Many farang must leave their families, friends and Thailand

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

While there are flaws in your arguments what you point out is ultimately heart breaking and should garner a great deal of sympathy. 

This morning I watched a video of a father reunited with his children, arriving home after ASQ. It reminded me of how devastatingly torn apart I was when I couldn’t get home to my family. It reminded me of that day I was reunited with my Wife and Son.

I was one of the fortunate ones able to return to Thailand with a Non-Imm Type O Visa (based on marriage to a Thai) and secured a repatriation flight. But there is potentially a great many people slipping through the gaps, unable to get back to their families and loved ones and friends. 

This is devastating and more could be done to help people. The hard line and restrictions unnecessary. 

Was you wallowing up writing that? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Seik said:

Indeed. What is legal and what is not is a completely black and white matter. Something is either legal or it is illegal. There is no such thing as "basically illegal" or "pretty much illegal" or "sort of illegal". 

If truly there is a "loophole" in the law being exploited, there is nothing illegal to it, it is up to the lawmaker to make that behaviour illegal, until then it is as legal as anything else.

If it was legal, Thai Immigration would facilitate the extension of these stays in-country during this pandemic situation. The fact it looks like they won't shows you what they think of the practice.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Bear in mind that while there is no law against border runs, ME visas were not designed with the intention that they would be used in that manner; they are designed for people who make multiple separate trips here, with genuine gaps in between, and the "border run" approach is basically a loophole. 

So no reason for Immigration to view inability to do border runs as a legitimate problem; from their standpoint people living here full time should get annual extensions of stay.  "I can't afford to meet the financial requirement"  will get zero sympathy as the government does not want retirees here who lack the minimum required funds.

Not just retirees who lack funds but foreigners in general. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

If you are married, I would bet there are lots of countries in Asia that have no income requirement.  Philippines for one, I know has no income or proof of money requirement if you are married to a filipina.

That's true but could change in the future. I wouldn't guarantee they'll continue to be so generous indefinitely. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nout said:

Yes. Because plenty of people have more than the minimum monthly income requirement in terms of amount of money but not in the unreasonable form that IO requires.  Some people have multiple income streams not consistent with a regular monthly payment but often in excess of  it.

S

Here's sympathy for those who have been skating with minimal finances on thin ice playing with loopholes in visa requirements (which Immigration authorities has long been familiar with and even begun to make border checks and issued warnings about misuse and occasionally denying re-entry because of multiple misuse of the visa. You are now between the proverbial rock and hard place. 

There are indeed sources of income that might meet the monthly method requirement but accrue unevenly during a year, but some financial planning would, one would hope, lead to the necessary annual 400k rapidly enough. That amount is certainly not confiscatory.  If people do have trouble making this nut, then they had probably reassess marriage and family in Thailand.  Adding to that financial dilemma the new USD100k COVID-19 insurance requirement (another annual expense), I don't see how people can dodge this problem except to try hiding out in the loo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Bear in mind that while there is no law against border runs, ME visas were not designed with the intention that they would be used in that manner; they are designed for people who make multiple separate trips here, with genuine gaps in between, and the "border run" approach is basically a loophole. 

So no reason for Immigration to view inability to do border runs as a legitimate problem; from their standpoint people living here full time should get annual extensions of stay.  "I can't afford to meet the financial requirement"  will get zero sympathy as the government does not want retirees here who lack the minimum required funds.

I feel that's your interpretation of it, but not that of immigration. I think in future, either they will cull this option, or introduce something a bit more flexible in it's place but with less stringent criteria than the 1-year extension of stay.

Immigration officials know very well that people who are either unable to meet the financial requirements or travel a lot anyway (irrespective of their financial situation) like to use this visa option.