For how much longer do we have to wear masks in supermarkets for?

Keyser Soze666

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

Try visiting Soi Buakhao. In LK metro bar zone only people I saw with masks were a few servers at the craft beer place in the corner. Most restaurants outside malls don't seem to bother with any measures anymore.

I never claimed that they did. I'm talking about ordinary Thais going about their daily business, shopping, visiting the market etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

So as I suspected no one knows.

MODS - Pls closed thread.

You see what you did! So many postings. Obviously an interesting topic and you want to close it! In respect of how much longer... I would suggest you write an open letter to the prime minister. In the meantime he is used to get them from Farangs. And at this occasion don't forget to add the topic 90 days reporting, TM30 and, and, and... ????

25 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

You're imagining things. Before covid no one wore a mask except for a few weeks in Bangkok as a result of the pollution last October. In Vietnam - yes, masks have long been a fashion accessory stretching back years, for scooter riders. Well technically to protect against pollution of course, but you know what I mean. 

It's also been a fashion accessory in the west for quite a while.

1mufm8.jpg

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Again I doubt that. Vietnam has demonstrated that (back in May), and so has China. 

Many world leaders have stated it, but I can assure you once the emergency decree goes, so do mask mandates. And the vaccine is far from guaranteed. 

I hope you're right and I would love to be wrong.

But I think they will retain temperature and mask rules in Thailand until the vaccine comes. Just to pretend they're careful and circumspect.

But I hope you're right.

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

A covid vaccine will be similar to the flu vaccine, once a year booster jab. End of 2021 they are saying now after successful trials and no I wouldn't have one unless thoroughly tested.

AstraZeneca, along with US company Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech which are also developing a coronavirus vaccine, have said they could have data by October to secure approval from US regulators for emergency use of their respective products.

Last week, scientists raised hopes that trials of the Oxford vaccine could have gathered enough data to show whether it works and is safe by the end of the year, before being submitted to UK regulators for approval.

China already giving its vaccine to health workers, and Russia gearing up for production.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/01/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-trials-oxford-biomedica-coronavirus

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

I know most western is not anti masker, anti vaxxer, statue fighting, conspiracy loon. Is about 1 per 6 is covIDIOT. 

Feel like 1 per 3 TVF. 

I not understand why the 5 per 6 allow the covidiots behave that= you can not control covid. 

I want Thankyou all the wonderful expat follow rules and help Thailand be number 1 the world control covid.

Ok.

fact. Most covid death is from western countrys refuse the rule. 

Because the 1 per 6. 

Latest update information.

4086A0B0-F0E4-4724-8A71-AC9414B73E7A.jpeg

Yinn, exactly this table is what I meant when I asked you to better look for current situation and not for what happened 6 month ago! Try to read such a table with more common sense, please!

You always refer to the total deaths, which is a summation of all deaths from February till today. Are you aware what really happened in March/April in Europe, and how the situation in Europe is today?

In March and April, it was still winter time in Europe, and in Wuhan and Korea also. This is something you don't have in Thailand. It was cold outside, the windows were closed, and this lead to a high concentration of contaminated aerosoles in the air inside. In Thailand, it is always hot, so the windows are either open, or an AC is running which always dries the air and hence reduces the concentration of the aerosoles. Thailand was lucky for having different climatic conditions to Europe, and for the fact that this virus is mainly transmitted by aerosoles rather than smear infection, which the scientists did not know yet during these months.

Almost all European countries had fatalties in the 100s or even 1000s during this time around March and April, which was a disaster. But today, if you look at the red column, almost all European countries are in the low 2-digit or 1-digit range. Which is, by the way, much lower than the fatality rate in Thai traffic! Are you afraid to leave your house because you are scared to die in traffic? 

Next point is the database of the daily new cases, again the red column. If a country tests 1 million people per week and publishes the results openly and transparently, of course the number become higher. Many asymptomatic cases are tested now in Europe.

So, at least you should admit that Europe has other climatic conditions, that the research on the virus and its treatment became much better during the recent months only, and that Europe today has the situation well (yes very well!) under control now due to testing and strict but sensible measures.

Let's compare that with Thailand:

Of course Thailand has the Covid-crises good under control, I agree on that, and I explained above why. But honestly, do you really trust the official Thai numbers??? I mean, you know your government and how they cover the truths. I have never met any Thai who said he trusts this government. Never! Are you really that different? Do you really believe your government that the Thai data, based on quite a low testing rate and the censoring of the government, are as honest and transparent as the European numbers? Are you sure the Thai numbers today are really better than the UK (3 deaths), Italy (8 deaths) or Germany (here 10 deaths, more accurate 4 deaths on September 2nd)? Are you sure there is no political aganda behind the data published by the government?

As Thailand performs very well (see the reasons above), of course also the new cases and the daily deaths are very little. So, of course there is no problem in the hospitals, in the crematories, and also not in the social media. The handful of deaths per day will be classified as everything but Covid, also because there are no post mortem tests in Thailand.

Next point to mention regarding the table above: If at all you should refer not only to data of August only, instead of February till August, to get useful knowledge from this table about the situation now. But if you insist on the time interval between February till now, you at least should refer to the second-last and third-last columns instead of the 2. and 4. column. Are you aware that India with 1 billion people, the US with 300 million and Brazil with 200 million should be seen different to smaller countries?

I agree that India has problems with it slums, Brazil with its slums, with the vulnerability of its indigenious population and its crazy president, and the US with many Covidiots and Trump. But these are a few countries which still have bigger problems. Most countries have the situation under control quite well now. 

So please quote such tables a little bit more sensible! Otherwise most TV members understand this as an insult on their intelligence. At least this is what I feel when I see you using these tables without a sensible reflection. Thank you.

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

In the darkside the very ordinary residents don't seem to bother with masks at all. Where exactly are you observing, beach road?

The darkside - great location name. When people from the West ask me where I live it is bad enough for many if I say Pattaya. And now I imagine that I have to say I live in the dark side of Pattaya...

7 hours ago, Oldie said:

There is a reason that there are no new cases and we should not start here like in Europe or in the US. I don't have a problem with the mask. I have more problems if people think they are above the law and don't use them. 

Maybe some people would be happier if there was a  big surge  in COVID cases and they had a clearer picture as to why they must wear masks.

18 minutes ago, Oldie said:

The darkside - great location name. When people from the West ask me where I live it is bad enough for many if I say Pattaya. And now I imagine that I have to say I live in the dark side of Pattaya...

bd1.jpg

Alas, this is the retirement side for mongers that found their sweetie. The "normal" Thais without masks roam free here.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, JimGant said:

Yeah, that's what New Zealand thought. Have they figured out how that domestic case sprang up? And was the mask rule still in effect when that was discovered? Just curious, as I haven't seen much about this lately on the news. (Presumably some lessons to be learned applicable to Thailand, assuming  the Kiwis can unravel what happened.)

Total panic mongering nonsense. NZ has 1757 total cases, over 1,600 of whom have recovered, and only 22 deaths. You could have picked far better examples. 

My guess would be that the total percent of expats and Thais who are advocating a continued lockdown, who do not have a cushy pension or a nice salary with benefits, is less than 2%. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

AstraZeneca, along with US company Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech which are also developing a coronavirus vaccine, have said they could have data by October to secure approval from US regulators for emergency use of their respective products.

Last week, scientists raised hopes that trials of the Oxford vaccine could have gathered enough data to show whether it works and is safe by the end of the year, before being submitted to UK regulators for approval.

China already giving its vaccine to health workers, and Russia gearing up for production.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/sep/01/astrazeneca-covid-19-vaccine-trials-oxford-biomedica-coronavirus

Rushed vaccines don't fill me with confidence and it certainly plays into the conspiracy theorists agenda. Tbh I'm not even seeing a need for a quick vaccine at present. I know one person who has had it and he caught it from his wife who worked in a care home, a covid positive person coughed in her face. Both were fine after a week, this happened in April.

Just now, tribalfusion001 said:

Rushed vaccines don't fill me with confidence and it certainly plays into the conspiracy theorists agenda. Tbh I'm not even seeing a need for a quick vaccine at present. I know one person who has had it and he caught it from his wife who worked in a care home, a covid positive person coughed in her face. Both were fine after a week, this happened in April.

It will almost certainly be a pre req for entering Thailand once they stop the paranoia. That’s the only reason I can see for it. Even then I can wait. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

It will almost certainly be a pre req for entering Thailand once they stop the paranoia. That’s the only reason I can see for it. Even then I can wait. 

I wouldn't be surprised if you needed to test positive for antibodies a few weeks after you've had the vaccine.

2 hours ago, Oldie said:

Ooohhh, yea, that's just sooo edgy!!! Do they all think you are a mastermind criminal??

• Like 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I get it, in Europe and the US. I do. But here? No new cases in 90 days and people are still buying into the apocalypse? What is the point of masks, at this stage? What is there to spread? Any remaining cases were gone long ago. Sanity and rationale, please. 

Your logic is the reason why Europe has seen a rebound of cases. The infections dropped and too many people assumed they did not have to be prudent.

Your argument is played out daily with the mentally ill, particularly those  with depression, schizophrenia and other mood disorders. Their symptoms go away, they feel better and then they stop taking their meds.  Know what happens then? Tbhey go back to their mental illness manifestations.

Widespread infections  are not evident in thailand because  the locals have some basic prevention measures in place. Because some misguided arrogant foriegners demand these measures be abandoned does not mean the measures are improper.

9 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

So as I suspected no one knows.

MODS - Pls closed thread.

Public health  has provided guidance that mask wearing will continue until there is minimal likelihood of transmission. The masks are helping to suppress the infection rate.  Influenza season will start in November. Mask use will be recommended until the end of that season in April. Expect 6 month minimum.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Total panic mongering nonsense. NZ has 1757 total cases, over 1,600 of whom have recovered, and only 22 deaths. You could have picked far better examples. 

My guess would be that the total percent of expats and Thais who are advocating a continued lockdown, who do not have a cushy pension or a nice salary with benefits, is less than 2%. 

No one is advocating a "continued lockdown". Intelligent people who understand human behavior, and the basics of infectious disease  support continued enhanced hygiene measures, social distancing and other low cost/low tech methods that have significant positive impact. Wearing a mask in a public place is not an onerous imposition despite the hysterical and emotional claims to the contrary.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

I won't bother in that case, I'm sure other places will open up, the desperation for tourist money will come in the next few months.

16 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

What a load of complete poo, infections rising from increasing testing and deaths not increasing. It's been over for months in Europe and most of the low hanging fruit have been picked.

That's what they thought in 1890 and 1919

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

Widespread infections  are not evident in thailand because  the locals have some basic prevention measures in place. 

Public health  has provided guidance that mask wearing will continue until there is minimal likelihood of transmission. The masks are helping to suppress the infection rate.  Influenza season will start in November. Mask use will be recommended until the end of that season in April. Expect 6 month minimum.

No one is advocating a "continued lockdown". Intelligent people who understand human behavior, and the basics of infectious disease  support continued enhanced hygiene measures, social distancing and other low cost/low tech methods that have significant positive impact. Wearing a mask in a public place is not an onerous imposition despite the hysterical and emotional claims to the contrary.

Good and sensible post geriatrickid! Like to commend on the following points:

"Widespread infections  are not evident in thailand...."

This implies that there are still infections in Thailand and the virus is still there. This does absolutely make sense and is simply logic. I mean, Thailand isn't Turkmensitan or North Korea, which have really zero cases, isn't it? (sarcasm mode off ????)

Knowing the very special honesty of the government and the validity of governmental numbers, it makes sense to wear a mask inside buildings when together with others, even after the claim that for 100 days there was no new case.

"...because  the locals have some basic prevention measures in place."

Agree, regarding wai etc. But I also like to note that it is indeed especially the climate IMO, as the virus is transported by aerosoles. The hot climate here forces people either to open the windows when there is no AC (leading to a reduction of the contaminated aerosoles in the air if an infected person is in the room), or forces the people to switch on the AC (also leading to a reduction of aerosoles, as at the condensor of every AC humidity condensates and hence aerosoles are removed from the air). I wonder why there seems to be no study on the latter one yet, as from the point of physics it is absolutely logic.

"The masks are helping to suppress the infection rate."

Agree absolutely. This relatively little inconvenience when inside in a room with others is absolutely reasonable and can be expected from responsible and intelligent people, as long the virus is a danger for the health. It is ridiculous to force people to wear masks on the beach or well ventilated places outside, however.

"No one is advocating a 'continued lockdown'..."

But this is what the government still partly does. But, we all know, it is more for political reasons. It's clear that the generals do not really care about the health of ther underlings.

"Intelligent people who understand human behavior, and the basics of infectious disease support continued enhanced hygiene measures, social distancing and other low cost/low tech methods that have significant positive impact. Wearing a mask in a public place is not an onerous imposition"

Very well said!

Edited by Flying Saucage
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

What a load of complete poo, infections rising from increasing testing and deaths not increasing. It's been over for months in Europe and most of the low hanging fruit have been picked.

Agree for that point, about more testing and picking of low hanging fruits, but don't agree about the expression "complete poo". There were other very good points in the post of geriatrickid!

16 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Different world in 2020 though. If the younger ones who getting infected now were ending up in hospital, then there might be a problem, but they are not.

That doesn't matter, it's a different virus too.

The point is, everyone knew the virus had gone in prior pandemics, right up until the point when it quite unexpectedly came back again, and again over the following years.

12 minutes ago, ukrules said:

That doesn't matter, it's a different virus too.

The point is, everyone knew the virus had gone in prior pandemics, right up until the point when it quite unexpectedly came back again, and again over the following years.

We will see, but I'm not convinced about this pandemic, it's very hard to find anyone I know who has had it (officially). I know of one person in the UK and no one in Thailand.