Ex-Marine 'could die alone in Thailand' after massive stroke as borders stay shut

rooster59

Ex-Marine 'could die alone in Thailand' after massive stroke as borders stay shut

By Kelly-Ann Mills

0_1Colin-Coppard.jpg

Colin Coppard is stuck in Thailand as he fights for his life (Image: Provided by family)

EXCLUSIVE: Colin Coppard has had a section of his skull removed in a desperate bid to save his life. Now his family are calling on the Government to ask Thailand to open the border to allow him home.

A former Royal Marine who has been left paralysed by a massive stroke is stuck abroad after Thailand closed its borders due to coronavirus, stopping a repatriation flight from bringing him home.

Colin Coppard served his country for more than eight years, with tours in both Iraq and Northern Ireland, but his family fear he’ll die alone in a foreign country as his mental and physical health deteriorates.

The super fit ex-soldier, now works as a freelance contractor for anti poaching units in South Africa, stopping the super rich from killing animals on safari.

Full story: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ex-marine-could-die-alone-22628292

Mirror: 2020-09-05

• Confused 6
  • Sad 9

14 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Don't you believe it. I had dealings a few years ago, for the company I worked for,  with the Commercial Staff at the Bangkok Embassy, all Thais, they were obstructionist, unhelpful, pretended not to understand  and less than useless.  The reason, we would have been in competition with the Thai Navy for a particular contract. It was so obvious as to be laughable.  We appealed to the Ambassador to intervene, and he did nothing and yet we were trying to do a deal that would have benefited UK. 

Again...I will say straight out...that if that occured....it was at the behest of the British staff controlling the employees....don't be suprised if your country is seemingly doing favors to it's host nation...happens all the time all over the world.

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

a casevac flight, its his only option and they are allowed, if you can afford it, so this report, like so many others, is BS. 

I'm the first admit I have no medical knowledge, but would a flight be allowed for someone who has recently had part of their skull removed. Would a pressurised cabin be dangerous?

His best option perhaps is one of the Military Charities, there a quite a few that may help, British Legion being one and Help for Heros. I hope someone helps, but the UK is not known for caring a monkeys toss about those who have served.  Its not the US, where they do seem to  care. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

The majority of the Embassy staff are not British, they are Thai, so why should they care. It's not in their DNA

But they are under British staf...aint it ?....So why the bosses dont interact ?

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

a casevac flight, its his only option and they are allowed, if you can afford it, so this report, like so many others, is BS. 

If a member of British Legion,an ex soldier he could well be removed by air ambulance  21 quid a year

• Like 1