Daughter of British couple murdered in Thailand angry as killers avoid death row

webfact

6 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Perhaps off topic as well but never mind. Before I came to Thailand I used to drive a taxi part time in a provincial city. Not my job of choice, but I was caring for a mother with dementia, so it was the only job I could really do. One night I had the <deleted> beaten out of me by a couple of thugs because i wouldn't do a job "off the meter" - kicked in the head and losing some peripheral vision in my left eye. The policeman who dealt with it (they were prosecuted, although it was reduced from ABH to assault, they got suspended sentences) explained to me that they grew their own cannabis, and through sustained use of it were liable to be psychotic.

No violence, hmm!

So there was no proof it was caused by cannabis just s suspicion. Alcohol causes far more crime i bet you drink it and dont call it a vilent drug.  People are so bias.

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Far as I know they don't execute people in the UK, so she can get angry but it's misguided, IMO.

Just because in our native countries they don't have the death penalty does not make us all against them. We don't have it in the Netherlands too but had any of my family members been murdered I can assure you i'd hope we did execute murderes. 

Since the death penalty was actually an option for the murderers of her parents I can understand why she'd be angry. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

I don't get your point here (actually I'm 100% sure there isn't one).

Someone who has been sentenced for the heinous murder of two people in Thailand isn't tantamount to a protestor convicted in a kangaroo court under an autocratic regime.

The judiciary here might have it's flaws (mostly corruption related) but the law and guilt of these convicts is clear. There was nothing foul with this trial, they deserved and received the death penalty.

Sorry, can't bring myself to dumb the point down any further.

51 minutes ago, robblok said:

Bit strange reasoning.

If i were convicted for use as so often happens in Thailand I would be non violent. If I were convicted for stealing to support my habit it would be a violent drug crime. 

You  cant make up your own rules. Just so you know alcohol is a hard drug canabis just a soft drug with far less dangers then alcohol. 

Cannabis is more dangerous than Alcohol  cannabis causes psychosis and schizophrenia which means the user is unpredictable and dangerous to other people. Alcohol is dangerous to the user and it is obvious when someone is 'drunk'. Another factor of cannabis use is noise, users and dealers are often found because of the noise and anti social behaviour. The common response from noisy anti social cannabis users when confronted is to accuse the angry complainant of being drunk. In other words they tend to be very selfish and create violent situations.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, FlyingThai said:

One could argue over if cannabis is a drug, controlled substance or recreational product and that largely depends on the local laws and regulations.

Wherever a product is outlawed there is criminal activity attached to it. Criminals usually apply violence. Cannabis is a soft product, the smell makes me sick to my stomach so I can't speak about how addictive it is but lets say someone gets addicted to cannabis or [insert substance of choice] and has no money to pay you or the middle man who sells it.

What do you think happens? More likely than not the addict will commit crimes to procure money for his fix. Be it theft, robbery or in the worst case robbery-homicides.

You've just pointed to the solution yourself: Legalize all drugs for recreational use, which will rid the supply chains of criminals.

Then punish reckless and irresponsible drug abuse only, same as with alcohol. Tried and tested.

7 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

Unless they get pardoned under some obscure pardon/amnesty. Every year dangerous criminals get pardoned in Thailand.

It's  Buddhist culture , to forgive .

Provided , a brown envelope , is enclosed ..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Off topic, but in answer to your off topic post.

I used to grow cannabis back in the UK.

There was no violence anywhere in the process of growing, harvesting, drying and smoking it.

As a former prosecutor my experience is..

grass, no crime, i didnt see anyone charged because they were high.

cocaine, rich mans drug, can cause lots of burglary and theft.

meth, lots of violence, messes with the brain in violent ways.

they were the only drug matters i dealt with. I never dealt with any actual crime inflicted on others due to marijuana use.

im not a user of any.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

She can feel that way, of course, but she has no right to expect another country to execute people when her own country won't.

'Execution by reciprocal agreement' has to be the most ridiculous post seen all year; but i'll humour you by pointing out her (right to) dual nationality...????

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

Perhaps off topic as well but never mind. Before I came to Thailand I used to drive a taxi part time in a provincial city. Not my job of choice, but I was caring for a mother with dementia, so it was the only job I could really do. One night I had the <deleted> beaten out of me by a couple of thugs because i wouldn't do a job "off the meter" - kicked in the head and losing some peripheral vision in my left eye. The policeman who dealt with it (they were prosecuted, although it was reduced from ABH to assault, they got suspended sentences) explained to me that they grew their own cannabis, and through sustained use of it were liable to be psychotic.

No violence, hmm!

You could have done with a can of Spinach in your glove box! ????

In this case all the Thai involved should just be shot and killed period unless he can prove that the white guy and his Thai wife tormented him as her brother while working for them. Guys is a total low life loser non money making money on his own dirt bag and needs to die. Period! F him and his accomplices. 

10 hours ago, robblok said:

So there was no proof it was caused by cannabis just s suspicion. Alcohol causes far more crime i bet you drink it and dont call it a vilent drug.  People are so bias.

They weren't drunk.

They were heavy cannabis users.

It was the policeman's opinion, based on his knowledge of them and their habits.

There is no bias there, it just doesn't fit with your opinions.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, evadgib said:

You could have done with a can of Spinach in your glove box! ????

Couple of scaffolders they were. Big lads. Pulled me out of the driving seat and flying kick to the head.

Funnily enough (?) The Police had been carrying out a purge on taxi drivers with "weapons". At a council checkpoint the week before a motorcycle policeman had ticked me off for carrying a big maglight under my seat - as it could constitute a weapon!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

They weren't drunk.

They were heavy cannabis users.

It was the policeman's opinion, based on his knowledge of them and their habits.

There is no bias there, it just doesn't fit with your opinions.

I just tell you the facts, alcohol causes more violent crime then cannabis. Not an opinion its a fact. Something most alcohol users have a hard time accepting. I do believe and its documented that some cannabis users get violent but far less then alcohol. 

2 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Couple of scaffolders they were. Big lads. Pulled me out of the driving seat and flying kick to the head.

Funnily enough (?) The Police had been carrying out a purge on taxi drivers with "weapons". At a council checkpoint the week before a motorcycle policeman had ticked me off for carrying a big maglight under my seat - as it could constitute a weapon!

That sucks, on one side i feel people need to be able to defend themselves especially taxi drivers and others that carry money. But on the other hand if an weapon is available its often used to attack too not defend. Just look at the violence in Thailand were taxi drivers have all kinds of weapons.

Split about this as some people can have a weapon and only use it for defense but a lot get more brave when they have a weapon take risk they should not. Also use it in minor traffic problems. It sucks that the good always suffer under the evil.

On 9/7/2020 at 4:07 PM, Hi Tea said:

Not every Thai is a devout Buddhist.

Thx .

Just as i was considering being a  White Monk . 

Surely ,  if i turned up @ immigration wearing the gear,  orange Robe , etc .

I would be treated , with due respect,  not  as a your average farang ...

Edited by elliss

On 9/7/2020 at 8:18 PM, RobU said:

Cannabis is more dangerous than Alcohol  cannabis causes psychosis and schizophrenia which means the user is unpredictable and dangerous to other people. Alcohol is dangerous to the user and it is obvious when someone is 'drunk'. Another factor of cannabis use is noise, users and dealers are often found because of the noise and anti social behaviour. The common response from noisy anti social cannabis users when confronted is to accuse the angry complainant of being drunk. In other words they tend to be very selfish and create violent situations.

Complete <deleted>. You don't get in your car and kill other people after consuming cannabis unlike alcohol. Alcohol: the drug choice for the low IQ folks. 

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, elliss said:

Thx .

Just as i was considering being a  White Monk . 

Surely ,  if i turned up @ immigration wearing the gear,  orange Robe , etc .

I would be treated , with due respect,  not  as a your average farang ...

What?

14 hours ago, Oww said:

Complete <deleted>. You don't get in your car and kill other people after consuming cannabis unlike alcohol. Alcohol: the drug choice for the low IQ folks. 

Rubbish.

Read this:

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/does-marijuana-use-affect-driving

"Two large European studies found that drivers with THC in their blood were roughly twice as likely to be culpable for a fatal crash than drivers who had not used drugs or alcohol."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Oww said:

Just cos you don't......?   ????

And drug smokers are the hi-iq folk, I haven't read anything so daft in a long time.????

Answer this, how long does alcohol stay effective in your system, how long does puffing dope stay effective in your system....? I look forward to your reply....????

In the UK police use drug test kits on suspected drink/drug drivers, if over the prescribed drug limit they get banned from driving, the same as drink drivers.

• Like 2