Poll shows 98 per cent believe Thailand better than other countries

rooster59

On 8/23/2020 at 6:54 AM, rooster59 said:

A recent poll shows that 98 per cent of Thai people believe Thailand has more good things than other countries.

The poll also showed that 98 per cent of Thai people had never been abroad. 96 per cent of respondents named Vietnam, 'Pama', and China as countries bordering Thailand. Asked to name three European countries, 91 per cent of respondents named Canada, New Zealand, and 'United State'.

• Confused 1

On 8/23/2020 at 12:41 PM, dbrenn said:

Another Thailand is going to hell in a handcart post. I've lived in Thailand on and off for over 30 years and watched it develop into a successful newly industrialised country with strong exports and a diverse economy. The western world, conversely, is in a downward spiral of its own making - it's falling apart socially and economically. 

That ringing sound you hear, is your alarm- clock!

Time to wake up!

• Like 1

This is not surprising. America is not the only country to have exceptionalists. The Thais have done a remarkable job of propaganda for many years. They truly believe they are the undefeated master race of Asia. Mongkut and Chulalongkorn did a masterful job of protecting Thailand against colonization by simply ceding certain land holdings to European powers. This is the kind of brilliance that would have saved Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar if they had leaders with this kind of diplomatic savvy.

• Like 1

Foreigners get ready to leave Thailand.  

Slowly but surely more and more Thais are being turned against everything non Thai. 

Soon all Foreigners will be made to wear GPS Trackers....

Why not just pin a Yellow Star on each Foreigner?

Oh, yes, that has already been done somewhere else....and Thais do not look outside their Country.

May I suggest a different colour then....still same Concept...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KhunFred said:

This is not surprising. America is not the only country to have exceptionalists. The Thais have done a remarkable job of propaganda for many years. They truly believe they are the undefeated master race of Asia. Mongkut and Chulalongkorn did a masterful job of protecting Thailand against colonization by simply ceding certain land holdings to European powers. This is the kind of brilliance that would have saved Cambodia, Laos and Myanmar if they had leaders with this kind of diplomatic savvy.

I'm not sure if it's that simple.  Thailand is a hierarchical society so you have to look at it through that lens.  A lot of Chinese Thais think they are better than Farangs but Issan Thais don't.  It also may have something to do with their education system.  I don't think they are taught much about the outside world and they don't seem to have that much interest in it either.  I was watching a WWII movie with a girl once and she asked me with a straight face whether the Nazi's were the good guys or the bad guys.  True story.

Edited by shdmn

Thailand have forget there more thing to do in wales england Ireland Scotland and I say the uk is 100% more beautiful  and also thailand are forgetting german France Switzerland all of Europe so thailand should learn about other countrys in the world what are 100% better then thailand 

• Like 1

It's funny reading some of the comments regarding how little Thai's know about other countries.

In a weird twist of fate, it's the poor uneducated ones that are traveling overseas and having their eyes opened to life outside Thailand, rather than the moribund Bangkok middle class, tunnel visioned in Thailand at the center of the universe.

The poor are the ones that go picking strawberries in Sweden, fish factories in Canada, vegetable pickers in Korea, even working at my local Safeway supermarket in the US!

I'm often reminded of one of the anecdotes from the Napoleonic Wars, that returning Russian soldiers exposed to liberal Western ideals in Paris fueled the eventual Russian revolution.  

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 5:48 PM, Flying Saucage said:

Seems that you don't have a girlfriend, a family or other obligations in Thailand. For that I envy you. If I could, I also would cancel Thailand from my list of countries to even think about. There are so many other good places in the world indeed.

Whatever excuses is.

You lose. You are a failure who can not be successful and happy in Thailand but can not escape.  That is complete definition of failure and loser. 

98% of Thai people don't know where other Countries are in the world,  not too long ago I was talking to a girl in a bar In Pattaya, same old chat line, where do you come from, I told her England, she replied my falang boyfriend comes from England, when I asked what part of the UK, she replied frankfurt, when I stopped laughing I told her that frankfurt was in Germany not England, her reply was same, same ????????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

98% of Thai people don't know where other Countries are in the world,  not too long ago I was talking to a girl in a bar In Pattaya, same old chat line, where do you come from, I told her England, she replied my falang boyfriend comes from England, when I asked what part of the UK, she replied frankfurt, when I stopped laughing I told her that frankfurt was in Germany not England, her reply was same, same ????????

Amazing Thailand.  Ask a Thai about there own country, or where a place is in Thailand and most times they have no idea as they really never travel to anyplace inside there own borders except for the tourist areas where work can be found.  

18 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Because of the cost of living mostly. For single men there is another obvious reason.

Cost of living...are you joking ?

We - a family of 4 - spending around 8K US every month in LOS, which includes Insurances, schooling, nursery etc. etc.

Saying that - and that's the reason why we will leave LOS after 6 years after this covid-hoax is finished for good- we can live a better life style in many other countries for half the money.

This includes ALL countries in Europe, particularly Spain and Portugal where you have better climate than in LOS by the way. I can even live on the same budget in Dubai and Singapore than in LOS.

I get better education for the kids - why paying 1k or more per month for an international school in LOS when I can get my kids in a governmental school in EUROPE which is still better quality.

I get better healthcare and cheaper, why paying a expensive insurance which entitles me to visit private hospitals in LOS when I can visit a better governmental hospital in Europe for free...

ETC. ETC. The list is basically endless....,

sure this not applies if you are on instant noodle soup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Fierce pride in abject poverty is practically a Thai trademark. The Thai penchant for celebrating want and ignorance is something of a cliche.

The over complicated lifestyle, and subsequent dependence on salaried employment to maintain such. rampant consumerism, along with financial pressures and associated uncertainty, is perhaps not the lifestyle success story we are conditioned to invest in ????

3 hours ago, 321 BOOM said:

Cost of living...are you joking ?

We - a family of 4 - spending around 8K US every month in LOS, which includes Insurances, schooling, nursery etc. etc.

Saying that - and that's the reason why we will leave LOS after 6 years after this covid-hoax is finished for good- we can live a better life style in many other countries for half the money.

This includes ALL countries in Europe, particularly Spain and Portugal where you have better climate than in LOS by the way. I can even live on the same budget in Dubai and Singapore than in LOS.

I get better education for the kids - why paying 1k or more per month for an international school in LOS when I can get my kids in a governmental school in EUROPE which is still better quality.

I get better healthcare and cheaper, why paying a expensive insurance which entitles me to visit private hospitals in LOS when I can visit a better governmental hospital in Europe for free...

ETC. ETC. The list is basically endless....,

sure this not applies if you are on instant noodle soup.

Why would I be joking?

I thought about moving to Melbourne, where my sister has a house which is very similar to mine. Mine cost 3 million baht 7 years ago. Hers is valued at 67 million baht. I stayed in an Air bnb which was a 2 bedroomed apartment and was selling at 18 million baht. Yes, it is a nicer area for sure but I couldn't even buy a similar house 3 hours away for the same price as Thailand.

I thought of moving back to Aberdeen but a similar house would cost 16 million baht. I can rent  nice house here for 20,000 baht a month but 4x that in Aberdeen.

Even if I already owned a house there, the living costs are much more than here.

Saying that all countries in Europe are cheaper is insane. Ever tried to live in central London? It a LOT more than central Bangkok. 

In Bangkok, I could take my family of 4 out for dinner every night in good restaurants for say 2,000 baht a pop. In Europe or Australia, it's more like 4,000 baht. I worked in Helsinki and couldn't believe the prices there. By the way, Mama noodles were 8 times the price of here. 

We went to a Thai restaurant in Aberdeen 4 years ago and it cost us 4,000 baht.

I went for a Thai massage and it cost me 5x what it does here.

Petrol is MUCH cheaper.

Actually, everything is MUCH cheaper. 

My mother told me the other day that she paid 8,000 baht for a couple of gardeners to mow the lawn and clean up the hedge etc. I got the same last week for 1,000 baht!

My friend in Clatt pays 700,000 per year for his sons's private school fees. I pay 80,000 a year.

Tell me one thing that is cheaper in Europe, US, etc

This doesn't apply if you are on cherries.

42 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Fierce pride in abject poverty is practically a Thai trademark. The Thai penchant for celebrating want and ignorance is something of a cliche.

Thai people never refer to themselves as Khun. This is a term of respect given by others. 

46 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Why would I be joking?

I thought about moving to Melbourne, where my sister has a house which is very similar to mine. Mine cost 3 million baht 7 years ago. Hers is valued at 67 million baht. I stayed in an Air bnb which was a 2 bedroomed apartment and was selling at 18 million baht. Yes, it is a nicer area for sure but I couldn't even buy a similar house 3 hours away for the same price as Thailand.

I thought of moving back to Aberdeen but a similar house would cost 16 million baht. I can rent  nice house here for 20,000 baht a month but 4x that in Aberdeen.

Even if I already owned a house there, the living costs are much more than here.

Saying that all countries in Europe are cheaper is insane. Ever tried to live in central London? It a LOT more than central Bangkok. 

In Bangkok, I could take my family of 4 out for dinner every night in good restaurants for say 2,000 baht a pop. In Europe or Australia, it's more like 4,000 baht. I worked in Helsinki and couldn't believe the prices there. By the way, Mama noodles were 8 times the price of here. 

We went to a Thai restaurant in Aberdeen 4 years ago and it cost us 4,000 baht.

I went for a Thai massage and it cost me 5x what it does here.

Petrol is MUCH cheaper.

Actually, everything is MUCH cheaper. 

My mother told me the other day that she paid 8,000 baht for a couple of gardeners to mow the lawn and clean up the hedge etc. I got the same last week for 1,000 baht!

My friend in Clatt pays 700,000 per year for his sons's private school fees. I pay 80,000 a year.

Tell me one thing that is cheaper in Europe, US, etc

This doesn't apply if you are on cherries.

A big difference is the 'eating out' habit here compared to 'eating out' in UK.

I wouldn't even guess what % of households in UK eat out a few days a week in UK, and I obviously don't mean fast food outlets with unhealthy fat and sugar laden products.

Even on a one month holiday in UK ( pre Wuflu of course ) we go self catering, I admit we are not lumbered with kids, and we enjoy buying good produce and cooking ourselves with maybe two nights out at a local 'good' restaurant. Breakfast ingerdients like sausage, bacon, eggs etc bought in packs and kept fresh in a freezer and fridge are not expensive.

If I moved back to UK I'm sure eating out would be the same as it always was, for birthdays etc etc and not 2 or 3 times a week as seems to be the 'norm' here.

As I said we don't have kids who in many cases get brainwashed by the ads' on tv and develop the 'friend has it so you must get it for ME' or must go and get the latest junk food shown on tv. Not saying your kids are of that ilk, just a general statement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

I dont trust Gardeners , you never know what they get up till when youre not watching them  

Yeah they might steal the grass and tree cuttings, seen them riding away with them loads of times, blatant in broad daylight ????

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Geography and world history are not taught to them. Understandably, why bother, Thailand is the center of the universe, Thai is the universal language and the only history they need to know is to salute the flag in the morning.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Barmbeker said:

That ringing sound you hear, is your alarm- clock!

Time to wake up!

People were saying that over 30 years ago, but Thailand goes from strength to strength. I also remember the Asian Financial Crisis, when the economy contracted 25% and the currency halved its value - Thailand bounced back. It always does.

21 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Another Good enough Response.  Ive also lived in Thailand for close to 30 years and watched it go through repetitious cycles of corrupt and ineffective governments squandering opportunities to improve the lot for the average Thai.  As I (clearly) said there are many good things about Thailand including positive elements of development - but there are many things the country needs to address and particularly given its looming demographic cliff.  The pollution is much much worse than 20 years ago - no-one can possibly deny that.  It use to be just Bangkok that was polluted but now clear cutting and burning of natural forests have resulted in most of Asia being unlivable for 6 months of the year.  There are many other issues Thailand must confront as it continues its transition to an upper income country.   To just accept that in light of other achievements seems gormless at best, irresponsible at worst.   

Show me a place that doesn't have problems and I'll show you fairies at the bottom of your garden. The pollution? Do you remember all those two stroke motorbikes, belching out all that oily white smoke? They're all gone. It's bad like most big cities, but it's better than it was.

58 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Yeah they might steal the grass and tree cuttings, seen them riding away with them loads of times, blatant in broad daylight ????

Or when your not home they might be trimming the Mrs. bush and playing plumber, so it is best to take care of the yardwork yourself.

On 8/23/2020 at 1:54 AM, rooster59 said:

He added that Thailand has more good things than other countries, so Thai people should not allow foreigners and some Thais to create conflict between them.

well thats enough to completely discredit this xenophobes so called poll. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1