn their gold to pay workers. 

The first person to come in was an old guy who pawned several four baht weight chains at a fee of 24,000 baht per baht. 

Following the success of this others came in and were given 72,000 baht, 96,000 baht and 120,000 baht a time. 

Total losses added up to nine million baht. 

Anatda explained that the shop was unable to scratch the gold surface to find out what was underneath but after their suspicions were aroused they decided to make a check. They would compensate the owner if the gold was genuine.

88.jpg

Picture: PPTV 36

Their worst fears were realized. 

PPTV 36 later reported that Nong Prue police had arrested one of the gang, a 43 year old man from Laos, who has admitted being in league with three or four others. 

Sources: Sanook | PPTV 36

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-18

• Haha 2

I buy antiques in the UK and a certain group of sellers try to pass off silver plate as solid silver. Even at my ripe old age I cannot understand why people have to 'cheat' to make a living especially in the west considering the opportunities. Good job I never applied (was qualified) to be a magistrate or judge as I would have started with the ducking stool and progressed to thumb screws pretty quick with the offenders. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Anatda explained that the shop was unable to scratch the gold surface to find out what was underneath

Why were they unable to ? It's up to the shop to determine that the the stuff they are going to buy is the real thing, Right? if they aren't Sure Don't buy. 

• Like 2

Every Gold shoppe should have a Thermo Scientific Niton XL2 800 XRF Analyzer Alloy Precious Metals XL2-800 for Gold. Once calibrated, accuracy is 100%. Plus, they are reasonably priced at $16,000.00 USD for a quality used, refurbished and calibrated for accuracy unit. I previously had an upgraded model for my mining operation which cost $32,000.00 USD but it had full spectrum of minerals on the Periodic Table I was searching for. The photo is what the Gold shoppes should have.

s-l1600.jpg