Big bike riders will now need separate licence

webfact

46 minutes ago, impulse said:

I don't understand the energy behind making other people wear helmets.  If the other guy's not wearing a helmet, he poses no additional risk to my safety.

It doesn't affect your safety, but it can still have an impact on you.

Just imagine you have an accident with a motorbike. If he dies, even if it's not your fault, you might think for the rest of your life about if you could have avoided it. Or imagine it is your fault, if he dies you killed a person. With a helmet he might still be alive.

I have a 2 year power/cc unlimited Thai bike license and an "up to 25kW" lifetime bike license from Switzerland.

But I am driving no bike in Thailand just now. Does this mean that my old Thai license will currently remain valid a) for any bike big or small until it needs to be renewed b) only up to the limit of a big bike as defined in Thailand in the future c) only up to the limit of my Swiss bike license (see the google translated text) and do I need to change/reapply for a new Thai license anyway (which category would this then be ?) once this all will be implemented ?

11 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I hate to say this but I will, make them all get a license and wear a helmet first, stop under age riders most of the guys I know with a so called big bike are more experienced

Yes indeed, getting priorities in a twist again. Most people who have worked their up to larger motorcycle have a more professional approach as you say.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrfill said:

They did that 30 years ago. The cbr400 was an i4 version of the vfr400.

Bit of a difference between that,  and a 650cc being sleeved down to 400cc.

Kawasaki do it in Japan with the Ninja 650. They sleeve it down to 400cc for the licencing laws.

So you get the weight and bulk of a 650, with the power of a 400. ???? 

42 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Just imagine you have an accident with a motorbike. If he dies, even if it's not your fault, you might think for the rest of your life about if you could have avoided it. Or imagine it is your fault, if he dies you killed a person. With a helmet he might still be alive.

I understand that, and don't disagree.  But statistics say I should be 20-40 times as concerned that they're choosing a scooter in the first place.  Low wage Thai's, I understand.  They have little choice.  Even less once they started banning riding in the back of a pickup.  But not the flip-flop wearing falangs.

Edit:  As an aside, and off topic, that's another judgement I see here on TVF all the time.  Why don't they enforce the law about riding in the back of a pickup?  I figure it's because the cops know that the alternative is even worse...  Force them to ride 2 up on half a dozen scooters.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

should really start at 250cc or more. But realistically should be a bike that you can't pick it up if you drop it, or it takes you more than 5 minutes to do so..

Interesting thought. I decided that in my 20's the first time I laid my bike down on gravel. That's been my rule ever since. I ride a Click now and I weigh in at a scrawny 140# when I'm dripping wet. 

A secondary criterion is that my feet must be able to touch the ground. That's comes in really handy when stopping the bike and dismounting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

A secondary criterion is that my feet must be able to touch the ground. That's comes in really handy when stopping the bike and dismounting. 

And brake failure.  Just ask Fred and Barney...

• Haha 2

So now farangs get fined when driving a big bike, even they have a "small" motor license from back home? 5555

As there are now 3 classes of CC in theory if looking at EU driving licenses. Car usually incl until 30-40kmph and then motor for anything heavier. They earn boat loads on that with tourists as even a cute pink scooter here can go 100kmph..

I would state they should make motor clothing and special helmet mandatory over licenses with big bikes.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

1 hour ago, Robin said:

It might be a better idea to insist that everyone who rides any size of m/c in Thailand has a licence and wears a decent helmet.

That anyone undergoes a government checked training, in traffic rules and in practical driving. And yes, most helmets in Thailand are not decent, but garbage suitable as rain protection...

Edited by P100
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

So now farangs get fined when driving a big bike, even they have a "small" motor license from back home? 5555

If you only have a "small bike" license in your home country you were never allowed to ride a motorcycle in Thailand.

4 hours ago, lensta said:

No, actually he didn't. It is a rule, although a stupid one just like it is illegal to drive a car when not wearing a shirt. 

and not wearing underpants ????. So I'm breaking the law by riding my bike in the daytime with my headlights on? I do know that it is against the law in one of the countries bordering Thailand, but not in Thailand itself, although it would not surprise me.

Imagine that, every motorbike agent in Thailand is breaking the law every time they sell a new bike. ????.

Curious what I will get, have to renew my license next month for the third time.

So that would then before the 120 days after the resolution and when the regulation came in action I, and many others, would still have the old style license for no more then 5 years.

(except for the lifetime ones).

Or they will already have the big bike license for renewals.. ?

We will see.

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

That's kinda my point...  They'd be safer in the back of a pick-em-up truck, even if it is illegal...

until the pick up truck hits something and they all get ejected from the bed of the truck and die en-mass, but yes a little safer, but not much.

Edited by ThailandRyan

23 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

until the pick up truck hits something and they all get ejected from the bed of the truck and die en-mass, but yes a little safer, but not much.

Neither one is ideal, but economic reality dictates some pretty stark choices when you can't afford a car with a seat and seat belts for everyone.  I'd take my chances in the back of a pickup if those were my affordable choices, especially on a long drive.

Edit:  I'd also point out that everyone on that scooter needs to be sober.  Riding in the back of a pickup- not so much.  You just need a designated driver.

Edited by impulse

14 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

how does one prove has many years on big bike ????????????????????????????

No idea how Thai's will prove that but my UK licence gives the date I passed my bike test - of course that doesn't prove I've ridden one but you'd hope that would be enough. On top of that, by the time I need to renew my Thai licence I will be able to prove ownership of a 650 for over 5 years. 

I guess these things will all come out in time - but, will this actually happen?  I seem to remember the points system for driving licences was supposed to start last December - heard nothing recently.  Inter province vans were going to be banned as was riding in the back of a pick up truck following some horrific accidents - hasn't happened.

for SURE its the  big  bikes that have the overwhelming amount of  accidents  in Thailand,  in NO  way is it scooters, no not at all as I hardly ever see a  scooter  yet alone one driven on the wrong side of the road with a helmetless moron at the controls who has had the indicator on for the last 2  weeks and removed the  mirrors to match the empty space between its ears.....GOD they are so dumb! YEAH  BIG  BIKES licence thatll sort it in no  time, if  only they werent so cheap thats probably why I see so many BIG  bikes everywhere in Thailand......never  see a scooter  though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, lensta said:

No, actually he didn't. It is a rule, although a stupid one just like it is illegal to drive a car when not wearing a shirt. 

Apparently one cannot leave their abode with no underwear on either..... Wonder how thats policed !!

16 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

That means for a SR 400 with 21HP you will need a license and a Yamaha MT-03 with 42HP you do not need a license. Thai logic.

Most countries around the world use engine capacity for grading licenses. There are exceptions where smaller displacement bikes produce more power than bikes slightly larger. It's hard to set policies for all situations. What would you have them do? It's great that you take any and every chance to tout your superior logic through where you parents made out! You might want to look in the mirror when it comes to questioning reasoning skills.

15 hours ago, TKDfella said:

I am not a biker so I stand to be corrected but...most of the accidents I've seen or read about have been the lesser cc variety...maybe people on a small m/c acting like it's a big m/c, eh?

Correct. Small bikes are 90%+ of the market and the majority of accidents. Bigger bikes make more of a mess when they crash at high speed. It is easy to blame the bike for the accident if traveling too fast, so this becomes newsworthy... Given the bike test is not a test of any skill on a bike, it is no surprise that having/not having a Thai license is not a factor in accidents.

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is more to it than that. Road deaths have economic impact. Some costs are incurred documenting and dealing with it; police and coroner etc. The riders are typically of working age so they reduce production and companies need to hire replacements. Until Covid Thailand has under 1% unemployment so premature death is a driver of inflation. A few years ago there were 20,000 long-standing vacancies across all Amata estates alone! All those could be filled by one year's death toll! There may also be insurance payouts, even the insurance that comes with road tax needs to be funded and paid for.

Then there is the imposition of suffering on the victims family members and friends who have to deal with potentially avoidable death of a relative or loved one. You are dead right about guilt. I almost caused an accident with a biker 30 years ago in the UK and still catch myself reliving the experience when I ride! I stopped my car got out and kicked the curbs cursing myself and shaking from the experience. The biker turned around, came back and asked if I was ok! Top bloke!

On 8/19/2020 at 9:14 AM, AndyAndyAndy said:

What is considered a big bike?

In Netherlands, anything 50cc and up.  Not big bike but Motorcycles, all the same category as big bikes.

Anything under 50cc is a 'Brommer' (moped).

Difference between them is the age of the driver, tax and the need to have a driving test be done.

I consider, in Thailand, a big bike are the ones that have hard time driving trough the traffic on Vibhavadi road during rush time.