Big bike riders will now need separate licence

webfact

57 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Big bike riders will now need separate licence .  

In Aus one can ride a bike up to 660 cc  if you want to ride a bigger bike you have to upgrade you're bike licence.

Dunno where in Aus you are talking about but in QLD your information is not accurate.

Once you have an open licence you can ride any bike, you get an open licence after you hold  your RE (LAMS) licence for 2 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your question was exactly the same as mine as I can not find a google answer.  I have a new Yamaha XMax 300 and its considered a Maxi-Scooter, so not sure what classifies a big bike.  I had a Honda CBR 250 prior and thought that was considered a Big Bike as I called it a crotch rocket. Had a Harley in the US, but too expensive and to big to get around on one here in Bangkok.  The XMax is just perfect, but still big enough for long rides

600cc and up it will be

A news source from the department said the regulations are part of its efforts to reduce the increasing number of accidents caused especially by big bikes, as these are more powerful than regular motorcycles and need a higher level of skill and experience to ride.

And who's testing the idiots who're trying to kill me on my big bike on daily basis? 

It's true that bigger bikes need much more attention and experience to ride. But would they make a proper job, including how long it would take to brake down to zero from 140 km when it's raining?

But it's a start, too many people die on Thailand's roads on big bikes. 

Here's a part of an article where they aren't sure what a big bike is. IMO, they should start with 250 cc rice cookers. 

These accidents underline the dangers inherent in riding big bikes, which have become very popular. The Land Transport Department has defined a big bike as a motorcycle with and engine capacity of 400cc or more. But others, including the Road Safety Thailand Policy Foundation, say it should start from 250cc.Jul 31, 2019

Edited by teacherclaire

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Pineapple01 wrote that it was estimated the bike was doing 150kmh. 

3 Cars were crossing traffic and the bike wizzed between two of them. 

The motorcycle is most definitely complicit in this accident while pineapple01 also accepts his part in causing an accident which shows a level of humility. 

Unreal is your sanctimonious response....

Thank You for explaining my Second Language that appears to some as rather Poor. It was a very Traumatic event. What i still remember is the Thais involved anger at the Lad. Would more Testing alter the Thai Mindset.?. Im not sure. 

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Dunno where in Aus you are talking about but in QLD your information is not accurate.

Once you have an open licence you can ride any bike, you get an open licence after you hold  your RE (LAMS) licence for 2 years.

Ok big mouth this Is QLD before you shoot you're mouth of : This is what I found , Unless you have  got an Updated one?

Motorcycle licence and engine size rules

Licence classes

There are 2 classes of motorcycle licence:

• RE licence (learner, provisional, probationary or open)
  • R licence (provisional, probationary or open).

Read more about motorcycle licence classes.

Engine size rules for RE licence holders

As an RE licence holder you can ride a learner approved motorcycle.

The learner approved motorcycle scheme (LAM Scheme) gives you access to a range of motorcycles and scooters that are appropriate to your level of experience.

Under the LAM Scheme, a learner approved motorcycle is a production motorcycle that is fitted with an electric motor, or has an internal combustion engine with a capacity of not more than 660mL, and:

• a power-to-weight ratio that does not exceed 150kW/t
  • has not been modified (other than for an allowable modification)
  • is included on the LAM Scheme list of approved motorcycles.

Motorcycles produced prior to 1960 and do not exceed 660 mL will be included within the scheme.

Individually built (custom made) motorcycles will not be considered for inclusion in the LAM Scheme.

As an RE provisional or open licence holder, you can learn to ride an R motorcycle if you have held an RE provisional or open licence for at least 2 years. You must ride under the direction of a person who currently holds and has held an R open licence for at least 1 year.

Note: If you got your RE provisional or open licence before 1 October 2016 you can learn to ride an R motorcycle after you have held your RE provisional or open licence for at least 1 year.

Engine size rules for class R licence holders

As a class R licence holder (provisional, probationary or open), you can ride a motorcycle of unlimited engine size.

3 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Ok big mouth this Is QLD before you shoot you're mouth of : This is what I found , Unless you have  got an Updated one?

Motorcycle licence and engine size rules

Licence classes

There are 2 classes of motorcycle licence:

• RE licence (learner, provisional, probationary or open)
  • R licence (provisional, probationary or open).

Read more about motorcycle licence classes.

Engine size rules for RE licence holders

As an RE licence holder you can ride a learner approved motorcycle.

The learner approved motorcycle scheme (LAM Scheme) gives you access to a range of motorcycles and scooters that are appropriate to your level of experience.

Under the LAM Scheme, a learner approved motorcycle is a production motorcycle that is fitted with an electric motor, or has an internal combustion engine with a capacity of not more than 660mL, and:

• a power-to-weight ratio that does not exceed 150kW/t
  • has not been modified (other than for an allowable modification)
  • is included on the LAM Scheme list of approved motorcycles.

Motorcycles produced prior to 1960 and do not exceed 660 mL will be included within the scheme.

Individually built (custom made) motorcycles will not be considered for inclusion in the LAM Scheme.

As an RE provisional or open licence holder, you can learn to ride an R motorcycle if you have held an RE provisional or open licence for at least 2 years. You must ride under the direction of a person who currently holds and has held an R open licence for at least 1 year.

Note: If you got your RE provisional or open licence before 1 October 2016 you can learn to ride an R motorcycle after you have held your RE provisional or open licence for at least 1 year.

Engine size rules for class R licence holders

As a class R licence holder (provisional, probationary or open), you can ride a motorcycle of unlimited engine size.

Yeah its the modern day learner proviiosnal L and P plate licence setup when I got my car licence many years ago.

I got my LAMS licence March 2019. I'll be elgible for my open (R) licence in March 2021 so will fly home at Songkran and get it.

Hopefully you read your own cut and pasted and understand the error of your ways confusing a provisional restricted licence with an open licence.

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

a few years back, I was stopped by a police officer at a traffic box, and had to pay a fine of 200 baht because I had my headlights on during the dark and cloudy day while riding the motorbike.  He told me "No lights on during the day allowed", I told him I have my lights on because I want to be noticed by other vehicles because its pretty dark, my bike is gray and without the lights on I blend in with the surroundings.  He told me pay the fine, and no lights.......gotta figure safety was important, but not.

and I supposed you just paid the fine. Everyone knows this police officer has made up this rule himself.

Welcome to the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

• Haha 1

Big  bike  ..Ok I  can explain  what a big  bike is  in Australia

It  is  based  on power  to weight  ratio  for  example  most  sports  bikes  at  650cc  need  a  full  licence  at least  1 year  ridibf smaller  bike  Plus  obtain a  full bike license  from a test  and training

However  some  bikes  are  still  classed  as   not  big  even at  650 cc  as the  power  to  weight  ratio  if they are cruisers  heavy  bikes  which  are classed  as LAM  or  approved  without  full Licence  ..like the  Yamaha  star 650  cruiser  but  a Yamaha  650  sports  bike is high  powered  and needs  a Full license.

Harley  Davidson  and Honda  alsp  have  500 -650 cc  bikes  classed  as LAM  no need  for  full licence.

In Australia  the  training  for a full licence  on a bike bike is very  thorough 

I  doubt  this willbe applied in  Thailand  where  a  big  bike  licence  can possiby  be purchased  anyway 

Or  most  willnot even bother   cos  chance  of being cought  is  mimimal  as police   just  cannot   get you on the  crowded raods  anyway 

Nice  try  but  it will never  work  in Thailand  

I ride  2  big  bikes  a  Halry  1800  cc  and   big  Roadliner Yamaha  1900 cc  

But no way on Gods  earth would I ride those bikes in Thailand 

Without   driving  sence   education and half a brain  the road  Toll  in Thailand  will never get  better ....They cannot  drive  fullstop

Sorry

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I have been riding my cbr650f since 2014 and I can tell you it's the young riders

that ride bad, always trying to drag me off at the lights.It's just another way to make 

money.I bet the licence will cost more. Have you noticed ever since the virus came

to town there has been more and more new rules coming our way.

Not just since the virus, since the military educated soldiers took over. I hope more and more adults help the students in their protests and get a democratically government elected.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah its the modern day learner proviiosnal L and P plate licence setup when I got my car licence many years ago.

I got my LAMS licence March 2019. I'll be elgible for my open (R) licence in March 2021 so will fly home at Songkran and get it.

Hopefully you read your own cut and pasted and understand the error of your ways confusing a provisional restricted licence with an open licence.

You Full of it, you won't be flying anywhere  ,Don't reply to my posts you always try to put people down Guess what, It don't bother me one way or the other .  :mfr_closed1:  

Just now, digger70 said:

You Full of it, you won't be flying anywhere  ,Don't reply to my posts you always try to put people down Guess what, It don't bother me one way or the other .  :mfr_closed1:  

Why are you so angry ?.

Chillax bro.

But I must ask, how do you know I wont be flying home next year... please do tell have annual leave approved and the HR lady will be booking my flight.

1 minute ago, Andre0720 said:

“The objectives of these regulations are to reduce road accidents"

How about just starting policing the roads..... Kind of just enforcing the existing laws.

A law that is not enforced is the same as no law at all...

No thanks, speeding tickets generated by stationary revenue raising camera's is bad enough.

Something like 26,000 road deaths in Thailand every year, 75% involve motorcycles. How many of those are big bikes, very few I would think. This is typical of the junta, trying to look like they are doing something when they are actually doing 0, but hey, an easy fix.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and I supposed you just paid the fine. Everyone knows this police officer has made up this rule himself.

Welcome to the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

No, actually he didn't. It is a rule, although a stupid one just like it is illegal to drive a car when not wearing a shirt. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean ‘snatch and jerk’ above the head???

Pretty much any bike can be uprighted by a normally abled / sized person - its just technique. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with how to pick up a heavy bike. 

No I am not unfamiliar but I have helped a few thai do it before. And they are clueless. 

-6 month study with initial 3 month strict enforcement on motorcycles checking for license.helmets,age etc. Those with no identification impound (daily fee) moto until proper identification presented. 

- After 3 months look at data moto cc accidents,deaths etc. to see result to see if improvements. 

From my opinion it’s not a big bike issue. I’m a motorcycle enthusiast and

up here in NE very few big bikes. On weekends I see groups under age children buzzing around on their motos quasi tricked out .... 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree that everyone riding a ‘bigger bike’ should have a licence for that classification of bike.

The classification obviously needs to be based on power / capacity.

400cc up would make sense.

All of that said: There seems to be a daft degree of sanctimony in this deal of ‘big bike rider needing a separate licence’ as this will do very little to limit the accidents for the following reasons.

- Most accidents / deaths involve smaller bikes

- Most deaths are are a result of no helmet

- Shops will still rent out big bikes to those with no licence

- Police will not police it - so its a moot point anyway, no one will get it

Yes I agree that it is the person and probably not the size of the bike. Size doesn’t matter is what the gals say. 

Most "big" bike riders are not weaving in and out of the traffic like a great amount of the Thi riders with their noisy little 155cc machines, riding like the own the roads, no helmets and generally thumbing their nose at the road rules. So Mr Government man  are you goinh to enforce the wearing of helmet rule?  From my personal obsevation,  not wearing a helmet in an accident will escalate greater damage than those who ride to live. Keep it big guys and gals

All the licensing and testing in the world won't help until they actually enforce the laws.  Seeing hundreds of westerners over the years going native and flaunting traffic regulations is proof of that.  They wouldn't dream of driving like that back home where the odds of getting caught and fined are so much higher...  But turn them loose on Thai roads where there are no chase vehicles and they seem to go wild.

On that note, I'd also suggest a separate (and much higher) fine schedule for folks who can afford big bikes.  I can understand the humanity in small fines for the average rider who may be struggling financially anyway.  But a 500 baht fine means nothing to a guy who just ponied up a million baht for a Harley...

12 minutes ago, Bobydog said:

Most "big" bike riders are not weaving in and out of the traffic like a great amount of the Thi riders with their noisy little 155cc machines, riding like the own the roads, no helmets and generally thumbing their nose at the road rules. So Mr Government man  are you goinh to enforce the wearing of helmet rule?  From my personal obsevation,  not wearing a helmet in an accident will escalate greater damage than those who ride to live. Keep it big guys and gals

I don't understand the energy behind making other people wear helmets.  If the other guy's not wearing a helmet, he poses no additional risk to my safety.

If you want to wear one, great.  It'll reduce your odds of getting killed by 40%.  But you're still 20-40x as likely to get killed on a scooter (per km driven), even with a helmet.  There's a narrow window between an accident that you'll walk away from regardless, and an accident that will kill you even with a helmet on.  The ones where they find limbs 20 meters away.

Edited by impulse