Open letter to the tourism authority and the Thai government

rooster59

6 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I was under the impression that medical experts say that herd immunity is always attained eventually, sometimes aided by vaccines sometimes naturally and they also seem to suggest that lockdowns and any other measures people take merely slow the time it takes to reach herd immunity but they all seem to agree that it's next to impossible to stop herd immunity from being reached.Have the studies you mentioned been peer reviewed and do have any links to them? 

In principle I did and still do agree with the "Herd immunity" approach and agree that lockdowns merely delay the inevitable.....but there's one big problem.

Corona viruses are known to mutate, so the "herd" might become immune to the original virus, but would that immunity persist if / when it mutates?

Not being a doctor / scientist, I don't know. 

Edited by VBF

4 hours ago, Kelsall said:

TL;DR.  Is Mr Stoever not aware of the Elite Visa or "agents" who can get him a dodgy visa for 20k?  Is he that cheap?

"I am a writer, 68 years old, live in Hamburg and am currently in Phuket.

Sounds like he may be working in Thailand illegally.  If so boot him back to Deutschland pronto.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

"I am a writer, 68 years old, live in Hamburg and am currently in Phuket.

Sounds like he may be working in Thailand illegally.  If so boot him back to Deutschland pronto.

But, but,... sending him back to Germany equals a death penalty to him, according to his so honest letter. And Germany does not allow deportations to destinations where the death penalty might exists. :welcomeani:

I live in the US. Three weeks ago I was tested for COVID-19, and the results were negative. Since then, I had a medical procedure done (colonoscopy... again, all well), and I have hung out with friends at my local watering hole, and even visited the beach for a couple of days with the family. We are still fine.

The virus seems to be very particular as to whom it affects.

Well the very premise in his letter is wrong about escaping the flu in Thailand. There is flu here also.  I know lots of people that have had it here over the years. Get a flu shot. I do every year. Immigration gave plenty of notice as to when people had to either change their visa status or prepare to ship out. Ignoring their request to change visa status until the last minute and then pleading that Germany is not safe is rubbish. I've gotten messages from people vacationing safely in Germany.     

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rumak said:

i better start spending more money .   just 2.4 more years to go .......gonna die with a

fistfull of dollars .       ring the bell !

i'm 43. any dosh you can't spend send my way big guy. 

dad is that you ? 

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

This is it in a nutshell. A sensible country with a sensible policy.

Why is it that the Thai immigration is such a humongous pain in the ass?

1.  I am not bothered enough to go searching but I very much doubt Cambodia has such an "enlightened" policy as to allow anyone to just pay $300 to stay for a year.  In fact I dare say it is rubbish.  Tourists get a single entry 30 day visa which can be renewed once for another 30 days.  So can you give me more detail of this "sensible policy" that you like so much?

2. Do you really think Thailand should just allow anyone to pay $300 to stay long term no questions asked?  Do you think that would be a sensible policy?  Imagine the dregs, the chavs, the human scum that would very quickly fill up the country.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I guess you've not spent much time in Thailand.  

25 years.  And look at the dregs of human society that set up here as it is - boiler rooms, scammers, property fraudsters.  If anyone could just pay $300 and stay as easily and as long as they want it would not be good.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, CLW said:

Perhaps the Phuket News should have done more in depth research for the subtitle of the picture. Germany is offering FREE Covid 19 tests for everyone returning from abroad and compulsory for high risk countries. You get the result within three days and until this time you have to quarantine yourself at your OWN home not some ASQ rip-off. Get that Thai government ????????

You expect the Thai govt to trust foreigners to stay home for 14 days if not locked in a hotel?

They way most tourists act in Thailand that they can do whatever they want (thai's too) that would never work.

Thailand did it right.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ericthai said:

You expect the Thai govt to trust foreigners to stay home for 14 days if not locked in a hotel?

They way most tourists act in Thailand that they can do whatever they want (thai's too) that would never work.

Thailand did it right.  

Firstly he talked about 3 days till the test result is there, secondly about coming to Germany from high risk countries. Thirdly neither Germany nor many other countries in Europe are high risk countries. Forthly, differently to Thailand the numbers in Europe only seem to be higher, and this is because the European governments have no reason to lie and to hide anything, and hence act transparently.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Firstly he talked about 3 days till the test result is there, secondly about coming to Germany from high risk countries. Thirdly neither Germany nor many other countries in Europe are high risk countries. Forthly, differently to Thailand the numbers in Europe only seem to be higher, and this is because the European governments have no reason to lie and to hide anything, and hence act transparently.

What are you going on about??? 

I was responding about Thailand and their mandatory 14 days and that this is the correct move to require you to stay in hotel and not allow you to go home and self quarantine.  Thailand you get results in 3 days too, but if negative you still have to stay at the hotel for 14 days. 

4 hours ago, mr mr said:

i'm 43. any dosh you can't spend send my way big guy. 

dad is that you ? 

43 and you spend time on this forum ?    what's the matter with you ?  555

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, WhateverDude said:

Why would anyone in their right mind fly back to their native country where the majority of states are hot zones with over 1000 deaths per day, if they don't have to go back? Exposing people to unnecessary risk during a pandemic crisis is really not the way to go.

Some of us are here because there is simply nowhere else safe to go from here. We have been here since March. Not by choice, but by necessity.

I'll tell you why, at least for me.  I have been an expat in Thailand for a total of 10 years.  Because of COVID, the company I work for in Thailand essentially shut down (it relies on foreigners coming into Thailand for its business).  I was furloughed by the company, thus I am not receiving paycheck. Sure, I have savings, but it's not prudent for me to be chewing that up day-by-day waiting and wondering when the borders will re-open, and when they do, if the company I work for will have survived to re-open.  Also wondering if I'll get a call one day from my employer saying they need to terminate me, thus ending my non-O visa (and then being in Thailand without a visa and the mayhem that causes).  I have a good job waiting for me back in the U.S., so I have a flight booked for next Friday to leave Thailand and go back to the U.S.  So, to put it simply: It's a matter of a) having a job, b) $$$, and c) potentially ending up in a bad visa situation here in Thailand.

22 hours ago, steve187 said:

please explain how north Americans, Australians as well as some other countries would go about returning 

I am in an Aussie here in Australia and In do not see how you can compare us to the USA,We have 3 states here on a very mild 2nd wave and as he boarders will  open up much as I am not into any government it is keeping our numbers down. I can rebook my flights, if Thailand wants to keep anyone out it should be the high infect ant countries like the USA. We are looking at a vaccine here buy early next year, I am all for any health rules Thailand want to put into place to let tourist back in I would much spend there than here.  

17 hours ago, WhateverDude said:

Why would anyone in their right mind fly back to their native country where the majority of states are hot zones with over 1000 deaths per day, if they don't have to go back? Exposing people to unnecessary risk during a pandemic crisis is really not the way to go.

Some of us are here because there is simply nowhere else safe to go from here. We have been here since March. Not by choice, but by necessity.

I can give you an answer, we for example are a family of 4 and we stayed in LOS as long our children went to primary school.

We want to leave LOS ASAP, means as soon we get regular flights to our home country which has more than 100K covid 19 cases. Because

1. Schooling in LOS is expensive and quality of teaching low

2. Heath care is a rip off and quality substandard

3. Same applies to food, housing etc., we are used to western standard

4. We appreciate western culture, the possibility to visit a theater, go to the opera etc.

5. LOS is dirty and full of garbage 

6. Road safety is simply not existing

etc. etc.

overall we get much better value in our home country and we can live there for the half of the money we spend in LOS having a better life style. And we are - if you believe it or not - not afraid of COVID 19 which is in my opinion nothing else than a big hoax used by governments to implement additional control measures worldwide.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rama said:

Well the very premise in his letter is wrong about escaping the flu in Thailand. There is flu here also. 

Excellent point.

Annual average death toll here is 45,000 (influenza and pneumonia).

Throw in Dengue, Yellow Fever, Malaria, Japanese Encephalitis, Leptospirosis, Hep A, Hep B, STDs.

Still say he'd be better off in Germany?

Next we'll be hearing about the amnesty folks running up huge hospital bills, which go unpaid.

• Thanks 1

On 8/23/2020 at 10:02 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Ouch, you went there and on a Sunday morning too.....well well well.  The sting of that comment will truly get a quick response for ......bye bye

I tend to support my fellow Farangs but there is nothing more disgusting than those self-hating Westerners are fooled by smiling Asians that mostly are at best indifferent yo them and at worst (and often) despise them/us. 

No doubt he's with a bar girl up in Nakhon Noplace. She's convinced him in her pidgin English that everything in Thailand is wonderful and his country no so good. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, ericthai said:

Thailand did it right.  

If you are responsible and adult person, you can do as I suggested...

• Like 1