This place is becoming like a ghost town

CorpusChristie

On 10/6/2020 at 11:10 PM, Lancelot said:

Accepting reality (The world will always have diseases) vs. "safety" is the ongoing debate of our times.

I liked one Thai man's answer: "What good is it if we are covid free, a virus I have a 99% chance of surviving, if I lose my job and starve to death?" 

yeah, far better he has a job for 3 weeks.. then once the inevitable happens they can lock down the whole country and the other 80% can starve with him.

foresight is not a strong trait here.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Anusan market tonight, many stalls, I was the only felang there .

I didn't buy anything , just nowhere else to go 

Boy--talk about making yourself a target..Can you do a livestream of you walking up loy kroh rd? ????

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Not interested myself , but the going  rate seemed to be 500 Baht and no barfine 

Many of them have phones, if you would like to make a connection 

Seemed to be 500 Baht”...yeah righto. ????

On 10/7/2020 at 1:42 AM, FolkGuitar said:

One always has a chance of getting another job and NOT starving to death. It may be a slim chance, but it's a chance.

There is no chance if you die. None what so ever...

Which would you choose?

I would not expect to die from Covid.Even if you are 80 years old in the West you have more chance of Winning the Lottery than dying with this new strain of flu .

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2020 at 10:35 PM, BobBKK said:

Very, very sad to see over a virus 800 million had and only 0.12% died of. Madness.

PS source WHO:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-54422023?fbclid=IwAR0KXTWT_wUK5umynT9BuZeN0yr8oITkFguB3oE9DY5HDSA_SyZP-H4ApjI

Indeed, but many on TVF will accuse any of us that point that out of being nefarious and not caring about "others".

The bill for government actions will be large. People dying of other treatable diseases unable to get care, increased domestic abuse, increased suicide etc, and the borrowed money might take generations to pay off.

On 10/7/2020 at 1:08 PM, BritManToo said:

For this level of world governments reaction I would have expected 20+% of the population to have died.

According to google 50 million died in 1918 of the Spanish flu, but they didn't close down the world for it, did they?

According to google, world population then was 1.8 billion, so a way higher % of population died.

On 10/8/2020 at 12:52 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm retired ...... I'll never have another job.

Doubt there's much chance for me to suffer 'long-term consequences' either, not that long left.

I'm taking my chances of being in the 99% that survived.

But I'm OK with you locking yourself alone in a room for the rest of your life.

It amazes me that so many want everyone to be scared along with them. What happened to the human race that it became so scared? No need to answer, you and I know what happened.

• Like 1

Anusarn Market is owned by the Chang beer group. So for them, crocodile tears. For the individual renters, the border lockdown has been a disaster. 

The few stalls that are open are there, I assume, since they have nothing else to do. There is a large section of the market where all the fixtures for the previously existing "booths" have been totally removed. I get the impression that there is a "reimagining" coming whenever the tourists come back, which by looking at the way things are going, will not happen for a very long time. 

My guess is that there is a real possibility that in the meantime, this will be modified to be a place for Thais, much like the walking streets in Pattaya/Phuket are apparently doing. Either that or it will simply lie fallow.  

7 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Anusarn Market is owned by the Chang beer group. So for them, crocodile tears. For the individual renters, the border lockdown has been a disaster. 

The few stalls that are open are there, I assume, since they have nothing else to do. There is a large section of the market where all the fixtures for the previously existing "booths" have been totally removed. I get the impression that there is a "reimagining" coming whenever the tourists come back, which by looking at the way things are going, will not happen for a very long time. 

My guess is that there is a real possibility that in the meantime, this will be modified to be a place for Thais, much like the walking streets in Pattaya/Phuket are apparently doing. Either that or it will simply lie fallow.  

IMO the place was a <deleted>, even if it was the best night market in Chiang Mai. They have the opportunity to make it into something that is actually attractive and worth visiting.

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Probably caused by the feminisation of the west, men are taught to no longer be men.

Women have always been scared of everything, which was why men locked them up safe at home.

But they demanded equality so now everyone is locked up at home, and we're equal.

As a Gen-X, where we were raised to take care of business, I agree with the herd mentality and recent loss of masculinity world-wide.  Just read some of the recent posts on this board if you need further evidence.  ????

• Like 2

23 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Could do, nothing to be seen though,  just a few bars left open with some grannies offering their services  

Grannies need loving too..bonus most can just pop their teeth out too.....good times are a waiting!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I was there last night , many of the stalls were open and I was the only person there (apart from the stall holders )

I cannot see the stall holders bothering to keep going there every night if theres no customers 

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 4:26 PM, CorpusChristie said:

I was there last night , many of the stalls were open and I was the only person there (apart from the stall holders )

I cannot see the stall holders bothering to keep going there every night if theres no customers 

My guess would be they are the hired help selling someone elses stash.....heres all my crappy wax flowers shipped in from china....either they sit in a box or I give a gal 100 bt to sit and play with her phone for a few hrs.....or they are bored and have nothing else to do..may as well hang with their market friends......still think after the market stroll up loy kroh and get some pics of isaan grannies cat calling you and the clapping ????

I was in town yesterday around lunchtime, and walked around the Pantip Plaza area- I hadn't been there in a while, and was amazed at how dead it was.  Hardly any cars on the street when they're usually backed up to the traffic lights, not one person in Starbuck's (which would generally have people in the afternoon), no one but a single 'Grab' delivery guy in McD's, many small restaurants closed, loads of lonely massage girls calling out to me from 100m away ('There's one!  Get him!')- it was sad (before I hear rants about Starbuck's, McDonalds, or massage girls, I wasn't patronizing any of them, but I was literally looking for people).

Pantip Plaza itself had a pretty good crowd, but it was for a video game tournament which groups of teenage boys sitting around on their phones- most people weren't there shopping.

Things are pretty bad at the moment.

I have to say guys. I live out in the sticks in sakon nahkon. In all my years i have never seen so many women in my life out here. Eyeing me like candy and i am definitely not eye candy. Ha, this was also the best sonkron i have ever had. As it was quite. 

tho, i am annoyed with the constant small shops opening around me. In my village there are now 9, yes 9 ma and pa shops on a small 7 block road....seems to be a new one opening every week. Monkey see...monkey do. I suppose.

anyone else notice that alot of thais are still shopping like they are millionaires?

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BlueT84 said:

I have to say guys. I live out in the sticks in sakon nahkon. In all my years i have never seen so many women in my life out here. Eyeing me like candy and i am definitely not eye candy. Ha, this was also the best sonkron i have ever had. As it was quite. 

tho, i am annoyed with the constant small shops opening around me. In my village there are now 9, yes 9 ma and pa shops on a small 7 block road....seems to be a new one opening every week. Monkey see...monkey do. I suppose.

anyone else notice that alot of thais are still shopping like they are millionaires?

Sorry your annoyed by new shops...do they interfere with you in some way?

• Like 1

210,000+ dead people would disagree.                                                                                                                 Only if you believe the disingenuous media who spew lies. Per the CDC 94% of these deaths were due to co-morbities associated with these mostly elderly individuals.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

before COVID, pollution was ruining this city.  before that, chinese mass influx.   in-between, immigration was hating on us farangs.  last time i was there people weren't very nice, and likely didn't grow up in CM (so people tell me).  10-years ago, great until you realized the pollution is every year.   

if there is one silver lining, maybe people are nicer there now.  

greed greed greed......and then this.   

• Like 1

I was out last night with some friends. All I can say is that it has been many, many years since since I have seen such a robust and active local scene happening here. We started at what I can only describe as a "block party" in the area behind Big C. The entire street was blocked off with a huge stage, live bands, lots of drink promotions, many people selling food and many, many people spending money and having a good time. From there we (tried) to go to a newish place on 700 Pi Road near Meechai intersection but it was impossible to go there as there had to have been 300 cars parked along the road from the direction of the Doi Saket Road on up to the Phrao Road. No parking anywhere! And, directly across the road was just as busy with another new bar/club that opened. It was absolutely packed with people on both sides. So we settled on the bar on the parking lot side of Ruam Chok Plaza. Live music, absolutely packed (standing room only). We had a drink there and called it a night since it was so busy and nowhere to sit and talk.

All these 26 pages of "ghost town" stuff is nonsense. Only the downtown section of the old city popular with Chinese tourists is affected. And of course the Night Bazaar and other attractions in and out of town geared towards Chinese tourism. If you haven't seen the dozens upon dozens of tour buses all over the city with Thai tourists, then you haven't looked. Things are going quite well with the exception of a small percentage of people who rely solely on foreign tourism.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, elektrified said:

If you haven't seen the dozens upon dozens of tour buses all over the city with Thai tourists, then you haven't looked.

Could you post 36 photos of Thai tour buses in CM ?

Maybe by the end of the week ? 

A Saturday night out is hardly indictive of the daily situation in a city ,