webfact

7 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

What is considered a big bike?

I would consider graduating the CC of the bikes:

up-to 150cc normal

150cc to say 300cc

300cc to 600cc

600cc and above.

Each licence can only be approved with at least 2 years experience between each grade, and each issuance to a new level they have to go through special training & testing.

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Your question was exactly the same as mine as I can not find a google answer.  I have a new Yamaha XMax 300 and its considered a Maxi-Scooter, so not sure what classifies a big bike.  I had a Honda CBR 250 prior and thought that was considered a Big Bike as I called it a crotch rocket. Had a Harley in the US, but too expensive and to big to get around on one here in Bangkok.  The XMax is just perfect, but still big enough for long rides

I had a T-Max back home.  loved it.  The X-Max is good but I wish It had dual dicks on the front wheel. To me a big bike is  600CC or more.   So what is a Big Bike in Thailand?

2 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

An opportunity for Big Wing to introduce an inline four 399cc CBR400.

Marketing: "For those with no license"

Though it would probably be a sleeved down CBR650. ???? 

They did that 30 years ago. The cbr400 was an i4 version of the vfr400.

Don't see anybody saying it, but how about car drivers also being the ones to have different test . The while system is !@#$% not just the big bikes ,small bikes, bycicles every kind of license. They should change the whole system but i don't see that happening. They still going to have drunk drivers , incompotent drivers so by changing this license in my opinion will not change anything to the road deaths whatsoever . 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

I would consider graduating the CC of the bikes:

up-to 150cc normal

150cc to say 300cc

300cc to 600cc

600cc and above.

Each licence can only be approved with at least 2 years experience between each grade, and each issuance to a new level they have to go through special training & testing.

I had a Kawasaki Z250 at 16, Z750 at 17, GPZ 750 at 18 and Yamaha FJ1100 at 19. Years of experience have nothing to do with it, it's how skilled and defensive rider you are.

That's why I now have a Harley 1200 at 54 ????

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Same in the UK for decades, although I don't know what cc is classified as big bike. Nice to see Thailand catching up, although we all know the effectiveness of the Dept of Transport and their requirements and testing.

These are the current UK categories

Screenshot_20200819_112647.jpeg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I had a Kawasaki Z250 at 16, Z750 at 17, GPZ 750 at 18 and Yamaha FJ1100 at 19. Years of experience have nothing to do with it, it's how skilled and defensive rider you are.

Which can only come with experience which is gained over time?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

how does one prove has many years on big bike ????????????????????????????

Yes I was thinking this too.  How do you ever get experience to ride a big bike without getting a license for a big bike. 

It is a catch 22.

8 hours ago, Shuya said:

In 2018 they said 400cc and up is a big bike and needs a special licence. Last year is was higher than 500cc. So my guess would be 600cc now...

Well, 400 CC to get on the motorways, so I am guessing 400 upwards 

3 minutes ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

Yes I was thinking this too.  How do you ever get experience to ride a big bike without getting a license for a big bike. 

It is a catch 22.

Not really. You get the experience of riding from any bike and once you are considered to have had enough, you may apply for the next level.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HaoleBoy said:

If they want big bike riders to be safer then need to have new driving laws for big bikes enacted at the same time.

1)  Big bikes should not have to ride in the left most lane.  
   This is the most unsafe lane to drive in.   I've gotten several tickets driving in BKK for this.

2)  Allow big bikes to drive on the main hiways (not expressways, but that would be nice).
     Allow driving on Vipawhadee main road under the expressway and not on the frontage road. 

3)  Allow big bikes to go across the bridges over the Chao Praya river.

4)  Allow big bikes to use the fly-overs in and around BKK.

Why make allowances for those points just for big bikes? 

Why should the engine size determine which lane bikes can use or whether they can use highways.  What makes big bikes more adept than smaller-engined bikes regarding bridges and flyovers?  The perceived danger in those circumstances are all motorbikes, not the engine sizes!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

In Finland all over 125 cc is big pike. You can get 125cc motorpike licence 16 years old and it chance to normal licence when you are 18 years old. Tractor licence you can get 14 years old and moped 50cc 15 years old. All motor vehicle need licence like in many normal coundrys . 18 years old you can get car licence and truck license 21 years old.

How does that affect Thailand's laws?

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

According to this site: https://www.prachachat.net/breaking-news/news-507835

The changes will come into effect 120 days after they are published in the Royal Gazette (so not this year), and a big bike is classified as 400cc or more.

That means for a SR 400 with 21HP you will need a license and a Yamaha MT-03 with 42HP you do not need a license. Thai logic.

8 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

should really start at 250cc or more. But realistically should be a bike that you can't pick it up if you drop it, or it takes you more than 5 minutes to do so..

Lots of Youtube videos of ladies showing how to pick up a dropped Harley: it's technique not strength.

If they're going to include Big Bikes with some kind of full licence as being roadworthy and able to use the expressway, then this could be a good idea.

Otherwise they're subject to the same speed limits (and the same maximum speed) as scooters - so it's a ridiculous story.

Perhaps - like the recently introduced 'big bike parking' which means you're not allowed to park anything over 250cc for free in the bike parking areas - it's just another way to get money from people.

Given the way most people ride scooters around here, they should just have ONE licence that actually means something before draughting more stupid regulations with claimed intent to improve safety.

Edited by ben2talk
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

how does one prove has many years on big bike ????????????????????????????

One won't have to...

"One of the criteria for applying for a big-bike licence is that applicants must have a certain number of years of experience in riding a normal motorcycle".

34 minutes ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

How do you ever get experience to ride a big bike without getting a license for a big bike. 

It is a catch 22.

No, it's not a Catch 22 situation.  No one (apart from a couple of posters here) is suggesting that big bike experience will be a requirement for a big bike licence...

"One of the criteria for applying for a big-bike licence is that applicants must have a certain number of years of experience in riding a normal motorcycle".

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

I think they need "special training" for any bike rider in Thailand.

I think the 2 tiered licences are a step in the right direction. Most people wanting a big bike would probably agree that a few years experience on a smaller bike is a good idea before graduating to the bigger models. Also, strict enforcement of valid licences on rentals, with the onus being in the rental company. I think laws are in place for this, but probably needs stricter enforcement.

41 minutes ago, PoodThaiMaiDai said:

It is a catch 22.

You can get a marriage license without experience too, and those do a lot more damage!

Seriously?  Training, testing, and experience on smaller bikes.