Big bike riders will now need separate licence

webfact

9 minutes ago, HaoleBoy said:

Most big bike riders are taught when buying a new big bike how to pick it up if it goes down.  Even women can pick up a big Harley Cruiser if taught right ....

You just confirmed what I was relating to. Taught. Small bikes are no problem. So if they want to reclassify the distinction then perhaps it should be based on acceleration and speed. anyway, for me I don't care either way as there should be more bike riding education all around. I will get my bigger bike license as have no problem with it at all.

Edited by holy cow cm

In the UK, when New driving rules are introduced, 

People who already qualify from their old licence are still permitted, but any new applicants have to take a test to qualify. 

I wonder if anyone who holds a motorbike licence now will qualify? 

Saying that, there are one or two issues spring to mind. 

One is the people who like to "help" people get a licence will be very happy for the prospect of more tea money to share around the office. 

The mib won't be too disappointed eather. 

And two, 

Apart from checkpoints, how will anyone know weather the rider is qualified or not? 

Im sure big bikes are way down the list of causes of accidents on the highways and byways of this wonderful country. 

• Like 2

In Finland all over 125 cc is big pike. You can get 125cc motorpike licence 16 years old and it chance to normal licence when you are 18 years old. Tractor licence you can get 14 years old and moped 50cc 15 years old. All motor vehicle need licence like in many normal coundrys . 18 years old you can get car licence and truck license 21 years old.

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

France has (had?) the two licence system for decades now, with big bikes starting at 400 cc. 

There are pretty few of those in Thailand where the large majority rides scooters and bikes with less than 200 cc. 

Japan also has different licences though they effectively have 4.

with a car licence up to 49cc

small, up to 150cc (95% pass rate) 

medium, up to 400cc (50% pass rate)

unlimited (5% pass rate)

The test for the unlimited licence is tough and includes things I have never done in 50 years of riding most sizes of bikes and hundreds of thousands of miles.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

France has (had?) the two licence system for decades now, with big bikes starting at 400 cc. 

Most EU countries have. In NL you need another license for everything over 50 cc.

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

In theory this should only affect Thais, as most expats are presenting an unrestricted home license to get a Thai license.

Interested to know whether we will need to start again, showing home license etc.

Not for the French citizens who get a driving licence for their a motorcycle under 250 CC along with the car licence. 

I wonder what kind of tests....been riding a bike 20 years over here actually so, hopefully it will help.

A bit of a bother now as I am looking at buying a new "big" bike. On the other hand maybe some "new" second hand bikes will be on the market shortly at an interesting price

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

How are you going to do that - the police don't come out after dark!

a few years back, I was stopped by a police officer at a traffic box, and had to pay a fine of 200 baht because I had my headlights on during the dark and cloudy day while riding the motorbike.  He told me "No lights on during the day allowed", I told him I have my lights on because I want to be noticed by other vehicles because its pretty dark, my bike is gray and without the lights on I blend in with the surroundings.  He told me pay the fine, and no lights.......gotta figure safety was important, but not.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

a few years back, I was stopped by a police officer at a traffic box, and had to pay a fine of 200 baht because I had my headlights on during the dark and cloudy day while riding the motorbike.  He told me "No lights on during the day allowed", I told him I have my lights on because I want to be noticed by other vehicles because its pretty dark, my bike is gray and without the lights on I blend in with the surroundings.  He told me pay the fine, and no lights.......gotta figure safety was important, but not.

I've got a little Yamaha 110cc " step through" - about nine years old - and the lights on that are permanently on, turning the ignition key turns the light on. I thought that was the law here anyway?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

should really start at 250cc or more. But realistically should be a bike that you can't pick it up if you drop it, or it takes you more than 5 minutes to do so..

You mean ‘snatch and jerk’ above the head???

Pretty much any bike can be uprighted by a normally abled / sized person - its just technique. Perhaps you are unfamiliar with how to pick up a heavy bike. 

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

You just confirmed what I was relating to. Taught. Small bikes are no problem. So if they want to reclassify the distinction then perhaps it should be based on acceleration and speed. anyway, for me I don't care either way as there should be more bike riding education all around. I will get my bigger bike license as have no problem with it at all.

I agree that everyone riding a ‘bigger bike’ should have a licence for that classification of bike.

The classification obviously needs to be based on power / capacity.

400cc up would make sense.

All of that said: There seems to be a daft degree of sanctimony in this deal of ‘big bike rider needing a separate licence’ as this will do very little to limit the accidents for the following reasons.

- Most accidents / deaths involve smaller bikes

- Most deaths are are a result of no helmet

- Shops will still rent out big bikes to those with no licence

- Police will not police it - so its a moot point anyway, no one will get it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

It will be up to the cop that stops you, if they can find nothing else wrong to get money for.

In Bangkok I’ve been stopped 3 times on my motorcycle in the past 4 years. 

The first two times, as soon as I opened my helmet they saw I was a westerner and waved along without even asking for my license. 

The third time I was riding down the middle of Vihabvaidi road (cars only) - it was my first time riding a motorcycle in that area of Bangkok and I missed the no motorcycle signs. I was waved aside by the Police, it cost me 100B.

From my experience - the BiB targeting foreign drivers of cars or motorcycles is not a ‘thing’ in Bangkok. This seems prevalent in Pattaya and perhaps Hua Hin. 

Why don't they make ALL people who apply for a new licence be time limited to riding 250cc or smaller bikes. Then after say 2 years, them them move up to bigger bikes. This is what many countries with a functioning Ministry of Transport do.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to ensure X number of hours at a riding school, and more rigorous practical tests too.

Those who already have licenses, from either Thailand or abroad, would only need to do a stripped down version, which would still include a practical examination.

Enforce the 110 cc limitation on young riders, plus crash helmet, driving on the correct side of the road, observing traffic lights and quite a few more.   Of the "few more", even the most "experienced" car drivers appear to not be aware.   The 110 cc ruling is there for a reason though you wouldn't think so when looking at a school or college's bike park.   

If you are not aware of the 110 cc rule, look on the back of a bike license. 

• Like 1

Who is going to do this training - lol - not another 2 hour DVD in Thai? 
Judging by the regular test this shouldn’t be too difficult and might keep a few cocks off the road, but then they won’t take the test anyway - the police won’t enforce it .: so nothing to see. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

The summary of the Cabinet meeting https://www.thaigov.go.th/news/contents/details/34287

Google translate of this summary

As we can see, they don't tell us yet how they classify a big bike.

As usual, so much waffle but surely the 1st point they should be stating is - what do they define as a big bike??!!!!!

There is so much confusion in this country for these very reasons.     There's NO clarity from the top!!!!