Many farang must leave their families, friends and Thailand

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Bear in mind that while there is no law against border runs, ME visas were not designed with the intention that they would be used in that manner; they are designed for people who make multiple separate trips here, with genuine gaps in between, and the "border run" approach is basically a loophole. 

So no reason for Immigration to view inability to do border runs as a legitimate problem; from their standpoint people living here full time should get annual extensions of stay.  "I can't afford to meet the financial requirement"  will get zero sympathy as the government does not want retirees here who lack the minimum required funds.

It saddens me to see you are perpetuating this myth.

Non O ME visas are meant for people who often travel to other countries. And, when these people fly back to their own countries to work, they earn salaries commensurate with that country's wages. Many of them are bringing much higher salary wages to be spent in Thailand. 

The "loophole" you are describing requires mind reading. Nobody knows, and it is nobody's business, why a person needs to go to Cambodia or Laos. Also, it is as if you are assuming there are no legitimate reasons for a person to cross into Cambodia, Laos or Myanmar. 

I do not think it is your place to say the Thais do not view inability to do border runs as a legit problem. They may very well have seen it as a big problem, but decided closing borders was much more important. 

The next time an unprecedented move like closing borders happens, it may be your visa type that is in dire peril. And hopefully, you will be lucky enough when you are being kicked out for no reason, not to have a bunch of exapts who supposedly who should be on your side telling you that the reason they are booting you is perfectly legitimate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, they give you the contract in writing which is signed by the both of you on an official document which logs their tax payment  details (Government tax) and exactly what they will provide 

Are you stupid? They are not going to put in writing that even if you don't fulfill the requirements, they'll get you an extension. Which is equivalent to certifying they'll help you break the law.

Sure, they'll give you a receipt and some general blah-blah about the services agreed to. But if it doesn't work out at the IO then you can blow your nose in that piece of paper for all it's worth.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Non O ME visas are meant for people who often travel to other countries.

Yes, and not people who have set up residence here. If you have, then get the appropriate visa: retirement, marriage, Elite. Otherwise, don't whine when you get caught out by a failure to get an ME in order to stay in your home here.

32 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Many of them are bringing much higher salary wages to be spent in Thailand. 

Nobody gives a rats what you make elsewhere. Follow the rules here. And if you are well-funded buy an Elite.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

If you are married, I would bet there are lots of countries in Asia that have no income requirement.  Philippines for one, I know has no income or proof of money requirement if you are married to a filipina.

I believe they require $20,000 US in the bank.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JackThompson said:
12 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

There's no such law, both Ubonjoe and Reter Denis confirmed in a recent thread that it doesn't exis, t!!!!

Show us the law if you think it does. 

It's been "2 months for first application" since they changed the rules - widely cited here over and over, including post-covid.  I don't read for a few days, and everything changed again? 

I'll repeat, There's no such law. 

Like you, I've also seen comments on here in the past saying they've only supplied two months of transfers but it's not part of any police order. If you think it is PLEASE  show us.

I might be wrong and just my opinion as to why some IO's have accepted this in the recent past. Firstly Thai Embassies in some countries were stopped from issuing twelve month non O visas and were limited to issuing 90 day non O's. Initially that wasn't a problem because people could obtain a home country Embassy letter to prove income. But when (for some nationalities) monthly transfers became the new rule, for those applying for an initial twelve extension using a 90 day non O, it was impossible to show twelve months of monthly transfers. Recognising this anomaly, some IO's accepted two monthly transfers (but it was never made law) while other IO's refused that option out of hand and insisted on the 400K money in the bank alternative. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Isn't divorce still illegal in the Philippines...the only way out is to obtain a church marriage annulment from the church on very specific grounds and this can take a year or more (especially if she fights it).

Are you what specific reasons mean for the Catholic church? That of not having consummated the marriage, translation, never having had sex with your wife LOL

10 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:
11 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is difficult to get a divorce from a Philippine lady, and recent law changes make it potentially very hazardous to try to abandon her.

Isn't divorce still illegal in the Philippines...the only way out is to obtain a church marriage annulment from the church on very specific grounds and this can take a year or more (especially if she fights it).

If you really want out, you could just leave phils and file for divorce in your home country.  You are probably correct that you wouldn't want to return to the Philippines though.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Don't expect sympathy from a lot of the bludgers on here, they have hearts of stone. "I'm alright Jack" is their motto. You'd expect support from your fellow farang, but many just seem to revel in your unhappiness. There's a core on here whose smug replies I've come to expect. It's why I very rarely as advice from the forum. Good luck to those with family here who're having difficulties, I genuinely hope you manage to get back in the near future.

No were not hard, we planned carefully and responsibly. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Before the virus hit us My non o mult was good, now it is no good.Why do there Embassy issue

these visas if they are no good now? The border were I live is only 50 ft from Thailand.The change

to a long term visa must have been on there minds for a long time.Thank You Covid-19 you changed

the world in many ways.

51 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Don't expect sympathy from a lot of the bludgers on here, they have hearts of stone. "I'm alright Jack" is their motto. You'd expect support from your fellow farang, but many just seem to revel in your unhappiness. There's a core on here whose smug replies I've come to expect. It's why I very rarely as advice from the forum. Good luck to those with family here who're having difficulties, I genuinely hope you manage to get back in the near future.

Well said @jesimps. I too have withdrawn from many debates on this forum for the very same reason.  I also have 2 pages of 'ignored members' that help keep many of these people out of my life.

And just for some of those arrogant members who, for one reason or another, think that living here on ME visas is somehow immoral or even illegal hear this.

There is at least one Immigration office in north east Issan that is telling such people not to worry. If the amnesty does end as scheduled and the borders are still not open, they will continue to grant them 60 day extensions until the borders are open.

That's how illegal immigration think it is!

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, john terry1001 said:

I'll repeat, There's no such law. 

Like you, I've also seen comments on here in the past saying they've only supplied two months of transfers but it's not part of any police order. If you think it is PLEASE  show us.

Immigration Bureau order 327/2557 (2014)

Section 2.22

(4) On the filing date, the applicant must have funds deposited in a bank in Thailand of no
less than Baht 800,000 for the past three months. For the first year only, the applicant must
have proof of a deposit account in which said amount of funds has been maintained for no
less than 60 days prior to the filing date:

Order 35/2561 (Jan 2019) then amended that section to the following.

(4) Al least 2 months prior to filing date, and at least 3 months after being granted permission, the alien must have fund deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than THB 800,000. The alien can withdraw the fund 3 months after being granted permission and the remaining balance must be no less than THB 400,000

19 hours ago, nightfox said:

Many guys in Thailand on a Non O multi based on marriage including me I would think have common sense to realize that time is ticking as they have to extend to permission of stay or leave Thailand. Many of those guys dont have the 400k and majority of IO wont accept the 40k 2 month income from abroad method.

That would mean using an fixer agent like I and many others did to secure your 12 month extension or leave Thailand. Many guys realize it will cost more to buy a ticket to leave Thailand and go back to your home country then pay the agent fee which is 25k+. 

All I can say the agents are doing a roaring trade these days.

Cambodia inter.

Soi buchao.

A friend told me.????

• Like 1

20 hours ago, luckyluke said:

A monthly income, for example, of 35000 is not enough for Immigration, but still a dream for many Thais.

Interestingly, 35,000 is more than enough to get a one year visa and a work permit to teach in a Thai school.  In fact, many are paid less than that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I do not think it is your place to say the Thais do not view inability to do border runs as a legit problem. They may very well have seen it as a big problem, but decided closing borders was much more important. 

Thailand didn't close it's land borders.

It was Myanmar, Lao, Cambodia, Malaysia, that closed it's borders to Thailand.

It's for that reason the Thai Cabinet announced an amnesty allowing those that would normally cross the borders to obtain new Visas or new entries, to stay in Thailand from March 26th.

Thailand has tried to negotiate local travel bubbles with the above Countries to no avail as yet.

As I understand the current situation the cabinet are now also considering 30 day extensions (1,900 baht) from Sept 26th until such time local borders reopen.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, johnray said:

I know a bunch of guys that don't have degrees, and yet they have full time jobs here as teachers making big money.  I would love to know what their visa status is.  One pothead described university as ''some strong sh*t'' and the other one is ''doing his degree online''.  Do they kidnap people or something.  How do they get away with this.  One muppet I knew started showing a traditional Thai culture booklet around the classroom and saying the women have nice breasts.  The same guy would randomly tell everyone to close the workbooks, say it is too boring and waste the lesson watching music videos.  What visa is that?

There is a foreigner teaching English in Thailand who openly admits on his YouTube channel that he is a former meth addict.

19 hours ago, tubby johnson said:

Those caught in limbo if the amnesty isn't extended will resort to visa agents. There's always a way out.

They need to be quick about it. I don't see the point of hanging on and twitching to see if you get another free month when you have the money to get it sorted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Cambodia inter.

Soi buchao.

A friend told me.????

That is for a retirement extension for people already on a Non Immigrant entry. Those under age 50 (but with Thai spouse or child) need the more expensive extension to stay with Thai family.

Another comment I would make is that you should not choose an agent purely based on price. Also, check their experience, how long they have been in business, what others say about them and so on.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

Interestingly, 35,000 is more than enough to get a one year visa and a work permit to teach in a Thai school.  In fact, many are paid less than that.

Didn't know that.

So many differences, one can argue. of course, if good or bad.

So, 35000 or 40000 or 65000 here, or 400/800000.

And like me ( Belgian ) " Retirement Visa " nothing to park in Thai bank, or no minimum transfer of 65000, if I don't want to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Totally agree. My friends from many countries around the world first don't believe me and then express their astonishment that Thai law prohibits a foreigner from living with his wife in Thailand, instead only giving permission to 'visit' her year after year. By contrast, my Thai sister-in-law has a five year visa to live in Hungary with her Dutch husband. No 90 day reports, no visit to the marital home by immigration, no financial demands etc. They are welcomed into the country to live peacefully and put their money into the local economy. And neither of them is even a Hungarian citizen! Such basic human rights do not exist in Thailand.

On condition only if you are not50 , as others youn ca stay with your wife whole year if liking ,having the 400K on bank (temporary )

But if no 50 than your post is correct 

Edited by david555
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Totally agree. My friends from many countries around the world first don't believe me and then express their astonishment that Thai law prohibits a foreigner from living with his wife in Thailand, instead only giving permission to 'visit' her year after year. By contrast, my Thai sister-in-law has a five year visa to live in Hungary with her Dutch husband. No 90 day reports, no visit to the marital home by immigration, no financial demands etc. They are welcomed into the country to live peacefully and put their money into the local economy. And neither of them is even a Hungarian citizen! Such basic human rights do not exist in Thailand.

There are avenues for a foreigner to get permanent residence to live with his Thai wife outside of the 1 year visa and annual extensions.

• Like 1