Swedes have less appetite for Thailand

webfact

8 minutes ago, leicesterguyuk said:

A recession isn't about how much people have, it's about an economy contracting, which has probably happened because people aren't spending, hence have more money to spend than usual. 

Most people I know have saved a lot during the last 6 months. They've not been able to eat out (or even go out much), less weekends away and foreign holidays whilst still working or being on furlough. I expect a huge number of people actually now have extra cash to splash. 

If you add to that buying beer from makro and drinking at home saved a fortune

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

My wife is Isaan Lao, but by a quirk of fate, ended up in Chicago as a teenager.

She has told me many times this story.

"The Thai elite hate us, but we're just the servants, but they hate you even more

That may well be playing out in front of our eyes 

Yeah. They are fairly useless. The lot of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

I nearly artichoked when I read that but your right I'll probably get peppered maybe even par-snipped for it .. 

You fellas have boiled it down to the root of the problem

quicker than the TATers have.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

There is no question that this started happening long before Covid. Granted, now people have less appetite for long haul trips. But, this is an all too convenient scapegoat for the TAT. They really have only themselves to blame. Even after all of the Zombie stuff has passed, I do not expect tourism here to EVER recover to it's former levels. Not in our lifetimes. Too many issues that are not being addressed. 

The real solution is about encouraging tourists, and ex-pats, from countries that spend real money, to come here and visit. That message seems to have gotten lost, in the fervor to court the Chinese and Indian tourists, many of whom do not spend much money at all here. So, what happened? The Western tourists started to decline in number, and the genius minds at the TAT decided it was time to "lure" the Chinese. They came. But, they did not spend much money. Hotels, restaurants, gift shops, jewelers, galleries, spas, massage shops, bars, and countless other businesses suffered, and will continue to suffer from this extreme myopia, on the part of the officials in charge of tourism. Oh well. Can't say they were not warned.

The neighbors are trying too hard, and making too much effort, and investing money. Thailand is not. Though this topic relates mostly to tourism, in a way it pertains to ex-pats living here too. And I too am considering other spots. Thailand is making no steps whatsoever, to improve upon itself. On alot of levels, it feels like it is either standing still, or more than likely going backwards. Frankly, the biggest draw at the moment is being close to my wife's family, the food, the relatively pleasant people, and the reasonable standard of living. But, I dislike the government, and the level of ignorance being perpetrated by the fabulously inferior educational system here does not appear to bode well for the future of the place. I also despise the practice of face, and the staggering level of cowardice that accompanies that weak, pathetic quality. It is a real shame, as I find most Thai people to be quite lovely, friendly, warm, helpful and fun to be around. There are many aspects of life here, that I truly enjoy. I am sure many feel the same way. Just wish the country was not moving backwards, (and was instead moving forward under the leadership of progressive minds) due to a system of meritocracy, and a complete lack of forward looking vision. A nice dream indeed.

But a perfect storm has now beset Thai tourism – emerging nearby tourist markets, a high baht, the US-China trade wars and ongoing fallout from the Phuket Boat Tragedy. And now Covid. 

The neighbors will continue to benefit from the fact that Thailand seems to have gone out of their way to make themselves repulsive to alot of people, as a nation. Not the people. I love the people here. It is the stupendous degree of arrogance, hubris, ignorance, racism, hatred of foreigners, and the stunning lack of vision, on the part of the fabulously incompetent leaders and ministers here. It is really turning off the planet to Thailand. If they could only see how they are perceived. Such ignoramus fools. Now, after years and years of fake nationalist ranting, and insufferable arrogance, they are really starting to pay the price, and they are getting exactly what they so wholeheartedly deserve, which is to be shunned by the planet. Oh well. We sow what we reap. We make the bed, and then we have to lie within it.

The dreaming continues. These ministries consider Thailand to be the center of the universe. The world cannot live without Thailand. The level of superiority within Thailand and Thai society on so many levels is obvious. The world sees that, right? No. Wrong. The world can live without that which Thailand has to offer. And the world is a different place, post Covid. Tourism was already in decline here based on occupancy levels over the past couple of years. Now? The industry will be decimated for a long time to come.

Will Japan continue to invest here? Who knows? Will Chinese investment pick up? Probably. Will that be a good thing? Probably not. The fact is Thailand could be doing a dozen different things to make itself more attractive to both tourism and investment. But, all the things it could do, to make itself a better version of it's current self, would require sacrifice and vision. Not something this army led govt. is capable of. Major tax breaks, drastic lowering of luxury and wine taxes, allowing ownership of land and homes by foreigners, relaxation of inane visa laws, ridding the administration of xenophobic ministers, beginning a program of hiring based on merit, improving traffic safety, paying attention to the air and the environment. The list goes on and on and on. Will any of this happen? One can hope. But, it is unlikely as this administration is one of the least progressive on planet earth. They love projections, prognosticactions, declarations and platitudes. But when it comes to the nuts and bolts, and practical improvements, they are absolutely lost in space.

Way too late for that. About 15 years too late. Earth to Pipat and Prayuth. What planet are you living on? Are you aware of why most wealthy tourists deliberately AVOID Thailand?

I suspect its all down to China making a canny geopolitical move in

the 'war' between its self declared enemy the US. China is weaponising

Thailand with submarines and now a defence satelite so that the the US

can not surround China with bases and missiles.

Americans and their buddies, like the UKers, will be first out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think many tourists everywhere are looking at staying close to home.

We live in South Dakota, and the RV park just down the road from us on the edge of the lake has been full all summer.

I think people have moved to the more outdoor wilderness vacations this year. Our State parks are recording pretty good numbers, which kinda supports my theory.

I just don't buy the idea that people are biting at the bit to spend 10+ hours on a plane wearing a mask to get to Thailand. Seems improbable to me

Reading the stats on airbnb business is good

• Thanks 1

airlines are laying off staff so long haul is gone for quite some time

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkelly/2020/08/26/two-major-airlines-have-announced-massive-layoffs/#7ad92c14235f

American Airlines and Delta Air Lines told their respective employees that the companies plan for massive layoffs in October. American Airlines will downsize 19,000 jobs and Delta plans to lay off nearly 2,000 pilots.

Back in July, American Airlines made a dire announcement warning 25,000 workers that they may be furloughed or laid off. This represented roughly 20% of the company’s workforce. The airline’s message echoed rival United Airlines’ somber news of telling around 36,000 employees that they could be furloughed starting Oct. 1. 

Virgin Atlantic to shed 1,000 more jobs as Covid-19 crisis bites deeper

Airline plans further cuts as chief says carrier is still fighting for survival

its a blood bath out there

https://www.ft.com/content/976a87a7-fa63-4813-8e87-2abb4c702914

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

The US is not high on the wanted tourist list considering how they are handling covid.

Australia, which generally has a high tourist rate to thailand has seen the share market fall and property fall. When they finally allow their citizens to leave the country i doubt many could afford it.

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I agree with you.

US probably way down the list for most countries.

I'm pretty sure @bkk6060 was referring to the economy and financial situation and not to the US as a tourist destination

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

What a ridiculous article.

Most foreigners have decided against International Travel for the next 18 months

On the contrary. All my UK friends and family have taken EVERY opportunity to travel within Europe.⁷

• Like 1

You never know what can happen, maybe they close the airport again when your on the beach. Maybe the restaurants start boycotting the foreign clients again, and so on......

Plus the thing that we need that silly corona insurance while a normal travelinsurance would also suffice.

Plus that we have to go in quarantin in a hotel.

No way Thailand! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, leicesterguyuk said:

A recession isn't about how much people have, it's about an economy contracting, which has probably happened because people aren't spending, hence have more money to spend than usual. 

Most people I know have saved a lot during the last 6 months. They've not been able to eat out (or even go out much), less weekends away and foreign holidays whilst still working or being on furlough. I expect a huge number of people actually now have extra cash to splash. 

Spot on fella, I've been back in England since march and have added £17,000 up to now..

• Like 2

Every cloud has a silver lining and currently in Pattaya the lack of Indians, Australians, Russians and Chinese is no bad thing....for foreigner long stay residents. Obviously the lack of Chinese and Indian tourists is bad for business but the general quality of life is much improved.

10 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

You have to keep things aubergine if you can but ideas can sprout peasily "

"...but relish the idea of gobbling up Turkey, stuffing away their winter garb, toasting their buns on the Mediterranean to a peas their tanning desires while riding the gravy train of savings (not so much Greece this year). It would be just all peaches and cream."

16 hours ago, talahtnut said:

I suspect its all down to China making a canny geopolitical move in

the 'war' between its self declared enemy the US. China is weaponising

Thailand with submarines and now a defence satelite so that the the US

can not surround China with bases and missiles.

Americans and their buddies, like the UKers, will be first out.

It will be interesting to see which sides Thailand chooses. They have a good relationship with the US, dating way back to the treaty of Amity and commerce of 1833. Then the Amity treaty of 1966 was largely responsible for Thailand becoming the powerhouse if became. Without the massive US investment in the 1960's, it is highly questionable if Thailand would have ever become a force to contend with.

So, at this stage who do they choose? Granted, under Trump the US has become a far less reliable ally for most nations. But, even he too shall pass, within months if the world is blessed. Thailand would be advised to consider this choice wisely and with vision toward the future. The US in no angel. But China is the devil, it would appear. 

19 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Lots of Skandi's used to go to Khao Lak I bet that is like a ghost town another place on Phuket for them was Kata and Karon I can confirm they are deserted 

I am at kata right now for the 4-day holiday

ALL shops are closed, even some of the 7-11s and family marts

I walked up and down the kata strip and saw only 4 restaurants open

fortunately, one of them is next to my hotel

with that said, its super relaxing, but it isnt anyplace I would want to spend a 2-week holiday at...