New from US Embassy: "Official extension stamp" to change to long-term visa

24 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

So FYI everyone, for what it is worth, I called immigration 1178 hotline today. The staff member said that with US embassy letter will be no problem to get a 30 day extension. No special explanation would be required, and she believed no under consideration stamp would be needed, but a straight 30 day stamp would be given (i found the last bit strange). Since I was in BKK she suggested making an appointment at MTT for 1 week before the 26th and she said the 30 days would start from Sept 27. She also said there was no need to me to call MTT and ask for clarification there.

Wow so lucky,the Irish embassy are only giving letters to people who are married or have family here.

3 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Do you mean no "under consideration" stamp is needed for anyone on amnesty, for example, even if someone has used 60 day extension and their non o ME is now invalid? 

In any case, I plan to head to CW tomorrow. I have the US embassy letter. We will see how it goes. 

I mean for those seeking the 30 day covid extension. From what she said, it is supposed to be a one stop service this time. I look forward to seeing your report. Thanks.

Edited by vermin on arrival

2 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I mean for those seeking the 30 day covid extension. From what she said, it is supposed to be a one stop service this time. I look forward to seeing your report. Thanks.

I went back an read lopburi's post a few pages back, I think my wife will need to be there for the special 30 day extension. I can't go tomorrow if that is the case. 

5 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I went back an read lopburi's post a few pages back, I think my wife will need to be there for the special 30 day extension. I can't go tomorrow if that is the case. 

If you are on amnesty and getting the 30 day covid extension with embassy letter, maybe not. But don't take my word for it. I don't understand your special case. Listen to Peter, Joe or the other gurus.

20 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

So FYI everyone, for what it is worth, I called immigration 1178 hotline today. The staff member said that with US embassy letter will be no problem to get a 30 day extension. No special explanation would be required, and she believed no under consideration stamp would be needed, but a straight 30 day stamp would be given (i found the last bit strange). Since I was in BKK she suggested making an appointment at MTT for 1 week before the 26th and she said the 30 days would start from Sept 27. She also said there was no need to me to call MTT and ask for clarification there.

Thanks for the report.

It just confirms the procedure that with an Embassy issued letter you can apply at your local IO for the 30-days 'special extension' for reason of not being able to leave the country, and that that 30-day special extension will be provided starting 27 September.  That procedure was published in the InfoGraphic announcement of the 26 September Amnesty extension, so nothing new - but good that it is confirmed.

What is less clear:

1 - Whether applying with that Embassy issued letter, would indeed automatically grant you the 30-day special extension of stay.  Every US citizen can apply on-line for the US Embassy letter and it will be provided on the spot by return e-mail, and of course that 'standard letter' does not mention the reason or provide evidence why you are not able to return home.  So most probably IOs would put the onus on you to provide some evidence that you are indeed not able to go home, e.g. cancelled flights etc.  

2 - Despite its name, the 30-day special extension normally does not automatically provide you with 30 days when accepted by IO.  Normally, it is up to your local IO whether they see 30-days as necessary for you to make arrangements to leave the country, and they might provide you with less days if they think 30 days is not required.

3 - The moot point is also whether such a 30-day (or shorter) special extension of stay from the Embassy letter, would allow you to subsequently apply for a 1-year extension of stay.  Most probably that will NOT be allowed by IOs, as the intent of the embassy letter supported 30-days special extension of stay, is not to be a spring-board for your 1-year extension of stay, but is meant to regularize your 'forced' stay when not being able to leave the country.

4 - The Helpline did not mention anything about the 'mystery' Free Stamp that supposedly could be applied for at your local IO, which would regularize the Amnesty extension and would subsequently allow you to apply for a 1-year extension of stay from a 'valid' permission to stay.

If that were true, it would be grand news for many that are now with their backs against the wall and have no options left to stay longer in Thailand.

But there are now already 3 reports from people applying for that Free Stamp at their local IO and being met with 'blank stares' from the IO, so it looks that this Free Stamp narrative addressed in the US Embassy e-mail to its Facebook subscribers, is a total misunderstanding and that such a procedure has not been rolled-out by Immigration (there has also not been any communication about it, which is also tell-tale). 

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the report.

It just confirms the procedure that with an Embassy issued letter you can apply at your local IO for the 30-days 'special extension' for reason of not being able to leave the country, and that that 30-day special extension will be provided starting 27 September.  That procedure was published in the InfoGraphic announcement of the 26 September Amnesty extension, so nothing new - but good that it is confirmed.

What is less clear:

1 - Whether applying with that Embassy issued letter, would indeed automatically grant you the 30-day special extension of stay.  Every US citizen can apply on-line for the US Embassy letter and it will be provided on the spot by return e-mail, and of course that 'standard letter' does not mention the reason or provide evidence why you are not able to return home.  So most probably IOs would put the onus on you to provide some evidence that you are indeed not able to go home, e.g. cancelled flights etc.  

2 - Despite its name, the 30-day special extension normally does not automatically provide you with 30 days when accepted by IO.  Normally, it is up to your local IO whether they see 30-days as necessary for you to make arrangements to leave the country, and they might provide you with less days if they think 30 days is not required.

3 - The moot point is also whether such a 30-day (or shorter) special extension of stay from the Embassy letter, would allow you to subsequently apply for a 1-year extension of stay.  Most probably that will NOT be allowed by IOs, as the intent of the embassy letter supported 30-days special extension of stay, is not to be a spring-board for your 1-year extension of stay, but is meant to regularize your 'forced' stay when not being able to leave the country.

4 - The Helpline did not mention anything about the 'mystery' Free Stamp that supposedly could be applied for at your local IO, which would regularize the Amnesty extension and would subsequently allow you to apply for a 1-year extension of stay from a 'valid' permission to stay.

If that were true, it would be grand news for many that are now with their backs against the wall and have no options left to stay longer in Thailand.

But there are now already 3 reports from people applying for that Free Stamp at their local IO and being met with 'blank stares' from the IO, so it looks that this Free Stamp narrative addressed in the US Embassy e-mail to its Facebook subscribers, is a total misunderstanding and that such a procedure has not been rolled-out by Immigration (there has also not been any communication about it, which is also tell-tale). 

!. I asked specifically about that, and she said no evidence was needed and just go with the letter and I would be fine, but who knows the interpretation at different IOs.

2. She seemed to think 30 days would be an automatic thing with the embassy letter and would start on Sept. 27. She suggested to go 1 week before the amnesty ends. Again who knows the interpretation at various IOs.

3. I asked about this and she said the line about no changing visas in country. I mentioned the use of agents, and she was confused by this so I dropped it. That may make this more difficult.

4. I forgot to ask about the free stamp. My bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

If they are accepting Embassy letter request suspect there should not be need for anyone else - getting the impression they have decided it is better to have the visitors they have then plan on attracting new visitors having to undergo quarantine and complex entry issues.  Do not believe many tourists will be traveling under current or expected rules - the covid test itself is a very unpleasant experience according to some reports.  

I am just gonna go with my letter tomorrow no matter what. I will expect to get turned away in the confusion, that way if anything good happens I will be happy. Gotta manage expectations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the report.

What is less clear:

So if I am after a one year extension I should avoid the 30 day extension?

Honestly the more I look into this the more confused i get. I am sure that pattern will continue if I go to immigration. 

6 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

So if I am after a one year extension I should avoid the 30 day extension?

Honestly the more I look into this the more confused i get. I am sure that pattern will continue if I go to immigration. 

If your IO confirms that they would be willing to handle your subsequent application for a 1-year extension of stay from that Embassy letter supported 'special extension', there will be no problem.

But before you apply for that Embassy letter supported 30-day extension, you should enquire about this, otherwise you might find yourself in the waiting-room for leaving Thailand (because that 's what the Embassy special extension is meant for).

• Like 2

Well I went to my local io today and showed them a copy I made of the Free Stamp as 

shown  from the privies pages. Two of the officers just came from CMC and they all said

they never seen it before and said why would you need it?You got to the 26 of Sept. I can

see how people lose face now.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Unless I have missed something in the interim, this email in the OP and this letter still only applies to Americans?

If an updated post reports that an American successfully extends with the letter from Embassy, it means it may also help for other countries. BUT IT DEPENDS if your embassy is also agreeing to issue a letter for you. Most other embassies are not issuing these letters.

Edited by audaciousnomad

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

60K baht is a massive chunk of change - you could do so much with that locally, if only you could travel.

1 minute ago, audaciousnomad said:

If an updated post reports that an American successfully extends with the letter from Embassy, it means it may also help for other countries. BUT IT DEPENDS if your embassy is also agreeing to issue a letter for you. Some are not

I contacted the Irish embassy they will give a letter for people who have family, employment,or married ,I think the letter costs 1400 BAHT.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

Well I went to my local io today and showed them a copy I made of the Free Stamp as 

shown  from the privies pages. Two of the officers just came from CMC and they all said

they never seen it before and said why would you need it?You got to the 26 of Sept. I can

see how people lose face now.

Thanks for the report!

And so there are now already 4 reports of people enquiring about this Free Stamp at their IO, and getting the same response that IOs have never seen this before.

Conclusion > the e-mail that the US Embassy did sent out to their Facebook subscribers, is INCORRECT and there is no such thing as a Free Stamp available at your local IO to regularize your Amnesty extension.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the report!

And so there are now already 4 reports of people enquiring about this Free Stamp at their IO, and getting the same response that IOs have never seen this before.

Conclusion > the e-mail that the US Embassy did sent out to their Facebook subscribers, is INCORRECT and there is no such thing as a Free Stamp available at your local IO to regularize your Amnesty extension.

Somebody obviously got one. Hence the copy. Cannot remember where.?

20 minutes ago, pontious said:

Somebody obviously got one. Hence the copy. Cannot remember where.?

That HuaHIn stamp was posted without any background information.

So it could have been:

- a 'regular' 30-day extension of stay from someone applying for it from his Visa Exempt or Tourit Visa entry;

- an Embassy letter supported special extension.

>> Now with 5 reports of IOs never having heard of a Free Stamp, we should bury this hoax.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greggraham said:

The email from the US embassy is real. They might be wrong, but the email is not a hoax. 

But it seriously seems it was published prematurely and only to a small number of people.  And that on 27th notice they knew this information might not become policy and only referenced the 30 day extension of stay letter on web site.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jackson B said:

At CW today, the staff had no idea about the "free stamp". IO said not to listen to the embassy. No need to get stamp if applying for non-im visa.

I thought you had to go to MTT for short term extensions nowadays so could it be that you went to the wrong place 

[I know CW should know all of the rules but it's possible]

5 minutes ago, greggraham said:

Why would someone pay for an extension stamped until the end of amnesty? It would serve no purpose.

The email from the US embassy is real. They might be wrong, but the email is not a hoax. 

Under normal circumstances you are fully correct that the 30-day extension stamp ending on 26 September serves no purpose.  But there are some IOs that refuse to handle a 1-year extension of stay because the Applicant being on the Amnesty Extension.  Applying for the regular 30-day extension of stay would provide a 'valid' permission to stay which could then be used as spring-board for the 1-year extension of stay application.

But... applicant could also have waited till end of the Amnesty before applying, however if he/she had the required 400K seasoned already, they might have opted to do it now and get legit as soon as possible (in these crazy times I won't blame them for not taking any chances with IO).

I don't doubt the email from the US Embassy is real, but there is strong evidence now that it is not correct and based on a mis-understanding of what Immigration told them verbatim (once again, I don't blame them because Immigration lives in a universe of complex ambiguous rules of their own making, where logic and reason do not exist). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

But there are some IOs that refuse to handle a 1-year extension of stay because the Applicant being on the Amnesty Extension.  Applying for the regular 30-day extension of stay would provide a 'valid' permission to stay which could then be used as spring-board for the 1-year extension of stay application.

This is pretty much what the U.S. Embassy email says.

Edited by greggraham
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1