Government to introduce new Bike Licence for riders of Big Bikes

soihok

Anyone know of any further details?

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393170

It was bound to happen at some point and not a bad thing, safety wise. No mention of when it will be introduced or the size limit of the bike (exactly what is classified as a big bike), or as the article mentions how many years experience of riding are required to qualify.

What the criteria of the additional test required?

Still, no change to the car license is mentioned. Nothing stopping a new driver getting behind the wheel of any cc size of car.

A CB400 was referred to as a big bike so I guess that will be the cut it off level. 

Why are you bothered you have had big bikes in Thailand for years. 

What I would like to know is how training is going to be introduced or are they just gonna leave it to years on a 300 or age. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

A CB400 was referred to as a big bike so I guess that will be the cut it off level. 

Why are you bothered you have had big bikes in Thailand for years. 

What I would like to know is how training is going to be introduced or are they just gonna leave it to years on a 300 or age. 

Yes mate.

Doesn't effect me.

Saying that, my licence expired about 10 years ago and as I haven't lived in Thailand full time since then (working in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur) I haven't been able / got around to, a renewal. 

Eventually when I give up the day job I'll apply again. Hopefully by the same conversion as before (conversion of my Singapore license to this new big bike licence).

The theory test all those years ago was highly entertaining.

As you mentioned, would it be automatically issued if the licence holder of the existing bike license had held it for years, and what training?

Cheers 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Another article says you will need experience riding a normal motorbike before getting a big bike license. Doesn't say how much experience.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/separate-licence-to-be-required-for-big-bikes

" ... applicants will need to pass special training and a test before being granted a licence ...".

50+ years riding bikes big and not-so-big, tests and special training superior to anything likely to be offered in Thailand - UK's standard riding test, Institute of Advanced Motorists motorcycle test pass and Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) motorcycle test Gold standard.

I wonder whether something like that from our various home countries will carry any weight here and allow the issue of a 'big bike licence' without need for further testing. 

I read they are currently 216,547 motorcycles 400cc or larger registered in Thailand. And total registered motorcycles are 21,284,775..., and by introducing this advanced riding license requirement they hope to significantly reduce bike accidents...!!!

I don't know what percentage of bike accidents involve 400cc or higher, but at less than 1% of all bikes I don't think they get the result they are after...????

18 hours ago, MartinL said:

" ... applicants will need to pass special training and a test before being granted a licence ...".

50+ years riding bikes big and not-so-big, tests and special training superior to anything likely to be offered in Thailand - UK's standard riding test, Institute of Advanced Motorists motorcycle test pass and Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) motorcycle test Gold standard.

I wonder whether something like that from our various home countries will carry any weight here and allow the issue of a 'big bike licence' without need for further testing. 

Nope. And likely need to redo every 5 years. Just a money-spinner.

Why the butthurt from self proclaimed "big bike" riders ?

If you have the experience claimed you will have no problem passing the test !!

I had planned on getting my "bike" licence but covid kicked in and put that on the backburner, I will now wait until this new licence is introduced and get this one instead (I dont ride a scooter anyways).

Edited by Don Mega

10 hours ago, Agusts said:

I read they are currently 216,547 motorcycles 400cc or larger registered in Thailand. And total registered motorcycles are 21,284,775..., and by introducing this advanced riding license requirement they hope to significantly reduce bike accidents...!!!

I don't know what percentage of bike accidents involve 400cc or higher, but at less than 1% of all bikes I don't think they get the result they are after...????

They have do something to answer all the Thailand detractors, but have in fact done nothing much at all. The other 99.999% of motorcycle rides will continue as usual but whomever was asked to do something may now say he has. 

All big bikes will now definitely be stopped at road blocks to discover if rider has appropriate licence.

When dealing with governments just be careful what you ask for.

This of course maybe because some Thai big wig went for a foreign motorbike touring holiday but was not allowed to because he only had a Thailand moped license.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

I wonder if this will have a knock on effect on big bike sale and less people riding them..., God forbid cheaper prices.... ! ? ????????

Senate has approved it and will become law after 120 days when it's published in royal gazette..., whenever that is. Big bike rides have your tea money handy...????

34 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I wonder if this will have a knock on effect on big bike sale and less people riding them..., God forbid cheaper prices.... ! ? ????????

In Thailand if sales volume goes down, prices rise do the net income is the same.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Did they follow through with the 100k tax on bikes over 1000cc ?

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Did they follow through with the 100k tax on bikes over 1000cc ?

There was and isn't such a thing. All those reports were misunderstandings and confusions.

There used to be a tax based on cc and for >1000 it was 17%. Now tax is based on emissions.

10 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Why the butthurt from self proclaimed "big bike" riders ?

If you have the experience claimed you will have no problem passing the test !!

I had planned on getting my "bike" licence but covid kicked in and put that on the backburner, I will now wait until this new licence is introduced and get this one instead (I dont ride a scooter anyways).

3 month waiting list for foreigner D/L appointments.

Good luck getting your bike licence.

Glad the bike I bought earlier this month is only 300cc.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Good luck getting your bike licence.

Glad the bike I bought earlier this month is only 300cc.

Most DLTs have no such waiting times (apart from complete shutdowns because of Covid). And the ones that are overloaded have driving schools not too far away that can be used to get a license pretty quickly.

Getting a driver license in Thailand was and still is very easy and quick compared to many other countries. And very cheap too.

I also have no problem with a license requirement for higher powered bikes and will get the license as soon as available. But I think it would be much more important to first enforce existing laws so that young kids don't ride bikes without license, helmet etc.

• Like 2

Does any one know or have a photo of a Thai License that shows you can ride a big bike? As I have Thai car and bike license and there don’t seem to be any recognition to say I can ride a big bike > but the license was done via my international license and English one .and they state I have a full license and can ride a big bike.

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2020 at 8:37 AM, Rdrokit said:

I bet they will still rent big bikes to tourists in Pattaya who have no bike license.

They stopped that in Phuket a long time ago No license No Bike the bike rental companies were getting fined 2000 Baht

22 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

Does any one know or have a photo of a Thai License that shows you can ride a big bike? As I have Thai car and bike license and there don’t seem to be any recognition to say I can ride a big bike > but the license was done via my international license and English one .and they state I have a full license and can ride a big bike.

Don't think the new licenses are out yet. As it is not law until it is published in the Royal Gazette.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, yeahbutif said:

If it is new, how can anyone have one? 

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2020 at 4:10 PM, BritManToo said:

On 8/21/2020 at 4:32 PM, eisfeld said:

Most DLTs have no such waiting times (apart from complete shutdowns because of Covid).

Yeah, my first license and my renewal were done in a single day, both within a couple hours. I went to a DLT in Chachoengsao (a friend of a friend took me there the first time and I went back on my own to do the renewal).
It is a little out of the way but makes for a nice morning's outing (once in a few years).

Pattaya needs a second DLT office like they need a second Immigration office. One in the north end of the city and one in the south end. They seems to get enough traffic to justify it already.

For the new licenses, they will probably do something like "get a certificate from a registered driving school" and present that along with your current motorcycle license to get the new one. 
What actually happens at the "registered driving school" is a separate matter. (Yeah yeah, we know. Except it won't be brown envelopes, just straight out cash payments. No envelopes required.)

I can't see them adding any additional tests at the DLT though. If you do the colour vision, reaction and depth perception tests to drive a car (or scooter) what else would you do for a big bike ? 
It'd be nice if they did mention something about allowing 400+cc (i.e. "big bikes") on the toll highways, though you can be the accident rate will go up, regardless of licensing.

Would make my life a lot easier to get around for sure, instead of always having to plan which way to drive around Bangkok all the time. (Well, some of the time. Would be more of the time if it wasn't so annoying.)

• Like 1