Expert rings alarm bells over Covid-19 spreading in neighbouring countries

rooster59

Are large numbers of construction workers etc. legally (and illegally) currently entering from Burma? I stated that to my Thai gf yesterday and she claimed not to have heard of it; and I realize I haven't seen any recent reports.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Enzian said:

Are large numbers of construction workers etc. legally (and illegally) currently entering from Burma? I stated that to my Thai gf yesterday and she claimed not to have heard of it; and I realize I haven't seen any recent reports.

Has your Thai gf heard anything about Cambodian workers coming in from Cambodia ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Has your Thai gf heard anything about Cambodian workers coming in from Cambodia ?

I'm not saying her views are important, I'm just saying I watch the news too much and the specifics of this issue seem to have dropped out recently to my knowledge, and does anyone have anything?

I only know in my area close to Cambodia, local fruit growers that I spoke to in July thought that they would be able to rehire their Cambodian labour from August 1. However once they saw the monetary and other requirements including only the border crossing at Arranya Prathet (inconvenient to here) they have it seems decided not to proceed as I haven't seen any apart from a few that have been here all along.

• Like 1

I guess we have Burma, Laos and Cambodia as immediate neighbours....all countries with the right political slant and perfect records of human rights violations. What could possibly go wrong ion we open our borders to these wonderful countries?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Was reading that Indian slums were faring rather well.  

Washing hands and wearing a mask is all good advice, but what all these esteemed medicos leave out is building your immune system is key.  Garlic and essential oils help along with a plant based diet.  Healthy bodies are no fun to doctors, big government and big pharma.   

Apparently, COVID can be spread by 'fecal plume' (indeed look it up). Indian slum dwellers are supposed to poo in the street (due to an absence of toilets) and would make a great tourist target if we paid for their flights over here.

When was the last time a COVID infection was detected at a land immigration crossing? Or rather reported?

does this mean there is no infection within adjoining country's labour forces for people crossing Thailand's borders?

What preventative/detection methods are being used on the labourers?

IMO, without addressing the above issues, setting up pilot schemes to get tourist numbers back doesn't mean a thing towards the well-being of the Thai population; the tourist entry procedures will become focal in the media, while the crossing of labourers from neighbouring countries (constituting a much larger threat as they spread throughout the country practically unhindered) will just happen anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RR2020 said:

The boot swings to the other foot now............. Sweden - no lockdown - doing very well now - minimal new cases.   UK - late lockdown - doing very well now - not many new cases.   France - severe lockdown - suffering badly with 700% more cases than UK.

Again proving the point, countries that remained open and still remain open, like the UK and Sweden, are doing fine now.

Countries that locked down are scared to death now.........and will suffer massive economic issues ahead.

Wait until Covid gets into birds........and spreads by bird droppings...........cannot stop it then..........  

Lockdown was stupid, it was a big error locking up 99.9% of healthy people to try to save 0.1% of old and sick people.  Dumb dumb dumb.

It seemed to work very well in other countries ????

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

"So far, Covid-19 has come to Thailand from people travelling by airplane, but soon it will spread from people travelling through the borders," he said.

Is T.A.T Phuket listening?

For years there have been illegal border crossings from Myanmar and Laos into Thailand. Many of the illegals have got lowly paid jobs in Thailand. The crossings take place at night across rivers and forests. I know this from a guy I once knew, he and his wife hired a nanny from Myanmar for years on end for some ridiculous pay. At the time, if caught by immigration, these illegals would pay a fine of 500 baht or something similar and would then be returned to their old country. From what they told me, this practice was widespread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Deli said:

The weekly Clown has had his pic shown again. All good for another 7 days

This joker is a government shill.  They trot him out to spout his nonsense and stick him back in his hole next time the need an “expert”.  Is he an epidemiologist ... no.  So he is not an expert on the subject after all.