UK minister surprised by Scottish independence referendum move

snoop1130

41 minutes ago, rott said:

Many loyalists I know are purely nominal Protestants. I think Thatcher would have been the same. 

What has that got to do with the fact that one can be a Unionist without being a Loyalists?

There is a subtle distinction between Unionist and Loyalist which is often missed and overlooked.

There are many Catholic Unionists, but I doubt that many would consider themselves Loyalists as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rookiescot said:

Lets face it. Immigration was the reason you and most others voted for Brexit.

What you did with your curried goat post was let everyone know it.

At least Loiner is up front and honest about it.

Struck a nerve did it? Merely trying to mark your card about what will happen when you throw your lot in with barnier,as stated before couldn't give a monkeys about what Scotland does only worried about England,  you seem quite happy that the SNP are having talks with the eu before you have even had a vote weakening the uks position,showed your true colours there.well good 

Luck with the election.and hope the bottle dosnt go like last time.

Ve

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Struck a nerve did it? Merely trying to mark your card about what will happen when you throw your lot in with barnier

Please explain why an independent Scotland joining the EU means the population will be force fed curried goat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

What has that got to do with the fact that one can be a Unionist without being a Loyalists?

There is a subtle distinction between Unionist and Loyalist which is often missed and overlooked.

There are many Catholic Unionists, but I doubt that many would consider themselves Loyalists as well.

And where do you come by this information that there are "many" RC Unionists.? 

"Some" I would agree with, as there are some Protestants who favour a 32 county Republic. 

Your definition of Loyalist is not a broadly accepted one, if in fact there is a broadly accepted one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingdong said:

Struck a nerve did it? Merely trying to mark your card about what will happen when you throw your lot in with barnier,as stated before couldn't give a monkeys about what Scotland does only worried about England,  you seem quite happy that the SNP are having talks with the eu before you have even had a vote weakening the uks position,showed your true colours there.well good 

Luck with the election.and hope the bottle dosnt go like last time.

Ve

Struck a nerve? You wish.

What Scotland does or does not do after independence will not be a concern to you.

As for weakening the UK's position? How could it get any weaker?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rott said:

And where do you come by this information that there are "many" RC Unionists.? 

"Some" I would agree with, as there are some Protestants who favour a 32 county Republic. 

Your definition of Loyalist is not a broadly accepted one, if in fact there is a broadly accepted one. 

You are from Liverpool.

Why do you care?

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

What has that got to do with my post?

I asked you who says they want an independent Scotland but Northern Ireland must remain in the UK?

Its a genuine question because I have never heard of anyone calling for that.

You have always supported Ulster being in the UK. 

Now stop being obtuse and just give an honest answer. 

3 minutes ago, rott said:

You have always supported Ulster being in the UK. 

Now stop being obtuse and just give an honest answer. 

Show me any evidence you have that I have ever supported Northern Ireland remaining in the UK.

Go on.

• Like 1

Show me any evidence you have that I have ever supported Northern Ireland remaining in the UK.

Go on.

What was the point of your mentioning in the first place that you are a Protestant and a Rangers Supporter then.? 

I do not have a verbatim quote but you were saying broadly that "despite this............".

So you are not Irish or Scottish but you feel the need to plague these threads with your unfounded accusations?

You are a troll.

No I just prefer having the UK the way it is, including Northern Ireland and Scotland. And I have many friends in both who also cherish the union. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Please explain why an independent Scotland joining the EU means the population will be force fed curried goat.

Who mentioned " force fed "? Can,t counter the point raised so you try to put words in someone's mouth,pathetic.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rott said:

No I just prefer having the UK the way it is, including Northern Ireland and Scotland. And I have many friends in both who also cherish the union. 

you won,t get me i,m part of the union.......link the strawbs youtube

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, rott said:

What was the point of your mentioning in the first place that you are a Protestant and a Rangers Supporter then.? 

I do not have a verbatim quote but you were saying broadly that "despite this............".

So no evidence to support your claim.

You just made it up.

Just because someone supports Rangers does not mean they are an Ulster Unionist.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Yes but when it comes to being stupid they are world class and deserve every penny.

Including that near 4000 pound pay rise they just voted for themselves. ????

You forgot to add... "Except the SNP ones"........????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

While there is no doubt that the incompetence and corruption exhibited by the current PM is certainly outraging sensibilities up and down the entire UK, in Scotland it has merely exemplified just how little we benefit from being in the union, and how we have the capacity and the capability to look after our own affairs. He is not so much turning people away from the union but allowing the Scottish Government to demonstrate that they can take the strain where Westminster fails. 

Self confidence has been lacking for a lot of Scots; there will always be the uber unionist who see the protection of the UK as being paramount, but there are many in the middle who are pragmatic and want what is best; the SG is showing that many of the concerns they held in 2014 are no longer valid. 

The Shetland islands is red herring devised to sow concerns in mainland Scots. The main architect of independence for the Shetlands is a man from Suffolk who moved north about 10 years ago. I am all for welcoming newcomers, but I don't think he is representative of the community at large. Still, it makes for exciting headlines for those who seek to prevent an independent Scotland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_"Captain_Calamity"_Hill

The problem with all referendums is that they over simplify what is usually a complex issue, ie, they are rather reductive and binary in nature.  To dismiss issues such as the probable loss of the islands as scaremongering is simply negligent- it's a real issue.  At best, whichever way a vote goes it is likely to be polarizing and contentious, and in time could pit Scots against Scots. These themes seem to be a pattern throughout the world at present.  There is no reason why an independent Scotland is not possible, sure, but things don't seem to be running too smoothly north of the border even now, which is largely the result of global conditions. Up til now, a point of unification is to blame the English.  What happens when that prop goes?

As I have said, I believe that sooner or later independence is something that is going to happen, but it's going to be a painful rebirth for sure, and for England too.  I suppose it's up to the Scots whether they want that pain now or later.  Personally, I see no sense in delay, yet one must prepare, and be under no illusions.