time wasted on things in life

opalred

My socks are always held together in pairs with safety pins. In the drawer and in the wash. The only time the safety pin comes off is when the socks are on my feet. I have not had trouble with lost or mismatched socks for decades.

Trying to understand what is the process to get something done in Thailand, then filling out all the documents in triplicate!!

Sitting a day at immigration office every 90 days for a visa extension! 

Waiting for a CM bus using the timetable!

Trying to get past a hoard of Chinese walking on the footpath! 

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You must live a sad life if matching up socks is the most important thing in your life. Who wears socks in Thailand anyway? 

Erh, a lot of people! Not everyone just exists in a pair of flip flopps!

Do you match your flip flops with a nice singha vest?

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2020 at 11:51 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not wearing any socks since I came to Thailand more than 20 years ago. I guess I won the price.

I guess over the years I wasted some time with the wrong girls but I guess that was necessary to find the right girls. C'est la vie.

Every time I came to LOS on holiday I went back with many of those cheap white socks available everywhere. Only lasted a few washes, but so cheap didn't matter. Never had a problem matching socks!

Soon as I gave up work I gave up on shoes that need socks. I was wearing flip flops in LOS, but can't get decent ones here ( all made in China rubbish ) so now wear Crocks. Still made in China rubbish, but don't have inferior straps to break easily. Last about a year before sole wears out.

I was lucky in that the vast majority of girls in LOS were nice, though still had the occasional mistake. Never mind- all educational and part of the rich tapestry of life in LOS.

1 hour ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Erh, a lot of people! Not everyone just exists in a pair of flip flopps!

Do you match your flip flops with a nice singha vest?

Many Thais do live in flip flops. They have the benefit of being able to buy decent Gambol brand flip flops.

I always wore those cheap white T shirts. Never been into wearing singlets in public.

5 hours ago, Dexxter said:

My socks are always held together in pairs with safety pins. In the drawer and in the wash. The only time the safety pin comes off is when the socks are on my feet. I have not had trouble with lost or mismatched socks for decades.

Wow,i hope you do not find my question to philosophical  but how do you keep track of the safety pins?

• Haha 1

On 8/18/2020 at 6:59 PM, bkk6060 said:

I think a 4 year degree is time wasted.

Nothing wrong with getting a degree, but it could be condensed into one year.  So many unnecessary requirements that do not enhance ones ability to get a job or be successful.

Remembering back many years ago of course professors who loved to hear themselves talk 3 hour lectures when they could get the point across in 15 minutes.  4 years of girls wanting to experiment with their sexuality was the only redeeming value of it.

Ha,ha,ha, (in thai is 555)

27 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Soon as I gave up work I gave up on shoes that need socks. I was wearing flip flops in LOS, but can't get decent ones here ( all made in China rubbish ) so now wear Crocks. Still made in China rubbish, but don't have inferior straps to break easily. Last about a year before sole wears out

Did you ever try to buy brand name flip-flops in department stores? They last forever.

If you buy 100B flip-flops you shouldn't be surprised if they work like that.

On 8/18/2020 at 6:59 PM, bkk6060 said:

I think a 4 year degree is time wasted.

Nothing wrong with getting a degree, but it could be condensed into one year.  So many unnecessary requirements that do not enhance ones ability to get a job or be successful.

Remembering back many years ago of course professors who loved to hear themselves talk 3 hour lectures when they could get the point across in 15 minutes.  4 years of girls wanting to experiment with their sexuality was the only redeeming value of it.

Of  course I don't know where you went to college, but except for a few specific course I found the curriculum at my college gave me a deeper understanding of life than just specific knowledge in my major.

It was worth the time and effort for me. Too bad you feel it was wasted. 

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Of  course I don't know where you went to college, but except for a few specific course I found the curriculum at my college gave me a deeper understanding of life than just specific knowledge in my major.

It was worth the time and effort for me. Too bad you feel it was wasted. 

My college taught me nothing. That's not completely true. It did prove that people can be nasty and horrid.

Everything I know I learned after I left school.

It is of course possible that you are an American and have the strange habit of calling university "college".

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My college taught me nothing. That's not completely true. It did prove that people can be nasty and horrid.

Everything I know I learned after I left school.

It is of course possible that you are an American and have the strange habit of calling university "college".

I also knew people in college who got next to nothing out of the time they spent there. 

I too learned a lot about life after college, having the advantage of lots of international travel due to the knowledge and skills I gained at school. 

I met a wide range of people on different continents and found some good and some not so good. 

One of the things I learned is that people usually get out of a situation pretty much what they put into it. 

Sorry that the first two decades of your life were fruitless and that everyone you met was horrible. I hope things have gotten better for you since then. I guess many cultural norms seem strange depending on how provincial your life has been. 

12 hours ago, Matzzon said:

No, no! We are right. It was the creation of the thread, that I meant. ????????????????????

As I've said before - it is difficult to click laugh and like at the same time

12 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I also knew people in college who got next to nothing out of the time they spent there. 

I too learned a lot about life after college, having the advantage of lots of international travel due to the knowledge and skills I gained at school. 

I met a wide range of people on different continents and found some good and some not so good. 

One of the things I learned is that people usually get out of a situation pretty much what they put into it. 

Sorry that the first two decades of your life were fruitless and that everyone you met was horrible. I hope things have gotten better for you since then. I guess many cultural norms seem strange depending on how provincial your life has been. 

Not everyone I met was horrible, just a lot of them.

Best thing I ever did was joining up and traveling the world. Now that was an education!

Life in my third decade on earth was the best decade of my life. Then I met a woman who trapped me in a loveless relationship and it went to poo. Didn't get better till I walked out on her and went back to traveling the world. That was when I discovered Thailand and learned that sex could be enjoyable.

That was a great time for nearly 2 decades till I went stupido and got married. That was when the fat lady sang.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not everyone I met was horrible, just a lot of them.

Best thing I ever did was joining up and traveling the world. Now that was an education!

Life in my third decade on earth was the best decade of my life. Then I met a woman who trapped me in a loveless relationship and it went to poo. Didn't get better till I walked out on her and went back to traveling the world. That was when I discovered Thailand and learned that sex could be enjoyable.

That was a great time for nearly 2 decades till I went stupido and got married. That was when the fat lady sang.

Well, on the average I think you've done well. I regret at least 5 years of my ten year marriage, but have found a great relationship here, so far anyway. I'm avoiding marriage and my Thai lady sees no point in it either. 

Life does have a way of "grinding you down" as my mother used to say. Now it is easy to see what she meant. Katherine Hepburn famously said that "Geting old is not for p*ssies." I totally get that too. 

Really it sounds like you've done quite well. I once told my psychologist after my contentious divorce that "humans are useless bags of s**t". He asked me if I included myself and I said "Absolutely". I've mellowed a bit now and think that most folks do the best they can even if that's not very well at times. That also goes for me. 

Onward thru the fog! 

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted ( was it Einstein who said that?) Otherwise how could you enjoy yourself. For instance you talk to bar girls and everybody is laughing because they like your jokes. End of the day you tip her. She send money home in Essan for the sick buffalo (you forgot the buffalo? Oh,how could you.)

Is better than donating to the temple where ever so often the donation box is stolen by bad young men wanting to do what you do, i.e. talking to bar girls having a good time and tipping them end of the day.

21 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Well, on the average I think you've done well. I regret at least 5 years of my ten year marriage, but have found a great relationship here, so far anyway. I'm avoiding marriage and my Thai lady sees no point in it either. 

Life does have a way of "grinding you down" as my mother used to say. Now it is easy to see what she meant. Katherine Hepburn famously said that "Geting old is not for p*ssies." I totally get that too. 

Really it sounds like you've done quite well. I once told my psychologist after my contentious divorce that "humans are useless bags of s**t". He asked me if I included myself and I said "Absolutely". I've mellowed a bit now and think that most folks do the best they can even if that's not very well at times. That also goes for me. 

Onward thru the fog! 

Thank you. I wuz lucky that I worked with a guy that recommended the forces. Had I not met him I'd have been working too hard on a farm for a real pittance, met and married some farm girl, had children that grew up to hate me, divorced and lived miserably till I offed myself.

On such chance meetings does life's opportunities hang.

My first relationship I blame on ignorance, but my second I blame on stupididity.

I did really well in everything except relationships. Unfortunately none of my schools educated us in such things. They taught me Latin and history etc, but nothing about how to live. Schools, IMO, exist only to provide somewhere to park the kids while the grown ups go to work. I learned nothing worthwhile in my 13 years of school.

I once told my psychologist after my contentious divorce that "humans are useless bags of s**t". He asked me if I included myself and I said "Absolutely".

I didn't see a psychologist after my first breakup, but I reckon that would have been my opinion at that time too. Took me decades to get over the trauma. I did well to ditch the <deleted>, but I missed the "being in a relationship" part.

I guess I was just lucky not to get involved with another <deleted> again as long as I did.

If I have any words of "wisdom" to offer others, it would be don't ask get married till you have lived with her for 5 years, and then wait another 5 years while "engaged". By that time her true colours should have shown.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 8:37 PM, whiteman said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Nothing to stop you moving on. Four pages on tells you some posters are happy with it.

Edited by possum1931

On 8/18/2020 at 10:14 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

It's the only way to get through here. Imagine living here and always being sober??

Being sober.  you mean Kindlers , so sad ...

On 8/22/2020 at 8:26 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If I have any words of "wisdom" to offer others, it would be don't ask get married till you have lived with her for 5 years, and then wait another 5 years while "engaged". By that time her true colours should have shown.

Indeed . 

My words of wisdom , would be,  don't get married until, the end is nigh .

If i may quote the Good Book , three score and ten ...

Over seventy , you shouldn't  really be here ....

Edited by elliss

10 minutes ago, opalred said:

another wasted time was having to learn french at school in oz years ago 

traveled the world years ago and only once close to using it 

took a french girl home once had french kiss /

And, French Fries