why isnt london having a 2nd wave??

3NUMBAS

As other cities go into lockdown, why isn’t London having a second wave?

c7f99660-2474-11e9-bfaf-2647b82cb126
Jamie Doward
The Guardian6 September 2020

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/other-cities-lockdown-why-isn-055416093.html

It is a question that puzzles both those on the front line fighting Covid 19 and the experts developing strategies to combat its next move: why has London not seen a second flare-up when other parts of the UK are now having to introduce new lockdown restrictions?

“It’s a bit of an enigma, given that London very definitely led during the initial peak,” said Professor David Alexander, who is based at the Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction at University College London.

8 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I believe they call it 'immunity', a mechanism whereby once you've 'had it' you don't 'get it' again.

If you don't 'get it' again then you don't 'spread it' again, etc.

If many people in an area have this 'immunity' then it doesn't spread that much but it will continue to spread in areas of low or no immunity.

Does that mean that Sweden won't get a second wave and places like Melbourne that keep going into lock down who are now worried about wave number 3,and possibly more,will be wasting there time trying to stop it?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scammed said:

yes that is exactly what statistics so far is telling us

No that is not what the  "statistics" show.

There is no need for fanciful explanations when the data trends reflect what has been know since the start of the pandemic.

Populations which are older have the higher risk of infection.

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I'm still pushing my looney conspiracy theory that this virus came to Thailand in Nov/Dec and finished up about Mar/Apr based on the unusually high numbers of viral pneumonia deaths being reported during that time which I think got to about 3700 before they stopped publishing the figures.Hence I believe it's possible that Thailand has already reached immunity.My theory would also explain why Thailand did so well with the numbers because by time they developed testing capability the pandemic was pretty much finished here.

And yet  there is no supporting  evidence in the form of data,  studies or literature reviews to support your position. 

perhaps you are a genius, and the world does not know about you. You possess an inherent brilliance such that the people who have spent decades  studying infectious diseases, viruses and public health know nothing when compared to you.

I recommend that you present your findings to the world. You can save the world.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

My guess is Thailand has enough immunity from the 2019 first wave which went largely undetected as COVID was not fashionable yet.  London too from early 2020.   All the lockdowns were just economic self flagelation. 

Great minds think alike as they say.I know there was a lot of flu like stuff going around here in Jan/Feb.Love the economic self flagellation a very apt description.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, scammed said:

statistics indicate regions that were hit hard dont get a 2nd wave, i.e herd immunity is achieved at the cost of the weak

Absolute rubbish. You do not understand the concept of "waves". Many countries have not yet finished their first wave.

Canada is one country which comes to mind. It is now experiencing a relatively large explosion of cases. The golden boy of success, British Columbia is  in crisis. Quebec and Ontario which had managed to get the disease under control are experiencing large outbreaks.  They are not into their second wave. On the contrary, what we are seeing is the impact of factors;

- Schools have reopened and the  cases counts are increasing.

-  The  20-30 age demographic has been non compliant with  house parties,  karaoke events, refusal to self quarantine when identified as at risk etc.

If a second wave comes, we will know it, because it will most likely be more severe and it will occur when populations are packed in close conditions inside buildings.

55 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Let's just deal with the established facts: Younger people are less likely to contract the illness ..........,

Infections by age/gender in England up to 30th July.

25-29 looks pretty young from where I am now.

image.png.5a241f8d78ba0e6d0128e4366b886111.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1115083/coronavirus-cases-in-england-by-age-and-gender/

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I'm still pushing my looney conspiracy theory that this virus came to Thailand in Nov/Dec and finished up about Mar/Apr based on the unusually high numbers of viral pneumonia deaths being reported during that time which I think got to about 3700 before they stopped publishing the figures.Hence I believe it's possible that Thailand has already reached immunity.My theory would also explain why Thailand did so well with the numbers because by time they developed testing capability the pandemic was pretty much finished here.

If it truly started spreading since the World Military Games in Wuhan in October 2019, then your theory would make sense. This would also explain samples from people who had a flu-like illness  in France in December also testing positive for the virus.

Taiwan News title: Coronavirus may have been spreading since Wuhan Military Games last October

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3932712

For France:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/french-doctors-say-they-found-a-covid-19-patient-from-december-1.4924548

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I believe they call it 'immunity', a mechanism whereby once you've 'had it' you don't 'get it' again.

If you don't 'get it' again then you don't 'spread it' again, etc.

If many people in an area have this 'immunity' then it doesn't spread that much but it will continue to spread in areas of low or no immunity.

Wrong a guy in Singapore had it twice in 3 months

25 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Wrong a guy in Singapore had it twice in 3 months

See the 1st study in my above post. In a fishing vessel in which 104 of 122 were infected, the 3 who had antibodies prior to boarding the vessel did not fall ill.

In addition, having immunity could also mean that if you get infected again your case will likely not be as severe. Was he asymptomatic? Did he have a severe case?

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 1

2988 new cases today up from 1800 ish yesterday, not sure where these are coming from. I smell further restrictions coming and furlough is coming to an end, the protests are springing up all over the UK. I reckon limiting of gatherings and masks in the street, I think the government are feeling threatened by the anti lockdown protests.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tgw said:

I disagree. statistics tell us that Sweden already had the second wave, it followed the first one closely. You can actually see it on the graph.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

I dunno. Looks like one long wave. Didn't hear any Swedish health care professionals saying they had 2.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/