This place is becoming like a ghost town

CorpusChristie

4 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Yep, trapped in the Trumpster fire, seeking escape from The Purge..came home thinking id be safer, boy what a fool I was!  To think Id be safer in Maga world than a 3rd world....anyhoo....That was my location a few months ago and I would think still applies to my observations, as other have concluded about the situtation

My tea buddy is still up and going if you wanna pop by for a bubble tea and a photo...I did a review for his shop and it keeps sending me "view" updates and is now past 6000 views, so he seems to be doing ok-right in the heart of the old city, one block north of the famous Thae Pae gate, poor lonely starving pigeons tho..

The math equation being local=same same......no tourists=no business in tourist areas..seems simple to me

Hope i didnt wake you...fun dee teerak! ????

Welcome to the Monkey House where you will find likeminded souls who do not know where they are or even what continent they are on just for starters.  Please get some help whereever you are.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Olmate said:

Canal Road.. USA! ????

I have lived on canal rd on and off since 2008.....I left there mid march 2020...following along?...good

I have been home since march 2020, regretfully, hindsight is 20-20 in 2020......

The fact of my location currently has nothing to due with my comment or the situation at the time as they were doing temp checks, my original flight got cancelled, and things were getting bad with covid spread, and the facts of local area business vs tourist areas.

Canal rd and mae hia area is local and always has been, years ago, now and will likely in the future. Being that there are not many tourist in this area and seemed business as usual up until I left.....still with me?

The OP has posted about the old city aka tourist town, where I biked daily. Feel free to go back and read my responses as they apply then, years back and even today....my location in the states has no effect on the areas posted and the pics. I happy to spoof my location anywhere in the world if it makes you feel better.  Thanks for sharing, and yes USA makes me want to vomit as well, and i dont have Covid...yet.   If they open the borders I will fly back asap and get my old apt back so you wont be bothered so much about this... ????

Edited by ChakaKhan
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Welcome to the Monkey House where you will find likeminded souls who do not know where they are or even what continent they are on just for starters.  Please get some help whereever you are.

Any rooms left at the Monkey House?  I will refer you to the post right above this one.....Thanks for caring!

4 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

I will refer you to the post right above this one.....Thanks for caring!

Since you seem unable to discriminate the present from several years ago and half the time (that is generous) are compelled to demonstrate your teenage sexual obsessions, I will pass on your referral.

5 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

I have lived on canal rd on and off since 2008.....I left there mid march 2020...following along?...good

I have been home since march 2020, regretfully, hindsight is 20-20 in 2020......

The fact of my location currently has nothing to due with my comment or the situation at the time as they were doing temp checks, my original flight got cancelled, and things were getting bad with covid spread, and the facts of local area business vs tourist areas.

Canal rd and mae hia area is local and always has been, years ago, now and will likely in the future. Being that there are not many tourist in this area and seemed business as usual up until I left.....still with me?

The OP has posted about the old city aka tourist town, where I biked daily. Feel free to go back and read my responses as they apply then, years back and even today....my location in the states has no effect on the areas posted and the pics. I happy to spoof my location anywhere in the world if it makes you feel better.  Thanks for sharing, and yes USA makes me want to vomit as well, and i dont have Covid...yet.   If they open the borders I will fly back asap and get my old apt back so you wont be bothered so much about this... ????

Great summary! Suggest you stay in touch with your “bubble tea” guy for real time updates, meanwhile try not to outdo posters on the ground ..wisdom from afar ain’t working for you !

Edited by Olmate
  • Like 1

Oh my, where did all the people go? Maybe threatening them with jail time if they stayed had some effect? I feel sad for the locals. As for the posters on this forum who thought that everybody who had to leave were all starving backpackers, you were wrong.

• Confused 1

On 10/16/2020 at 9:09 PM, CorpusChristie said:

What is that opinion based on ?

The previously busy main roads and not busy anymore , can easily walk across the road without having to dodge cars , seems that all the people who previously worked in the tourist  industry have all gone home to their villages , its effected local businesses as well because all the people that worked in the tourist industry, no long spend their money in local shop s 

can easily walk across the road without having to dodge cars

Sounds great. Wish I was there to enjoy crossing the road without risking my life. I'd probably spend a while every day just walking around and crossing the road a lot for the enjoyment of C M without inconsiderate  drivers trying to kill pedestrians.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:08 AM, ChakaKhan said:

There are always options, just the same as when I used True move-I found AIS much better--I shopped around...worst case there is even satellite internet that wold work in the middle of the pacific. So it seems that you just CHOOSE not to search for a better option or pay more for a better service..  and even if the internet you claim to have drops or is slow, you could still download, just at much slower speeds. Lastly, as you seem to have enough "juice" to be on this site daily, you would have enough juice to download, slowly.

Where there is a will, there is a way...Id even go to a gaming cafe, tons of them in LOS, your move mate ????

https://internationalsatelliteservices.com/products/portable-satellite-internet/

If you are prepared to pay the extortionate cost of private internet for me I'll happily take your money, but given the cost of living here vs the pension, I think I'll choose rent and eating over continuous internet.

If I was living in LOS I'd undoubtedly be using internet cafes. I used one on Lamphun- 10 baht an hour- good deal.

Given this is not about C M and ghost towns I think enough about my internet woes.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

can easily walk across the road without having to dodge cars

Sounds great. Wish I was there to enjoy crossing the road without risking my life. I'd probably spend a while every day just walking around and crossing the road a lot for the enjoyment of C M without inconsiderate  drivers trying to kill pedestrians.

Sorry to say you have picked on yet another one of a CM poster's  somewhat misleading non specifically accurate descriptions of CM traffic.

I think I am right in saying that most of us on this thread eventually agreed (via posts that have had to, quite rightly, be removed, that traffic is certainly down in CM but it still can get busy during the normal peak times and you most certainly cannot look forward to as you say; 
"enjoy crossing the road without risking my life. I'd probably spend a while every day just walking around and crossing the road a lot for the enjoyment of C M without inconsiderate  drivers trying to kill pedestrians."

I therefore advise you that anytime you do eventually come to CM it will certainly be better than now, not a 'Ghost Town' and will not be a pedestrian utopia as many people are still going about their normal daily business!

Look left, look right etc,

Edited by fangless

19 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Since you seem unable to discriminate the present from several years ago and half the time (that is generous) are compelled to demonstrate your teenage sexual obsessions, I will pass on your referral.

Several years ago?   Ive been living in CM since 2008 and left mid march..how is 7 months "years ago"?

Teenage sexual obsessions?   Huh?....seems you are unable to hide your freudian slips about teen sex.

Pass on my referral? To whom?  I might suggest a spot where you can stick that referral if you wish ????

Still didnt answer my question about availability at the Monkey House, suppose I have to wait until you leave

Thanks for taking the time to show you care about others well being here and passing out "referrals"??

4 hours ago, fangless said:

Agreed!

Why do people have to highjack topics?

My comments were about internet access in Cm and my exps with downloading, it was a reply TO that topic

The world is blowing up with Covid and you guys are worried about going off topic.....God save the Queen!

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you are prepared to pay the extortionate cost of private internet for me I'll happily take your money, but given the cost of living here vs the pension, I think I'll choose rent and eating over continuous internet.

If I was living in LOS I'd undoubtedly be using internet cafes. I used one on Lamphun- 10 baht an hour- good deal.

Given this is not about C M and ghost towns I think enough about my internet woes.

You moaned about not being able to download, I gave you options and solutions....as thais tend to say Up 2 U

18 hours ago, Olmate said:

Great summary! Suggest you stay in touch with your “bubble tea” guy for real time updates, meanwhile try not to outdo posters on the ground ..wisdom from afar ain’t working for you !

Truth needs no support...theres some more wisdom for you.....replying to folks such as yourself aint working

2 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Truth needs no support...theres some more wisdom for you.....replying to folks such as yourself aint working

The meaning of working in my reply seems to have escaped you. Understandable ..never mind!

My comments were about internet access in Cm and my exps with downloading, it was a reply TO that topic

The world is blowing up with Covid and you guys are worried about going off topic.....God save the Queen!

Erm, the world is not blowing up. When the last human dies from whatever may cause it the world will be just fine and will carry on without us.

Even the human reaction is, IMO, more to do with government and media as plagues have come and gone before without everyone being forced to live in their room.

Rules are rules and I fear I have just strayed, again.

Nuff said.

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

OK , 11 PM

DSCF5927.JPG

First too early, then too late.  Why is it so difficult for you to get "dinner time" is the busy time?

I said evening crowd, you get it "evening".  I did not say late night which is what 11pm is.  

I wish you all the best in finding some help for your problems.  But congratulations on finding four empty tables and successfully photographing them.

11 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Spent all night wandering around the area trying to find the elusive "jam packed every night " Oxide bar , couldnt find it anywhere .

Just look for the address and it seems the Hangout bar and Oxide bar are the same place

DSCF5922.JPG

Time and day as you posted this mid-week when most students are studying....and thais are all about being outside which i can see in the back if I squint thru another blurry photo..(music on the right outside?)

Go back on the weekend at midnight and timestamp the next pic.....turn on auto-focus Shaky Mcgee

Time and day as you posted this mid-week when most students are studying....and thais are all about being outside which i can see in the back if I squint thru another blurry photo..(music on the right outside?)

Go back on the weekend at midnight and timestamp the next pic.....turn on auto-focus Shaky Mcgee

You are right. Had to look hard but there are loads of people outside.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can't speak for the present, but Pattaya was literally a city that was always open for fun times. Perhaps the world has got sad and forgotten what it was like to have fun. 

You can still have fun, there's just hardly anyone about, perfect for the long timers.

Oxide and T-bar are on opposite sides of the road, how anyone could find one without seeing the other .........

oxide.jpg

• Thanks 1

I WAS outside, I took the photo through the window, hence the blurriness ., just responding to BM2s claim that it was "jam packed every night " , and no, I wont be going back again , they are student bars , for students , not really the kind of place for adults to be hanging around .

16 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

they are student bars , for students , not really the kind of place for adults to be hanging around .

Maybe the thai police will let you volunteer with your camera to take pics of older "offenders" "lusting"... ????

Sidenote to Britman, save me a seat, inside, to avoid the vol cm police guy, who was last seen "hanging" out outside the establishment "taking photos" of said students, lurking in the shadows......official business I guess

• Haha 1