I've seen the grim reality of Thailand without tourists – and it isn't pretty

webfact

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

It saddens, but doesn't surprise me, that with a bag full of their usual western arrogance, many expats seem to think that the Thai economy revolves around them,  It isn't true, nowhere close,  and they may find that out to their cost in coming months and years. "Wake up and smell the coffee" seems an appropriate phrase here. 

What I know or discover doesn't affect the world or my life in any way.

In some ways I wish I'd never discovered how worthless women really are, at least then I could pretend like the rest of you. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 2

Just now, spoon1967 said:

Hotels, Bars, Restaurants, Taxi drivers, Tour operators, airlines, airport services, shopping malls, markets, currency exchanges, barber shops, massage parlours, all have staff who send money to those "rural locations" to help support families. 

Any foreigner who doesn't know that, doesn't know much about Thailand.

macro economics doesn't recognize that.   Manufacturing, exports,  digital high tech industries , financial services,  all make many billions of any currency more than your list.  You cannot build a national economy on service industries alone, just ask Hawaii/Spain/Italy/Portugal/ Brazil/Serbia, even the likes of the UK, who thought that service industries would replace manufacturing. They were wrong and the UK economy was only rescued by its financial services.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Think on this, over 40 million Thais live in rural locations that never see a tourist and don't need them for their local economy.  Don't get tourism out of proportion.  It is less than 18% of GDP and not absolutely vital to Thailand. Watch this space. It may all virtually end and I dont think that many Thais will cry any tears if it does. At the very least, it may be confined to a few restricted areas only, such as Phuket and Pattaya. 

Don't a lot of the rural people sell meat and produce to tourist spots?  They have no one to sell to.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

These are the countries most reliant on your tourism dollars

No 21 Thailand 9.82 % of GDP

https://qz.com/1724042/the-countries-most-reliant-on-tourism-for-gdp/

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the number of Thais travelling overseas were 8.79 million last year, up 7.23 per cent and they spent a combined worth Bt276 billion.

https://www.nationthailand.com/Tourism/30349409#:~:text=According to the Tourism Authority,with global median of %242.443.

Those GDP figures are disputed.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

How do Thais travelling overseas contribute to it's GDP? Because you now think they make the same amount of money as they did pre-COVID and will spend that in-country?

That's clearly not happening now is it?

Perhaps you missed the post where someone stated that their business of sending Thai tourists to Japan has been decimated for the past seven months. Will she be spending money on expensive domestic holidays any time soon?

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Think on this, over 40 million Thais live in rural locations that never see a tourist and don't need them for their local economy.  Don't get tourism out of proportion.  It is less than 18% of GDP and not absolutely vital to Thailand. Watch this space. It may all virtually end and I dont think that many Thais will cry any tears if it does. At the very least, it may be confined to a few restricted areas only, such as Phuket and Pattaya. 

True and where my in-laws live there are no tourists at all.  There are a few ex-pats but apart from that the way of life there is not affected by tourism.  However many of the people from the local villages have gone to the bigger cities to work, mainly Bangkok as it's easily accessible.  They then send money back to help the local economy. 

There can be a balance struck without Thailand being over reliant on foreign tourism.    

• Like 1

Are you kidding ! Most of these "Rural locations" depend mainly on cash sent by  members of their families who are "working" in tourist areas ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

What I know or discover doesn't affect the world or my life in any way.

In some ways I wish I'd never discovered how worthless women really are, at least then I could pretend like the rest of you. 

They aren't all worthless. You've just picked up some rubbish along the way. You just forgot to put them in the bin and move on....or you did it too late. There are rubbish men too. You know that, don't you?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I will look forward to a thread on: how to live in Thailand on 20 bucks a month.

The sewers of Pattaya will provide a great backdrop to the story your going to tell about how far 600 baht goes now wont they.

4 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

What a nonsensical comment ' only 18% GDP' ! Its massively important and it's not 18 it's nearer 15% and maintains millions of jobs and produces taxes for Gov

On the macro level it also boosts Thailand's balance of payments, boost international reserves and constitutes an external component of money supply, i.e the Bank of Thailand prints baht which it exchanges for tourists' foreign currency. Thus the money supply is boosted with money printed that is supported by international reserves which creates a positive effect on economic growth.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It saddens, but doesn't surprise me, that with a bag full of their usual western arrogance, many expats seem to think that the Thai economy revolves around them,  It isn't true, nowhere close,  and they may find that out to their cost in coming months and years. "Wake up and smell the coffee" seems an appropriate phrase here. 

Same here, never ceases to fascinate me.

you cant describe the economy of a country in such basic terms, tourists probably dont come into contact with a majority of the population in any country, however the income that is derived from tourism; the taxes tourists pay, the food, goods and services that tourists consume do have a beneficial effect on the country and population as a whole contributing to GDP which is spent on hospitals, education, waste management, police, etc.

• Like 1

It must be nice to be so rich and without compassion, that you don't care about millions of Thais losing their jobs and hundreds of thousands of businesses being destroyed.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Are you kidding ! Most of these "Rural locations" depend mainly on cash sent by  members of their families who are "working" in tourist areas ????

Maybe in your world but outside of Isaan not everyone is living off of their prostitute daughters or sons contributions.  Thailand is much bigger than that cliché.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Yes, but the modern generations do not want to be sat in a house of sticks and corrugated tin with no net access

I'd bet they could live with the house of sticks.    But no net access !   Forget it.   They have been impregnated with the seeds of insecurity , which has them hanging on every photo of lunch from their "group"

How many times have you stood and waited for assistance, as the needle of facebook held them in a stupor of self absorption. 

as grandpa used to ask  " vat is de vorld coming to "

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Instead of pretending to be enigmatic, why not spell out what you think is their aim.

Okay.  It is only conjecture of course, but if you look back in history Thailand has always been xenophobic and intent on making its own way without the help of more developed economies.  When they have asked for help, or more to the point reluctantly accepted it, it has never been for long,  as they always wanted to revert to type and do it their own way.  It's all wrapped up in "face".  They see the international reputation  of Thailand as being just a tourist  hot spot, beaches, warm beer, beach parties and sex lots of sex, they are not perceived internationally as a high tech country.  they hate the idea of being thought "Third World", or even "developing".  They are embarrassed by that reputation, anyone would be and they now they see the way out, as becoming a high tech economy, with much less emphasis on tourists and expats hence the development of the EEC as a focus of the future. It fits  not only the culture, by also the mind set of the Generals, who accept the risk of this re alignment as meaning pain in the medium term, but a better future and a much better reputation in the World. Seriously down grading tourist as a major factor in the economy fits this scenario very well. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, DaLa said:

Totally agree.  Include Bangkok (however many million) which is all but back to normal  ( we have a business here and have been trading continuously during the Covid-19 problem )  OK, I agree the tourist hot spots are quiet, however in reality what percentage of this relates to Bangkok. I've lived in Nonnthaburi for 11 years and other than when I go to immigration rarely see another farang let alone a tourist.

I wonder how many rural Thais are supported by family employed in Tourist jobs .All the workers seem to be from Issan ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, toast1 said:

It must be nice to be so rich and without compassion, that you don't care about millions of Thais losing their jobs and hundreds of thousands of businesses being destroyed.

Don't be so judgmental and emotional about it.  Its a scenario that may be playing out, its got  nothing to do with my personal feelings on the matter, of which you know less than nothing. . 

18 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Those GDP figures are disputed.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Thailand

How do Thais travelling overseas contribute to it's GDP? Because you now think they make the same amount of money as they did pre-COVID and will spend that in-country?

That's clearly not happening now is it?

Perhaps you missed the post where someone stated that their business of sending Thai tourists to Japan has been decimated for the past seven months. Will she be spending money on expensive domestic holidays any time soon?

Disputed by Who

As for Thais that travelled overseas you don't know if they are not making the same amount of money as they did pre-COVID

and you don't know if they are spending that money in-country or not

And you don't know the financial status of the person that was running a business of sending Thai tourists to Japan

2 minutes ago, davemos said:

I wonder how many rural Thais are supported by family employed in Tourist jobs .All the workers seem to be from Issan ?

You are referring to sex workers I assume.  Once again Thailand has much more than the sleaze associated with it.  There are thousands of people who work away from home in the bigger cities and send money home to help their families.  It always has been that way and not necessarily connected to prostitution. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Strong baht, Fit to Fly letter, visas, covid certificate, quarantine, phone tracking, health insurance, tax on leaving, dual pricing, restricted travel.....add this to reduced incomes tourists now suffer and general concerns over health and safety issues even before covid......tourism is dead in the water.

18% registered...take into account unlicenced staff, win drivers, jet skis, enterntainment lovelies...plus all the cottage industry that lot supports and not forgetting the monthly stipend sent back to rural Thailand for brother Somchais pick up....you are looking at upto 40%

• Like 1

Just now, from the home of CC said:

Yes it seems to be primarily the foreigners who think Thailand lives or dies with tourists. It is my opinion that in the long run they may find themselves a lot happier not having to babysit drunks and sex customers. There will be some adjustment pains with the easy money disappearing but they will come out of it stronger and better country for their children to grow up in..

exactly right 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Many countries have borrowed billions of dollars to help support businesses affected by COVID-19. Other than the lost tax revenue, the government has made extremely minimal support for people and businesses affected by COVID-19.

If Pi tourist industry collapses, they would likely ask the US to borrow billions of dollars from some of the country (maybe China) to give to Thailand to bail them out.  

And the Thai economy will stay strong because they never had to borrow any money to help the people