Apirat opens professionally run Army-owned hotel as part of reforms

rooster59

Take over, maybe now for submarine watching???????? They have had this for years which also have been open to public and longtime rent https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g297922-d2142407-Reviews-Suanson_Pradipat_Resort-Hua_Hin_Prachuap_Khiri_Khan_Province.html

This one  https://www.seapinerecreationcentre.com/ 500m away from the one above was at least until last year open for the general public.

Edited by Felt 35

The army has it's own bank too. Not to mention drug-running. All worldwide governments are corrupt one way or another. CIA drug running too, Russia meddling in our election? please! the US has rigged elections around the world, probably the UK has done the same. They just don't try to hide it here, or they just aren't good at hiding it. Lobbyist, bribes, what is the difference? Campaign contributions, bribes, what is the difference? Democracy is an illusion, at least fascism is honest and in your face.

The best we can hope for is a benevolent dictator or king. Money rules the world, whether in capitalist or communist countries. 

• Thanks 1

This is hardly new, 16 years ago I stayed in a hotel in Khaosan road owned by an army colonel. Next door was a currency exchange kiosk run by the military bank. They also operate TV stations, sports stadiums, golf clubs, hospitals and indirectly money lending, lottery, and God knows what else. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Or many other irrelevant things.

Why do they own TV stations for example? I go to an army run hospital.

There's just no need for the large military in Thailand.

Yes there is in inverted comma's, my wife's nephew was conscripted in April, he is now sitting at home with no military wages and not allowed to take an 'official job' as he is still on the books for Army wages and food allowances. Guess who are picking up his wages and allowances and there are hundreds of guys in his unit the same.  

"the standard" ?

there is a standard somewhere ? I never realize it (but i look carefully).

So... they have electricity at least 230V mono-phased at 50 Hz (really 230V in charged upper than just 1KW ?) everyday and at all time ? With a real efficient 100 ohms ground system wired ? and safety cut 30mA on leakage current ?

Wow... they did change all the lines and link them correctly ? It is very new and should cost a lot, where did they find people able to do this job correctly ?

In 8 month seems to have a lot of things changed... i'm really impressed.

good... very good...

Edited by jerolamo

On 8/30/2020 at 6:13 AM, colinneil said:

The army should stick to soldiering, they have no business being involved in hotels.

Judging by their soldiering Id  say they have no business being involved with that either

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Well they need a comfortable place a shore to house the submariners when their new submarine berths. 
Good to see the armed forces planning ahead.

I just worry who's head it is, and what they might be planning to do with it.

The army should stick to soldiering, they have no business being involved in hotels.

but they need.....like they need new subs.....and the 600 trucks from india......or was it bacup where they were gerrin them from??........or ramsbottom???

They come with lancashire hotpot.....and gravy !!!

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, dodgybros said:

Correct, the Australian Defence Force owns several resorts and caravan parks.

When was the last time the Australian Defence Force overthrow the democratically elected government before allocating itself the budget for such projects? 

I swam in this Thai Army's hotel pool with my Thai friends many years ago. I was ordered out of the pool for not wearing an appropriate swimsuit. I was wearing normal swimming shorts. They wanted the Jockey? nut crusher style. One of my Thai female friends was told to remove her bikini and wear a one piece swimsuit! Not there in front of the onlookers I might add. I wonder if these restrictions will remain or adapt to the twenty first century? What does the army even have a hotel? 

On 8/30/2020 at 5:02 AM, rooster59 said:

Army chief General Apirat Kongsompong presided over a ceremony to open Seapine Recreation Centre in Prachuap Khiri Khan province after appointing a professional management team to run the hotel on Friday

The Army has appointed a group of personnel with expertise in hotel management to run the hotel under the supervision of the Army Welfare Investigation Committee to make sure that military personnel and their families will continue to receive privileges to use the services.

Because the Air Force's appointment of management personnel at Thai Airways worked so well. (It did ensure their continued priviledges when using the airline, however.)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I swam in this Thai Army's hotel pool with my Thai friends many years ago. I was ordered out of the pool for not wearing an appropriate swimsuit. I was wearing normal swimming shorts. They wanted the Jockey? nut crusher style. One of my Thai female friends was told to remove her bikini and wear a one piece swimsuit! Not there in front of the onlookers I might add. I wonder if these restrictions will remain or adapt to the twenty first century? What does the army even have a hotel? 

You were lucky you weren't ordered to do fifty push-ups - at the deep end.

But unfortunately they have no experience whatever of real soldiering.  The average Thai general does not realise that the military exists outside of the officers club.  I would pay good money to see the current top Generals attempt at a battle fitness test.

• Like 2

Or golf courses or POLITICS for that matter. The main function of a countries armed forces is to deter invaders and if thought necessary to fight a war against a foreign power, not against its own people

• Like 2