This place is becoming like a ghost town

CorpusChristie

9 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Before I left Cm in mid march(regretfully) Id ride my bike daily around old city, I pretty much did the same route daily, even going down loy kroh for the ego boost and cat calls and the clapping thing(like Im a dog)

Id ride up chan klan as the Night bazaar was getting ready and no real traffic, turning right, where the above pics were taken. Was ALWAYS dead...is a soi mostly used by japanese men and the Muslim owners as you can see by the signs....also Dutch GH at end, as most backpackers stay in old city by TP gate area inwards.

The NB Suites GH you can see..is old dilapidated hotel, as it usually empty as Ive walked in to have a look and looks abandoned..it isnt but appears so, as they rent a few rooms on AirBnb if you wanna see them, as I was looking for a quiet room and from my yrs of driving past here daily it sure looked dead quiet.....that soi is downright spooky at night, and this was during high season as Ive seen since being in CM since 2008....

I have also lived outside old city and would agree normal thai life is bustling..I hate tourists as well, even though Im reminded by thais in the old city daily and the usual  where u from? How long u stay thailand.

Lastly Just wanted to see how long we can keep this thread alive....so expect some more snarkiness ????

I'm quite certain those pics were taken on the last soi off Sridornchai, on the right just before L'Opera Bakery, Anantara Hotel, etc. But yes, that area is ALWAYS dead. And like you said, single Japanese men tend to stay in rooms on that soi to be close to the karaoke clubs catering to the Japanese. Most of the Muslim-owned businesses have folded. The Malaysian grilled chicken sold near the corner was really good, but they are gone as well. Really, those pictures don't represent much at all. Even during peak tourist season prior to this year, that area was always dead and the building run down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2020 at 12:24 PM, flare said:

I was in town yesterday around lunchtime, and walked around the Pantip Plaza area- I hadn't been there in a while, and was amazed at how dead it was.  Hardly any cars on the street when they're usually backed up to the traffic lights, not one person in Starbuck's (which would generally have people in the afternoon), no one but a single 'Grab' delivery guy in McD's, many small restaurants closed, loads of lonely massage girls calling out to me from 100m away ('There's one!  Get him!')- it was sad (before I hear rants about Starbuck's, McDonalds, or massage girls, I wasn't patronizing any of them, but I was literally looking for people).

Pantip Plaza itself had a pretty good crowd, but it was for a video game tournament which groups of teenage boys sitting around on their phones- most people weren't there shopping.

Things are pretty bad at the moment.

Pantip above ground floor was never busy at anytime I was there, and I went a lot. I bought a lot of DVDs on the 3rd floor.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pantip above ground floor was never busy at anytime I was there, and I went a lot. I bought a lot of DVDs on the 3rd floor.

I only went up to the second floor, but it was kinda busy as well, just like the first floor- there was some kind of 'cosplay' thing going on with college-age girls dressed up like anime characters, some in quite revealing costumes.

It wasn't the worst time to be at Pantip, actually.????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Photos?

I didn't take any- I just checked the Pantip FB page, and there are loads of pics of the guys sitting in small groups looking at their phones, but hardly any of the girls- I don't know who's managing their page, but they're doing a pretty poor job.????

6 hours ago, flare said:

I only went up to the second floor, but it was kinda busy as well, just like the first floor- there was some kind of 'cosplay' thing going on with college-age girls dressed up like anime characters, some in quite revealing costumes.

They have the cosplay convention in the big hall about 3 times a year.

It's been a dump for years,  elderly guys pretending their 'boyfriend' is not a prostitute,  nightlife closed down by police and army,  the worst kind of elephant pant tourists....a town under occupation. Joyless, polluted and depressing. Not real Thailand. 

This is self-inflicted....the Thai Government is responsible for this misery. Require testing prior to arrival, and another upon arrival...at the expense of the traveler of course.....if both are negative, the chances of you still being infected is miniscule.  

There IS a choice, the wrong one is being forced upon the Thai people.  This is a bad flu, look at the mortality rate today...

8 hours ago, flare said:

I didn't take any- I just checked the Pantip FB page, and there are loads of pics of the guys sitting in small groups looking at their phones, but hardly any of the girls- I don't know who's managing their page, but they're doing a pretty poor job.????

geeky computer nerds staring at their phones as cute thai hotties abound....

(searches amazon for jar jar binks costume---me sa me sa so horny!--me sa-stay in home too long!)

10 hours ago, flare said:

ooops seems my floppy disk just just jammed in my hard drive--better get down to pantip and seek "help"

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, elektrified said:

I'm quite certain those pics were taken on the last soi off Sridornchai, on the right just before L'Opera Bakery, Anantara Hotel, etc. But yes, that area is ALWAYS dead. And like you said, single Japanese men tend to stay in rooms on that soi to be close to the karaoke clubs catering to the Japanese. Most of the Muslim-owned businesses have folded. The Malaysian grilled chicken sold near the corner was really good, but they are gone as well. Really, those pictures don't represent much at all. Even during peak tourist season prior to this year, that area was always dead and the building run down.

Confirmed as i would usually stop at the 7-11 on the otherside, chug a tea outside and gaze and wonder what lie behind the dark tinted doors of the karaoke, then bike on down to the corner, blowing my bike whistle at the guards outside of the hotels..became our little thing...who had the biggest whistle on the block-amirite!?

7 hours ago, Nout said:

It's been a dump for years,  elderly guys pretending their 'boyfriend' is not a prostitute,  nightlife closed down by police and army,  the worst kind of elephant pant tourists....a town under occupation. Joyless, polluted and depressing. Not real Thailand. 

Thailand is too diverse for anyone to claim to know the "real" Thailand, but I agree that C M is a dump. I lived there because it was cheaper than Pattaya but I'd rather have lived in Pattaya.

12 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I'm only annoyed at irrelevant posts like yours rather than someone reporting the business environment.

NOTE: It's you're, not your. Make better use of your time learning how to spell (or proof-read).

Spell me dead, it’s the police . A winge about new shops is reporting?

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not everyone can or want to download off the internet.

There used to be a DVD shop on north side of old town that had a catalog that you could pick titles and he would download and burn them onto dvd for you.....I did find a fake nice box set of the office in Malaysia.

I used to download-burn dvds   now is so easier to just stream.....times they are a changing....would still go to Maya mall to catch a movie it it was worth watching on the big screen  like a Bond flick  007

9 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

There used to be a DVD shop on north side of old town that had a catalog that you could pick titles and he would download and burn them onto dvd for you.....I did find a fake nice box set of the office in Malaysia.

I used to download-burn dvds   now is so easier to just stream.....times they are a changing....would still go to Maya mall to catch a movie it it was worth watching on the big screen  like a Bond flick  007

Some can't download movies from the internet. One such is myself. My internet is too irregular to guarantee continuity at any time.

Doesn't matter that it's easier or better if one's computer loses the internet at any time.

1 hour ago, fangless said:

What the hell are you up to?  
Are you determined to kill off what is left of business in CM.
Posting pictures, falsely narrated or otherwise, and/or stating that a business is “closed” whether it may just be shut for lunch can do irreparable damage to that business.  Unless the business has a sign that states it is both closed and up for sale can you please desist in this malicious campaign of yours to kill off CM businesses and stop posting such items.

I am currently seeking legal advice regarding posts such as yours!

I can clearly see 3 that have 'for rent' signs and 1 that says 'closed'.

What time of day did he take the pics, was it 'lunch time'?

16 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

that have 'for rent' signs

I am not getting at you "dingdongrb" The following are NOT directed at you.

But I wish people like CC would stop taking a "For Sale" or "For Rent" sign to mean the business has failed and closed permanently.

Just because a sign says "for rent" does not mean it is bust/closed/doomed etc!  The employee may have just gone to lunch!

CM can and may survive if idiots stop knocking it!

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

What time of day did he take the pics, was it 'lunch time'?

Could that be a euphemism for a "lunch time session" in the pub? 

Seriously with CC it is not a clear case of what time of day or place etc, more a case of Photo cropping/omission, what is todays message to be and/or what misleading narratives etc can be added/implied!

Otherwise just take the photos with a very large dose of salt! 

• Sad 1

On 10/11/2020 at 6:51 PM, Kadilo said:

I was walking down a road Saturday at 3 PM in a central area and EVERY shop was closed .

Despite the Mods removing the original false statement by "CorpusChristie" that "EVERY shop was closed" can I please explain that this remaining post/reference is NOT TRUE as he later admitted. 

There are many flourishing businesses in the Sridonchai 90/1-90/30 soi area and  are OPEN for business as usual!

Please do not believe the deniers, they are killing CM businesses.  Please do not make posts about "closed" when you mean "permanently shut down" businesses unless you have proof that they are permanently shut down. 

• Sad 1