For how much longer do we have to wear masks in supermarkets for?

Keyser Soze666

3 hours ago, Yinn said:

The farang like to say how thailand should control covid. But 200,000 new infection in farang country everyday.

Thailand would be stupid follow that.

What is "the farang" and "farang country"? Please stop the blatant racist stuff. Not all people and countries are the same.

Apart from that I also think that a lot of countries are handling the pandemic totally wrong. I think people demonstrating against masks and vaccines are complete idiots and dangerous to the society at large. I absolutely don't get how during these extraordinary times with hundreds of thousands dying the slight inconvenience of wearing a mask at certain times is such an issue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Your avatar perfectly describes the type of person you are Mr. Pol Pot.

I've been to several parts of Thailand recently and from my own observations, things are as I've stated. There was a lot of fear and panic early on, much less now. Granted they're ramping it up again in border provinces near Myanmar. 

Name those places where very few Thais are wearing masks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Just now, tribalfusion001 said:

Masks are for wimps, same as hand sanitizer and the fools who don't want to touch anything because someone else has touched before them.

The one's who drive around in a car on their own with a mask on need to be put down.

I take it that you are a non mask wearing fearless macho kind of guy ?

3 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I went to a "Seven" in Pattaya today and for the first time, I wan't shot with a temperature gun nor squirted with alcohol gel...has the dam begun to break or is this one store off the reservation?

In Bangkok they haven't been doing temperature checks at 7-11 for a couple of months now.

• Like 2

i want to leave planet earth so bad. does anyone have any ideas on where a guy can go to get away from all of this madness. my future is gone because of this insane nonsense that is going on. 

time to let her rip i'm afraid. those of you who are elderly, weak, have existing conditions or have just weak DNA... you should prepare for all possibilities.

i want a future back !

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

7 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Masks are for wimps, same as hand sanitizer and the fools who don't want to touch anything because someone else has touched before them.

The one's who drive around in a car on their own with a mask on need to be put down.

I take it that you are a non mask wearing fearless macho kind of guy ?

Keyboard warrior, probably as meek as mouse...a proper ThaiVisa.com Ronnie Pickering !!!! 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Some people always wear masks , because of the pollution 

A lot of girls always wore masks on scooters to protect their faces from the sun. It hasn't been much of atransition here for Thais to wear masks all the time. Its now become a serious fashion accessory. You can't just wear a mask it has to be a statement mask.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, polpott said:
14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Pretty much anywhere outside of a shopping mall, 7-11, supermarket, a school or hospital.... 

Not so in Pattaya.

I was in Pattaya a few weeks ago... 

Only wore a mask in Terminal 21 & hotel lobby. 
No one in the restaurants wore a mask, or walking the streets. 
No one on the beachfront in Pattaya or Jomtien. 

Same as Bkk... people are wearing masks inside shops, schools, hospitals or BTS. 

Maybe also lifts etc to the offices. 

9 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

the whole spy app thing is getting old also ... did they EVER use it after an oubreak ?

Not an app, link to a website. Didn't exist when Covid was active in Thailand. Was mandatory for the short period when lockdown was being relaxed. Now it still is displayed outside restaurants, shopping malls etc. but hardly anyone using it.

26 minutes ago, polpott said:

Not so in Pattaya.

i live in pattaya myself, and you either dont know what you are talking about, or lying.

furthermore some of them dont bother to wear them in malls either (or rather,

have pull the mask down to the throat)

Edited by scammed
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I agree 100% that masks reduce the chance of infecting or being infected. But there's no chance (ok maybe 0.00001% if one runs into a quarantine escapee) of either in a country with 0 cases in 100 days.

Therefore, I don't wear a mask on the street, put one on to get into a mall, take it off again once I am past security, certainly am maskless drinking coffee and then put in on again to enter the supermarket because it's the rule there. And I see others doing pretty much the same.

Wearing a mask all the time is neither normal nor healthy. But if you are in the middle of pandemic it's a necessity. Which is not the case in this country. So there's no point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

Highly doubtful.

In Vietnam they were very strict about it from March to May, but then the masks came off pretty much across the board. The PM even said that they're no longer needed by school students a week into the restart of school. Until they were re-imposed on July 25 in Danang and days later much of the rest of the country, as a result of the "second wave" that started there. The second wave is dying down now, but I suspect masks will continue to be enforced for a little longer, perhaps a month or two. They're getting stricter in Myanmar now (masks first became mandatory in May, but even Yangon buses had inconsistent enforcement until recently) as a result of their second wave, which is taking place now. I think in one month from now their second wave will die down and enforcement will start to taper off. 

As for Thailand and other countries in general, the masks will come off when the money from the IMF/WEF/WHO runs out. That's the only reason the country is able to impose/enforce them in the first place. 

If I were to take a stab at it, my guess would be max. 2-3 more months of mask wearing before it's discontinued. Assuming we continue on the same re-opening trajectory, there is little reason to keep it going longer. Masks are even coming off in China now - they're still enforced to enter certain types of businesses in some regions, but no longer a general requirement whenever leaving your home as they were back in February-April or May.  

Therefore, why would Thailand be any different? China is a Communist country we're all told is really strict and all, and we all know Thailand is rather lax when it comes to enforcement of rules. Therefore I can't see masks still being required for much longer. 

Thanks for your detailed and interesting comments.

I hope you're right, but looking at South Korea I think we will not see the end of masks until a vaccine is widely in use, which at the earliest would be 8 to 12 months from now.

The reason is that in Asia the mask, temperature taking and all the other useless nonsense is seen as "sensible" precaution which is not onerous. So as long as people are afraid of another outbreak, and Thais are very afraid of an outbreak or at least those in power and epidemiologists, those in power will continue to demand the use of masks.

Of course you already see Thais even INSIDE shopping malls taking off the masks, because let's face it nobody checks except at the doors, and clearly everyday Thai people are also tiring of the mask nonsense. But not all. There are still the overly concerned snowflakes for whom the mask is like a religious ornament they believe in with all their might.

• Like 1

The chances are catching covid-19 in the UK are 44 out of 1 million, pretty safe odds I would say and I know a lot about bookmakers odds. No point in wearing a mask unless you are in a hotspot and how do you know you are in a hotspot, lots of testing, something Thailand doesn't bother with.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12557446/chance-catching-covid-44-in-million/

• Like 2
  • Sad 1