Thai returnee tests positive after 14-day state quarantine

snoop1130

7 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Why are you reffering to the infected person as a female when the OP is talking about a male?

4 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

You talk about a she while in the story above they talk about a he so ??? 

34 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Er, this thread is about a man not a woman......

Both suspects are female. It was incorrect reporting by the Nation. The details of the second suspect weren't released at the time I posted.

Edited by macleans

Some tests are showing negative and then positive, and people thinks it's strange. The incubation period is not always 14 days, it's for some individuals up to 30 days for some strange reason. If this person went home after 14 days, and there's been no local cases for ~80 days, who did he get the virus from? 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

There were 2 cases, not one. Both returned from UAE on 24 June and completed 14 days quarantine with 2 negative tests.

One then tested positive on   10 August and the other on 18 August. However the article is confusing as to whether these positive tests were antigen or antibody tests. Makes a world of difference....

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30393246

Sheryl, your unfortunately mixing up the cases.  Two were women, and the one who returned to the hospital feeling ill after being out of quarantine for a while is a Male.

42 minutes ago, macleans said:

Both suspects are female. It was incorrect reporting by the Nation. The details of the second suspect weren't released at the time I posted.

You need to read more.  There are 3 people, 2 women in one report and this one a Male.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/08/19/hospital-finds-virus-case-outside-quarantine-officials/

Edited by ThailandRyan

14 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Some tests are showing negative and then positive, and people thinks it's strange. The incubation period is not always 14 days, it's for some individuals up to 30 days for some strange reason. If this person went home after 14 days, and there's been no local cases for ~80 days, who did he get the virus from? 

I never read this. Where did you read incubation time can be up to 30 days ? you have the source of this allegation ?

Leaks to the press are quite interesting these days.

But, the barons in the balcony are laughing

And pointing to the pit

They say, ‘Aw look, they've grown accustomed to the smell

Now, people love that <deleted>

And we're workin' it.” (Henley, 2000).

Edited by Rockbottom

Bits of virus DNA can be found in people's body after they have recovered and they are no longer infected or infectious. The virus is dead. But its DNA hasn't been totally expelled by the body. So there can be a positive DNA test for the virus quite some time after recovery.

By now this is common knowledge.

Positive antibody tests however indicate she was infected a while ago because it takes the body quite some time after they get infected to produce detectable antibodies.

The story is fake news. No better than what any Internet troll puts out.

Is the author a cretin? Or is the Nation happy to be a gutter press fake news shock jock outfit?

Edited by Ketyo
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

Interesting, he returned to hospital today (Wednesday 19th August, 2020), but no mention of the date he was 'released' from quarantine into the general population.

I wonder why that is?

Just maybe ... they could be concerned with their testing capabilities or lack there of, and the responsibilities associated. Also, something else that needs to be considered as new revelations concerning the virus are occurring almost daily, is that those fourteen days may need to be reconsidered.

Edited by Dap

12 minutes ago, Dap said:

Just maybe ... they could be concerned with their testing capabilities or lack there of, and the responsibilities associated.

Story on the man testing positive has been scrubbed as I can no longer locate it and the ones I linked have been changed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You need to read more.  There are 3 people, 2 women in one report and this one a Male.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/08/19/hospital-finds-virus-case-outside-quarantine-officials/

You need to read it more carefully. Khaosod said there was a misidentification and that the suspect was actually a woman. That update is located right before the first paragraph, but there's an ad link hanging over the first half of it.

5 hours ago, kensawadee said:

Could he have gotten it mid-way thru his quarntine right inside the Quarntine Hotel?????

Quite possible as I have read a thread on here by someone completing quarantine reporting how many others quarantined with him were openly ignoring safety and social distancing rules during permitted  times for exercise. This begs the question as to whether other surreptitious mixing was also going on.

Edited by SunsetT

14 minutes ago, macleans said:

You need to read it more carefully. Khaosod said there was a misidentification and that the suspect was actually a woman. That update is located right before the first paragraph, but there's an ad link hanging over the first half of it.

All of the papers I had listed with different articles have been scrubbed and the information changed or deleted.  I find it kind of strange as I located the reports all over the internet and at first it was a leaked test and leaked article from someone at the hospital.  The original story was that he had returned in June, passed through quarantine and in July was released out to society.  After feeling ill recently he went to the hospital where he was tested and found to have covid.  a short while later the report stated they were unsure of the test, and now its gone and scrubbed.  However the article did not change the facts completely and still list him as a man even with the preface you stated and what they now list.

Walairat Chaiyafu, director of the bureau of epidemiology at the Department of Disease Control, said the woman had completed his 14 day quarantine upon returning to Thailand. He was said to be healthy at the time he was freed from his mandatory quarantine.

https://thesmartlocal.com/thailand/covid19-after-quarantine/Not all articles have been scrubbed, looking through the metacrawler site.

Director of the Bureau of Epidemiology at the Department of Disease Control, Walairat Chaiyafu, shared that the man was in good health at the point of being released from quarantine.

Currently being treated

Thailand has reported 0 local transmissions in the last 80 days, and if confirmed, this will be the first case of COVID-19 outside quarantine in many weeks, Khaosod English reports.

The patient is currently being treated at Ramathibodi Hospital, where he was also tested positive. It was not mentioned where the man had returned from.

It is yet to be confirmed how many people have been in contact with the man.

Thailand currently has a total of 3,382 COVID-19 cases, with 3,199 recovered patients and 58 deaths as of 19th August 2020.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1

I think that Walairat Chaiyafu, director of the bureau of epidemiology at the Department of Disease Control, might have been taking some heat on the release of information and they are working overtime to try and expunge it.  A search on the dark web also indicates many other reports as well.

But then there is this other OP thats running indicating it was also a man and the good general spoke of it as well.

This has now been added to another story I have found:

Health officials have been trying to ascertain whether he is actually infected.

It’s so funny how everyone believe Thailand has no cases. Since when have they told the truth. Please don’t blame it on their English writing skills. 

Think about this, Thai’s are returning from all these other countries positive! So how were they cleared on the other end to get on the plane to return? 

So they are exempt from all the requirements to board the flight with others, but when they arrive they test positive.  It don’t add up.......????????????????

Now here another one that was released and return on their own consent, and no information of where he was, people he might have contacted. 

Who at Thaivisa is putting out this <deleted>? Should you not be asking these same questions before publishing it? This <deleted> mess with people emotions. Tell the truth or don’t publish it.  ????????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sheryl, your unfortunately mixing up the cases.  Two were women, and the one who returned to the hospital feeling ill after being out of quarantine for a while is a Male.

The article I link to mentions only 2 women, neither of whom  felt ill.

"One case is a 34-year-old woman who returned from the United Arab Emirates on June 24 without any symptoms and completed her quarantine period. A first test on June 5 found a small quantity of genetic material, but she was hardly considered as infected. A second test, conducted on July 13, again came back with a negative result. After the 14-day state quarantine, she returned to her hometown in Chaiyaphum province and continued her quarantine at home for another 10 days. Later, on August 10, she decided to go abroad and went to Ramathibodi Chakri Naruebodindra Hospital for a medical certificate. However, her virus result was suddenly positive, though it showed she had a small amount of genetic virus material in her body. She is being treated at the hospital, but doctors say she didn’t contract the virus from another person, which meant there was no risk of the virus spreading.

The other case is a 35-year-old woman, who also returned from the United Arab Emirates on June 24 without any symptoms and passed the quarantine period after two tests showed negative results. She then returned to her hometown in Loei province. But on August 16, she came to Bangkok for a medical certificate as she planned to work abroad. A test result on August 18 was positive, due to the presence of virus antibodies, and the hospital immediately admitted her for treatment."

• Like 1

The mess Victoria AU is in has been traced back to a family of 4 who escaped quarantine, went to the pub and a super mart , now the second wave has killed well over 300 elderly, cause another complete shut down and the virus has migrated into NSW . That's all it takes. 

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Story on the man testing positive has been scrubbed as I can no longer locate it and the ones I linked have been changed.

Does sound like a matter of "never happened", thus a "non issue". What? Where? WHo ... "we'll certainly create an agency to delve into the matter." :whistling:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, hobobo said:

............Viruses change all the time, especially anything "time-wise". What is considered the "norm" one day, can double within a very short period of time 

And that is why there will never be a successful vaccine....

18 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Either quarantine is contaminated or its all been an expensive waste of time ????

The whole process is filled with holes that need answers and actions based in reality in the thinking for preventing or controlling the virus.    

First off it makes no sense to require foreigners that are allowed to enter to be tested for the virus before boarding a flight along with nationals that are not required to be tested prior to boarding. That is just a recipe for spreading the virus especially in a delayed fashion given the incubation period of the virus. 

Secondly it's highly questionable that the numbers of virus cases is accurate. Given the fact the 380,000+ are quietly listed in the People Under Investigation category and never resolved positively or negatively for the virus calls into question the accuracy of the numbers. Testing for virus in the general population is lacking and suspect when handled like this. The only benefit in listing the PUI like this and not addressing it is that the numbers can be reported in a favorable manner to support an image of safety.   

A number of people claim the reported numbers are accurate because you would see all the deaths and it could not be hidden, as people would talk.   Do the math, if 1% of infected people die from the virus then that would be 3,800 people of the 380,000 PUI. Over the course of 7 months that's only 542 people throughout the country each month. Given the nature of people not going to the hospital for treatment like in most developed countries that is a number that is easily absorbed without much notice.  

I agree with the heavily controlled entry to avoid the virus, But it's very scary to treat this situation effectively when this is the manner this situation is being controlled

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The article I link to mentions only 2 women, neither of whom  felt ill.

"One case is a 34-year-old woman who returned from the United Arab Emirates on June 24 without any symptoms and completed her quarantine period. A first test on June 5 found a small quantity of genetic material, but she was hardly considered as infected. A second test, conducted on July 13, again came back with a negative result. After the 14-day state quarantine, she returned to her hometown in Chaiyaphum province and continued her quarantine at home for another 10 days. Later, on August 10, she decided to go abroad and went to Ramathibodi Chakri Naruebodindra Hospital for a medical certificate. However, her virus result was suddenly positive, though it showed she had a small amount of genetic virus material in her body. She is being treated at the hospital, but doctors say she didn’t contract the virus from another person, which meant there was no risk of the virus spreading.

The other case is a 35-year-old woman, who also returned from the United Arab Emirates on June 24 without any symptoms and passed the quarantine period after two tests showed negative results. She then returned to her hometown in Loei province. But on August 16, she came to Bangkok for a medical certificate as she planned to work abroad. A test result on August 18 was positive, due to the presence of virus antibodies, and the hospital immediately admitted her for treatment."

Given the time for incubation from exposure it is more than likely that the virus exposure was after quarantine on arrival and from exposure after going to their home areas. But given the manner of recording and reporting the virus numbers who knows. I particularly like the statement that " given the low level of virus detected it is likely the virus did not come come exposure to another person and no chance to spread it to others" ??????? If this situation was so serious I would laugh at this point

31 minutes ago, Acrylic said:

It's better if there is no coronavirus and life becoming easier for expat. But since that's not what happening, I can only hope my company will extend WFH policy. 

What The Heck is a WFH policy?  I worked for a company that had a WTH policy - Huh?  Us?  But they were like WDFC.  And they didn't.

Acronyms don't facilitate communications.  Please be explicit.  Or whatever. 

Edited by Damrongsak

On 8/20/2020 at 1:32 AM, ukrules said:

Interesting, he returned to hospital today (Wednesday 19th August, 2020), but no mention of the date he was 'released' from quarantine into the general population.

I wonder why that is?

From reading the full story links it appears that there were 2 cases both girls.

They had returned for a medical certificate as they wanted to return abroad to work.

They both would have c19 antibodies if that is the case and probably show a positive test.

In a hurry to go back to where they got the virus and return to work-- money run out fast in esan.