This place is becoming like a ghost town

CorpusChristie

21 minutes ago, fangless said:

I do not NEED to do anything to your bidding and I do not have either the time or inclination to waste time highlighting all your lies and misleading statements.

Yes, you do, if you make a claim you need to back it up .

I back my claims up with photos , you cannot back up your claims of the 15 open shops............because they are not open 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to see some business(s) is back in town. 

Seven large tour busses, 3 at first ( didn't see if they were occupied) and then another 4 of a different company - but of the Multi Coloured blue variety (full) just went down the Sridonchia road towards the river  in the last 30 minutes. 

Also nice to see some of the small Boutique Style hotels and some of the larger ones like CH in the area getting some customers and some local tour companies getting some customers.

I am glad to say that CM is NOT dead despite what some may say!

PS;  Please can there be no requests for Photographs to prove (or otherwise)  the fact that the busses really did go down Sridonchia tonight or that customers entered any hotels.  We are not all walking downtown with cameras poised nor intending to pry into their businesses!!  I am just reporting first hand observations.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, fangless said:

Nice to see some business(s) is back in town. 

Seven large tour busses, 3 at first ( didn't see if they were occupied) and then another 4 of a different company - but of the Multi Coloured blue variety (full) just went down the Sridonchia road towards the river  in the last 30 minutes. 

Also nice to see some of the small Boutique Style hotels and some of the larger ones like CH in the area getting some customers and some local tour companies getting some customers.

I am glad to say that CM is NOT dead despite what some may say!

PS;  Please can there be no requests for Photographs to prove (or otherwise)  the fact that the busses really did go down Sridonchia tonight or that customers entered any hotels.  We are not all walking downtown with cameras poised nor intending to pry into their businesses!!  I am just reporting first hand observations.

Coincidently enough , I walked up and down Sridonchia road yesterday twice (looking for non existent phone boxes) and had I seen those tour buses , I would have taken a photo myself, but unfortunately, I didnt see any tour buses in that area yesterday 

On 11/8/2020 at 11:35 AM, CorpusChristie said:

Coincidently enough , I walked up and down Sridonchia road yesterday twice (looking for non existent phone boxes) and had I seen those tour buses , I would have taken a photo myself, but unfortunately, I didnt see any tour buses in that area yesterday 

I spoke with a long time Thai friend recently who works for GreenBus and he informed me that business is back now at 70%. Sounds like the Thai people and farangs stuck in LOS or living here are starting to move around again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I spoke with a long time Thai friend recently who works for GreenBus and he informed me that business is back now at 70%. Sounds like the Thai people and farangs stuck in LOS or living here are starting to move around again.

Those buses always go full , although there does seem to be a reduced number of buses , what he probably meant was theres been a 30 % reduction of bus services 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Those buses always go full , although there does seem to be a reduced number of buses , what he probably meant was theres been a 30 % reduction of bus services 

Do you know for a fact if there has been any reduction in that bus service?  

Are you sure it's not probably 20% or maybe probably 40% or some other probable figure or have you got your fake stopwatch, spreadsheet and camera evidence available to prove that statement or are you just reading people's minds with no actual facts to go on?

• Confused 1

On 10/27/2020 at 7:42 AM, Trujillo said:

Interestingly, when the Sunday Chiang Mai walking street re-opened, there were few people, but probably 30% foreigners. 

Fast forward to last Sunday and the walking street was quite full of Thais. The number of foreigners seems to have dropped too (not just the percentage). 

It made me think that as soon as the country was locked down, merchants here should have immediately shifted -- as much a possible -- to catering to Thais only. It's not too late for businesses to try to adapt since it is highly unlikely we (or the giant thinkers in Bangkok) will find a way out of this any time soon. 

I should add that some places would have to totally re-think their entire operations as, like the Night Bazaar, is a 100% tourist trap area. To say that the Night Bazaar is dead would be a misnomer -- the Night Bazaar no longer exists. The area was so exclusively centered on foreign tourists that there is no place for it to pivot. But there are areas hard hit by the lack of foreign tourists that could -- and must for survival -- shift totally (at least for now) to becoming totally "Thai-centric." 

How do you know they are all Thai? You can't assume all Asian looking are Thai.

I was eating at KFC when I heard people at the next table talking in a non-Thai language.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, EricTh said:

How do you know they are all Thai? You can't assume all Asian looking are Thai.

I was eating at KFC when I heard people at the next table talking in a non-Thai language.

They may have been Thais talking together in a non Thai language 

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, sungod said:

Cant move for hill tribe people in KFC

They dont wear their hill tribe clothes in the city , they dress and act and look like everyone else which includes going to KFC, the only difference is that they speak to each other in their local dialect

Edited by CorpusChristie
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

They dont wear their hill tribe clothes in the city , they dress and act and look like everyone else which includes going to KFC, they only difference is that the speak to each other in their local dialect

I suppose you have lots of photos of them and know that those people are "Hill Tribe"  'A' and the others are "Hill Tribe" 'B" etc by their different dialects and nothing else. 

I assume also therefore that you can differentiate all the tribes and people from  various areas of Myanmar and you know the dialects and languages of all the countries around Asia and are able to tell them all apart from Thais and the Thai "Hill Tribe" people!

PS;  Apologies to all the "Hill Tribe" people reading this on your iPad if my calling you "Hill Tribe"  'A' or 'B" offends you.  The next time you see CC in KFC, or any of your other western haunts, he will of course apologise fluently to you in your local dialect on my behalf. 

Edited by fangless

3 minutes ago, fangless said:

I suppose you have lots of photos of them and know that those people are "Hill Tribe"  'A' and the others are "Hill Tribe" 'B" etc by their different dialects and nothing else. 

I assume also therefore that you can differentiate all the tribes and people from  various areas of Myanmar and you know the dialects and languages of all the countries around Asia and are able to tell them all apart from Thais and the Thai "Hill Tribe" people!

BS. Pull the other one.  !!!!

I recognise the Tai-yai and Lisu dialects when I hear it spoken, and I often hear it spoken in KFCs .

Its quite easy to tell the difference between Thai hill tribers  and Foreign tourists .

Anyway, my point was that just because a person isnt speaking Thai, that doesnt necessarily  make them a non Thai 

• Haha 2

Nice to see a couple of large brightly lit and full looking tourist busses going past Rasta Café a few minutes ago.

I know it is not brilliant but it does seem to mean, along with the hotels slowly opening up and local businesses getting more customers that things are very slowly improving.

It is not all doom and gloom!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:
3 hours ago, fangless said:

BS. Pull the other one.  !!!!

Expand  

I recognise the Tai-yai and Lisu dialects when I hear it spoken, and I often hear it spoken in KFCs .

Its quite easy to tell the difference between Thai hill tribers  and Foreign tourists .

Anyway, my point was that just because a person isnt speaking Thai, that doesnt necessarily  make them a non Thai 

In Chang Mai there are MANY Thai Yai (Shan) Lisu Akha Lahu etc living and working, they go out and speak among themselves in their own languages .. and yes I can also differentiate between them and know which language they are conversing in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, fangless said:

Do you know for a fact if there has been any reduction in that bus service?  

Are you sure it's not probably 20% or maybe probably 40% or some other probable figure or have you got your fake stopwatch, spreadsheet and camera evidence available to prove that statement or are you just reading people's minds with no actual facts to go on?

Greenline stopped all the bus services during the pandemic , as did all of Thailand . They reintroduced a limited service when the dangers of the virus subsided  .

As estimated  , they are now running at 70 % services of pre covid .

Just a personal observation , buses to CR used to leave every 15-30 minutes , nowadays it seems to he about an hour they depart 

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Greenline stopped all the bus services during the pandemic , as did all of Thailand . They reintroduced a limited service when the dangers of the virus subsided  .

As estimated  , they are now running at 70 % services of pre covid .

Just a personal observation , buses to CR used to leave every 15-30 minutes , nowadays it seems to he about an hour they depart 

That 70% I posted wasn't an estimate, it was from a very reliable source who works for the company at a high level.

Leaving every 15 minutes or every hour doesn't indicate at what percentage of normal the company is running. 

By the way, it's GreenBus I was talking about not Greenline.

• Like 1

The vendors around Bhubing Palace are worthy of pity now. I was there yesterday and the small walkways lined with souvenirs and clothing, etc., as well as coffee shops and restaurants were deserted, and the people working there, a bit like automatons, continue to man their posts, call at you to come have a look as you pass by, but the fact is that without foreign tourists, it's all an exercise in futility. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

That 70% I posted wasn't an estimate, it was from a very reliable source who works for the company at a high level.

Leaving every 15 minutes or every hour doesn't indicate at what percentage of normal the company is running. 

By the way, it's GreenBus I was talking about not Greenline.

Buses usually leave 100 % full , fangless, please will you go to the bus station and enquire about buying the next ticket to CR , I am that the next few buses departing will be full and you will have to wait a few hours to get on a bus .

I am quite sure you friend meant that 70 % of buses are now back running .

When buses were full , there was a red car service up to CR

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I am quite sure you friend meant that 70 % of buses are now back running .

That's strange, I don't recall seeing you there when I was talking with him.

No, he specifically said that the overall business was back to 70% of normal, nothing about the number of buses in service.

You do realize that Greenbus goes to many other destinations besides Chiang Rai, don't you? And now it appears you are riding every bus to CR seeing that they are all 100% full..... too <deleted> funny!

• Like 1