Ex-Marine 'could die alone in Thailand' after massive stroke as borders stay shut

rooster59

35 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

Exactly. But these are usually organized and paid for by insurance companies. Hardly anyone can afford such a charter out of his own pocket.

Insurance will sometimes (after lots of evaluation) do it if a patient has chance of recovery back home vs the likelihood of deceasing abroad. They will not pay for such an evacuation just for the sake of a patient dying at home though.

So this rag reported on the totally wrong issue: The Thai Embassy in London should issue at least 1 or 2 family members a Visa + COE to visit their dying relative. Maybe it would even be possible under the medical visa scheme.

Best post on this topic. Family trying to drum up money or get on a repatriation flight for a visit.

I like one of the comments to the Mirror article:

Are you saying if you happened to be in non UK land you may die alone???? really how about those who are in the UK?? they are dying with or without border issues. Please stop adding lies. you can get far superior health care abroad and most of us run abroad just to get good care.

Which rather contradicts all the knee-jerk comparisons here denigrating Thai health care vs that of the far superior UK.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, izod10 said:

If a member of British Legion,an ex soldier he could well be removed by air ambulance  21 quid a year

Not true, that is the cost of RBL membership, which doesn't offer insurance of any kind.   As a registered charity, the RBL can and does support former servicemen and women (and their families) on a case by case basis.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Not true, that is the cost of RBL membership, which doesn't offer insurance of any kind.   As a registered charity, the RBL can and does support former servicemen and women (and their families) on a case by case basis.

did I mention insurance? indeed it does support,has a welfare branch, and in a "case by case" evacuated personnel out of Thailand

Sorry for hes situation, but little know mercenarys in Afrika! 2 my friend go there after" La Légion étrangère"!They had  nice looking job in paper! But truth can be other kind!

Like work in diamond mine's! That kind place is untoutched bye law! Maybe hes in right job there .Who knows .

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Best post on this topic. Family trying to drum up money or get on a repatriation flight for a visit.

I like one of the comments to the Mirror article:

Which rather contradicts all the knee-jerk comparisons here denigrating Thai health care vs that of the far superior UK.

I have found that many Brits are extremely nationalistic looking down other countries. Brexit showed enough. 

Having said that there are quite a lot of "normal" Brits on this forum who do see things more balanced.

But in this case its again lack of insurance and putting out some false information to get more money.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I have found that many Brits are extremely nationalistic looking down other countries. Brexit showed enough. 

That's odd. I've found most are first to disparage their own country. I mean look at the state of it.

For every negative view or opinion about Thailand, I have at least half a dozen about the UK. But then I left that miserable little island to come here so it's a biased opinion. 

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

Just now, pixelaoffy said:

What nonsense ! Talking about British being 'nationalistic' on a site Inna country where national anthem sung everyday and TV is full of it! I know another  large country that actual pledges allegiance to a flag 

So your argument is that Brits can't be nationalistic because other countries are more nationalistic ? That is a strange argument. 

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

EXCLUSIVE: Colin Coppard has had a section of his skull removed in a desperate bid to save his life. Now his family are calling on the Government to ask Thailand to open the border to allow him home.

A former Royal Marine who has been left paralysed by a massive stroke is stuck abroad after Thailand closed its borders due to coronavirus, stopping a repatriation flight from bringing him home.

Colin Coppard served his country for more than eight years, with tours in both Iraq and Northern Ireland, but his family fear he’ll die alone in a foreign country as his mental and physical health deteriorates.

The super fit ex-soldier, now works as a freelance contractor for anti poaching units in South Africa, stopping the super rich from killing animals on safari.

As mentioned earlier the borders are not closed for these type of cases.

He served as a Royal Marine and, to the best of my knowledge, they have a very good old boys network who help each other out.  Perhaps they would ensure that he can have visits from ex colleagues who live here.

As a freelance contractor with anti-poaching units he is in an environment where he can be shot, stabbed, poisoned, infected with tropical diseases and be ripped apart by wild animals - He doesn't have medical insurance?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonray said:

But surely you realize they are just staff....the embassy takes directives from the Ambassador and the Foreign Office. The Thai staff make no decisions such as this

It was just an anti thai slur (not allowed apparently) move on ....

57 minutes ago, SteveK said:

That's odd. I've found most are first to disparage their own country. I mean look at the state of it.

For every negative view or opinion about Thailand, I have at least half a dozen about the UK. But then I left that miserable little island to come here so it's a biased opinion. 

As i said there are quite a lot that more balanced in their views. But articles like this show how many Brits view other countries. I would not be here if I did not like this country more then my own. I long ago stopped being nationalistic. I feel its a bad thing. Makes one blind and bias. Every country has its good and bad things. 

I went on a holiday to the UK i had a good time. I was a kid back then but still it was nice. Did prefer France and Spain more (mainly because of the weather and sea). 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 2long said:

Yesterday I had a topic closed because

"Uncorroborated hearsay in the opening post. "

So, can we do the same for any links to the Daily Mail, Daily Mirror & The Sun?

Lol looking forward to the answer to that .......????

6 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

From reading that story, it would appear he came to Thailand with less money that your average backpacker trying to set up an import/export business and got caught out by Covid. I feel very sorry for him, and am surprised that there aren't more stories like this. It looks like his GoFund thing will be a success, I wish him a speedy recovery.