Giving up on Pattaya

aussiexpat

11 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

You really don't drink a lot, do you?

I can honestly say no-one has ever said that about me lol

Maybe I only frequent bars that cater to Aussies and their well known thirst for ice cold beer ????

20201008_114402.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

Meanwhile, this 100% covid free thailand tourist wannabe posing no risk to Thailand has just booked 10 days on the Aussie Gold Coast...100,000 baht in 10 days that could have went to Thailand if they didn't think of me as a foreign leper ????

Not to be too pedantic, but aren't the entry restrictions to foreigners for Australia somewhat similar to those of Thailand?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I'm not going to give you my exact address, but nowhere is more convenient than where I am. What services do you think are inconvenient for a person living near the park?

Thanks, you've clarified your location and this thread isn't the place to go over the well documented downsides of living "on the hill", no matter the quality of the dwelling.

8 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You nay be well known for thirst of ice cold beer but certainly not for taste drinking that muck.

I have to laugh every time I see a disparaging comment about a particular Thai beer. What does HBH drink that is so special.? Turn that into a really cringe worthy post by telling us the best one is......... (whatever). There is nothing special about any of them. Having said that ae's post is almost as bad. 

All are drinkable, none are memorable. 

Edited by rott

15 minutes ago, rott said:

I have to laugh every time I see a disparaging comment about a particular Thai beer. What does HBH drink that is so special.? Turn that into a really cringe worthy post by telling us the best one is......... (whatever). There is nothing special about any of them. Having said that ae's post is almost as bad. 

All are drinkable, none are memorable. 

My beer of choice is Leo, eventually everyone that stays here a while comes over to the dark side.

i don't know many people that drink Singha, especially the light version.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I'm a day drinker and I found that I could drink Singha light all afternoon and not be drunk (only 3.5%)

Until  one trip that I found myself feeling really drunk around 6pm every day. I thought I must be getting old until an expat told me they changed it to 4.5% while I was away....ruined my perfect drink so had to change to Tiger light (4.1%)

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

The main reason being that it is no longer produced.

A pleasant tasting low(er) calorie beer was pleased by that sh!t called My Beer.

2 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

I'm a day drinker and I found that I could drink Singha light all afternoon and not be drunk (only 3.5%)

Until  one trip that I found myself feeling really drunk around 6pm every day. I thought I must be getting old until an expat told me they changed it to 4.5% while I was away....ruined my perfect drink so had to change to Tiger light (4.1%)

I didn't have my glasses on before so thought it was just Singha not the Light, which has not been available for around 2 years. Now named My beer at 4.5% abv. 

I liked the Singha Light when it was 3.5% because I could do 5 large ones without falling over and without feeling too bad in the morning. I was fairly peed off when they upped it to 4.5%. So reverted to Leo up in the Nakhon and Tiger Light in PATTAYA and BKK. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:09 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Reading your answer i am not at all ''completely and utterly wrong''

but you are not alone to be in a form of deny

if it wasn't the girls, a lot of others places

offer you a much better deal for the beach

the swimming, the sun. the weather, the food

the shopping and the general ambience.

But, but, but it was the girls we came for.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 5:43 PM, rott said:
On 10/8/2020 at 2:48 PM, aussiexpat said:

As I kid, in the UK, I am sure beer was typically 2-3% tops.....at 18 I could drink 5 or 6 pints.......now I can just manage 4 bottles of Singha and I'm done for........there must be an untapped market for lower alcohol beers.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:23 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

My beer of choice is Leo, eventually everyone that stays here a while comes over to the dark side.

yes that does seem to be the case. Every long term person I know is a Leo drinker.

On 9/5/2020 at 5:20 PM, aussiexpat said:

Nope, kids education was never part of my reason to give up on Pattaya ????

Relieving mental stress was the reason for giving up on Pattaya, as hoping to soon go back was becoming too much. 

mental stress? compared to locked down Victoria, biker gangs  rotten tax an divorce laws,

On 10/8/2020 at 8:45 AM, aussiexpat said:

I can honestly say no-one has ever said that about me lol

Maybe I only frequent bars that cater to Aussies and their well known thirst for ice cold beer ????

20201008_114402.jpg

I always ask for a glass and ice. The beer here is the same bottled chemical fizz as Australia.

On 10/8/2020 at 11:56 AM, aussiexpat said:

Meanwhile, this 100% covid free thailand tourist wannabe posing no risk to Thailand has just booked 10 days on the Aussie Gold Coast...100,000 baht in 10 days that could have went to Thailand if they didn't think of me as a foreign leper ????

How do you dress when here? Dirty vests, scruffy shorts, flip flops?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, booji said:

yes that does seem to be the case. Every long term person I know is a Leo drinker.

Yes Leo is the preferred choice of the retired pensioner, personally my first choice is a large Singh then Tiger. I don't get why they want lower alcohol beer, maybe drink less instead 

Edited by scubascuba3

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes Leo is the preferred choice of the retired pensioner, personally my first choice is a large Singh then Tiger. I don't get why they want lower alcohol beer, maybe drink less instead 

Leo ABV 5%

Singha  ABV 5%

Tiger ABV 5%

I drink Leo because I prefer the taste. Whether hat's anything to do with age, I've no idea.

Edited by polpott

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

Some have ice, one reason to reduce the alcohol. There were a few posts further up where people wanted lower Alcohol

Whether you have ice or not (I do, it improves the flavour) there's still the same amount of alcohol in a bottle.

1 hour ago, polpott said:

Not in my case. A cold glass of Leo when I'm hot and thirsty, disappears in seconds.

Sure, but not as quick if it was only the 330ml of pure beer.  Add ice, and it's maybe a 380ml drink, so not consumed as fast.  Even if you drink it in seconds, some of that ice has melted, thus diluting your beer, thus diluting the alcohol per volume.  

I take your point, just commenting on the maths involved.  

On 10/8/2020 at 2:09 AM, bwpage3 said:

Countless?

There are 66 million people in Thailand.

How many graduate from western universities each year? And how many because their parents are filthy rich? It is not countless.

It is a known fact a Thai education is worthless outside of Thailand. 

4,000 engineers where I work in the US, India, China, South Koreans, Russians and not 1 Thai.

We had our son in one of the most expensive schools in Chiang Mai (https://ptis.ac.th/).

When he came to the US in the Eighth grade, he was a year behind the kids here for his age.

Now he is excelling at the Uni of Florida. Speaks English, Thai, Spanish.

He will have a future he never would have had, if we trapped him in the Thailand school system.

Thanks for sharing. I've told a friend whose daughter I tutored on weekends to take his daughter to Canada to give her a good education.

She's now there for around two years and seems to be very happy.

Relying on this wannabe education isn't the best.

Please go to any Rajabhat and try to find an English speaking senor student. 

It can often be strange if you can't speak Thai. 

• Like 1