UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

snoop1130

1 minute ago, robblok said:

People seem to think the EU has a lot of influence, its mainly about trade and stuff. So they would be largely independent more so as now. Its stupid of any country (England included) to try to do it on your own when most trade blocks are more powerful then you.

So its only logical that the Scots and Irish would go for the EU.

A laugh a minute here today.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

That is what you think they become more independent as they cut out the English. They are in the EU already so that does not change. They will get more power. I really hope they get a vote. They deserve to make their choice. 

Um..who's  in the EU already?

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

As far as I am aware there has been no decisions of that nature by either devolved nation since Westminster decided to change the status of the UK, so maybe you can provide some support for that assertion.

A referendum in Scotland and the same in Northern Ireland. 

15 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Not at all - the majority of Scots voted to leave the UK. However the franchise was extended to non Scots born people also, and they tipped the balance. So Scots have, since at least 2014, not wanted to be in a union with the rest of the UK. I think there can be few impartial observers who would blame us.

Would it be a fair to say that when the Scots had the 2014 referendum that you were also voting to leave the EU. 

Since when has the SNP and its followers been impartial, never mind any observers.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

I want the Scots to have a new choice now the situation has changed immensely. Not sure why people can't see the difference. Probably because they worry that the UK will splinter and have even less influence.

Its the Hight of hypocrisy that after such a major change the Scots don't get a new say.  Its like buying a car with certain specs and all of a sudden they put in a different engine (worse) and expect you to still buy the car. That is not how it works in the real world. 

Yet the Scots were happy enough to vote to leave the UK which would have entailed leaving the EU, would it not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

Would it be a fair to say that when the Scots had the 2014 referendum that you were also voting to leave the EU. 

I would liken it to invasive surgery - the incision is necessary to resolve the internal issue, but the incision will heal in time. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I would liken it to invasive surgery - the incision is necessary to resolve the internal issue, but the incision will heal in time. 

I think you have a mild case of obfuscation there RR. In reality it was more important to you to leave the UK/English than to remain in an institution that you love so dearly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rott said:

Your fellow traveller Mr Rookiescot thinks an Englishman should not have a say here, so why are you still sticking your oar in. 

Why not, I can have an opinion. But voting wise it should only be Scots of course who vote. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, vogie said:

But that is not strictly true now is it, a Scot can be working and living in England, or anywhere else for that matter and he is not allowed to vote on the future of his country. Whereas an alien just moved into Scotland is allowed to vote on something that they probably know very little about.

Details need to be worked out of course, but as long as they get a vote its ok. I would say that Scots that work in the UK would vote against it (would make things harder for them).

But one should IMHO only those in Scotland who are Scottish have a vote. Immigrants can only vote if they have a passport of the country they live in ? I mean in my country only people with a Dutch passport can vote. I am not sure how it would work. There must be some way to make sure its just Scots that can vote. Aliens that are not naturalized should not be able to vote. 

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

Details need to be worked out of course, but as long as they get a vote its ok. I would say that Scots that work in the UK would vote against it (would make things harder for them).

But one should IMHO only those in Scotland who are Scottish have a vote. Immigrants can only vote if they have a passport of the country they live in ? I mean in my country only people with a Dutch passport can vote. I am not sure how it would work. There must be some way to make sure its just Scots that can vote. Aliens that are not naturalized should not be able to vote. 

Those were not the rules in the last referendum. Anyone who had been resident in Scotland for 6 months prior to the vote had the right to.

It did not matter if they were immigrants from England or anywhere else.

For consistency I think the rules for the next one should be the same as the last. Including the question asked on the ballot paper.

43 minutes ago, vogie said:

But that is not strictly true now is it, a Scot can be working and living in England, or anywhere else for that matter and he is not allowed to vote on the future of his country. Whereas an alien just moved into Scotland is allowed to vote on something that they probably know very little about.

Vogie, Am I correct in assuming that you think that overseas Scots should be allowed to vote in any forthcoming referendum on Scottish independence?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Well do you think it is fair that a Scot living just over the border in England is not allowed a say on the future of his country, and of course it would "make it harder for them" that's why the SNP have done it, they do not like fairness.

And lowering the voting age to 16 was another disingenuous act from the SNP, and we all know how malleable the young are don't we, if there is going to be a game, let both sides have an equal opportunity and not have the dice stacked againgst the unionists before the kick off.

Screenshot_2020-10-16-15-45-42-571.jpeg

Oddly you fail to mention EU citizens who were resident in Scotland were also able to vote.

Now they all pretty much voted against independence because of the threat to EU membership.

How do you think they will vote next time?

• Like 1