What's happened to all the Frogs ?

worgeordie

Just now, Peter Denis said:

Most of them already returned to their home-country. ????

Bravery award goes to ..........

edit: Quick Peter, edit, we need you for the Visa advice. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Here in Buriram, there does not seem to have been a drop in the population of frogs. This said, we recently adopted a young cat, who goes around the garden catching all sorts of critter, so that frogs might avoid the place from now on, but they still seem to be present outside of the walls.

On the other hand, despite plenty of heavy rain, there has been no swarm of alates yet. Actual grown-up termites are still alive and well, though, and need to be fought vigorously. Ants of all sorts, and bees, are also present. Not sure how their present activity compare to "normal", but there does not seem to be any sign of collapse of the insect populations.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

There's been a few our village, usually have loads in August but because of C19 and Thai govt is not letting them in.

Cracked it !

Wait til they all get out of quarantine. Will be bedlam. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Haha 2

In my part of East Pattaya the frog chorus is no different to past years. Quite a relaxing sound to head off to sleep with, once you get used to it.

As for the pre-rainfall swarms, yes, a noticeable reduction in that activity. Previous years there was a rush to close off the windows / doors when they started heading towards any internal light source. This year, very few occasions of that happening. 

Slightly off topic but on the very few occasions I have driven long distances in the UK in the recent past (last 10 years or so) there was very little, if any, insect splatter, either on windscreen or front body work. Going back 45 years or so, I used to travel a lot from W/Central  Scotland to Leicester / Nottingham and a thorough cleanup was always needed after any trip. More traffic to spread the load, or fewer insects for some reason?

9 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

Here in Buriram

Just had a walk inside one of our rice paddies, not even sinking away. Grass and ants rule it. Nobody has even topped or thrown fertilizer yet. There is no sign of the monsoon rains here. You can still cross the Surin Province border river by foot, it's been like that since before April. Dry! I am dying to catch a river Barb!

No Frogs, No Crabs, No terrapins in my pond, just dragonflies ominously hanging over the buffalo dung that float around.

We are just 30km east from Buriram. May I borrow some water?

• Like 1