Abolish all Tourist Visas and Requirements Until 2030

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Just because your a citizen of a developed country does not mean you are a developed citizen. Why not just start the "Empty your Prisons: Thailand Extended Stay Program" ?

Exactly, maybe the BLM will also come to thailand soon....we don't need them..i know far better places to go to anyway, thailand is off the list for holidays.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

For the next decade, all ASEAN countries should eliminate all visa requirements for the citizens of developed countries. They should stamp visitors in for a year, and hope they stay spending money in the country for as long as possible. As long as you have not been blacklisted, you should be able to simply buy a one-way ticket, hop on the plane, and figure out your hotel once you arrive.

Just like your own country does, eh?  Or is this suggestion just for ASEAN member states, if so why, don't other countries need tourist income also?  Why do you suggest that only citizens of "developed" countries should qualify, do they spend a different type of not-as-valuable currency?

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You were the one dissing the OP.

I was the one expressing my opinion of the OP's suggestion.  It you choose to interpret  it as "dissing" (Jesus...) that's just your opinion, your option and your problem.

Edited by Hi Tea

I agree with most of what has been said on this topic, but the reality is that the "government" seems to be moving at a snail's pace on all of these vital issues!

There are many countries which have now already "controlled" the virus to acceptable levels, and have people able to, and willing to travel and spend money in Thailand, but the airport mostly remains closed, flights non-existing, and no signs of any change in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, donnacha said:

In general, I want all people of good character from any country to be able to travel to every other country as tourists. Unfortunately, that would also require realistic laws around not allowing just anyone to claim asylum and live at taxpayer expense. I believe that is unfair and is destroying the basis for welfare states. My solution would be to allow anyone in who arrives by air, is not blacklisted, and is coming from a country to which they can be returned if necessary.

"I want all people of good character from any country to be able to travel to [Thailand] as tourists...My solution would be to allow anyone in who arrives by air, is not blacklisted, and is coming from a country to which they can be returned if necessary."

Brilliant "solution", allow anyone entry but only anyone of good character!   How would that be determined? 

"...and is coming from a country to which they can be returned if necessary".

So there are some countries to which their citizens cannot be returned?  Really?

"Unfortunately, that would also require realistic laws around not allowing just anyone to claim asylum and live at taxpayer expense".

Huh?  Those exist already.

The OP is wrong on many counts.  Exaggerating the impact of tourism on Asian economies, ignoring the cultural issues of too many tourists impacting local culture. over reliance on that industry that is stifling the growth of high tech industries.  But the biggest issue is uncontrolled movement into the country.  What country in its right mind would allow such a thing.  I know that the UK/US/Australia/NZ would not and it would be madness and unacceptable if it did. The OP apparently wants it all his or her own way.  The message is, 'do what I want, not what is good for you'.  It is a typical arrogant western view of what Asia is and is not.  It is not a playground for western holidaymakers, despite what many would like to believe. 

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, donnacha said:

Most countries intervene when an important industry suffers a catastrophic collapse. In Thailand, the collapse of the tourism industry (in the wide sense of all the things that foreigners spend money on) is particularly catastrophic because:

1. A particularly large number of Thai people, whose skills are not suited for other parts of the Thai economy, rely on tourism.

https://www.scbeic.com/en/detail/file/product/2953/ekn1rppsq7/EIC_Insight_ENG_Tourism_2016.pdf

The three tourism-related sector– hotel and restaurant, wholesale and retail trade, transportation and communication – together employ more than 10 million workers, adding 1.4% each year and comprising 26% of total employment in Thailand.

26% is not a particularly "large amount" when compared with the 74% of people who do not rely on tourism!

3 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

Brilliant "solution", allow anyone entry but only anyone of good character!   How would that be determined? 

If you commit any infraction serious enough to come to the attention of the police, you're out!

4 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

So there are some countries to which their citizens cannot be returned?  Really?

You're kidding, right? You couldn't seriously be unaware that the primary basis of refugee status is that people cannot be safely returned to their countries, to that their claimed countries will not accept them.

This is why it is standard practice for economic migrants claiming refugee status to destroy their identity documents.

6 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

"Unfortunately, that would also require realistic laws around not allowing just anyone to claim asylum and live at taxpayer expense".

Huh?  Those exist already.

Again, I have no idea what magical country you come from but standard practice in most of the richer European countries is for undocumented arrivals to spend a decade or so fighting deportation orders in long, drawn-out court cases at taxpayer expense.

The solution I outlined regards people arriving as tourists, because I would like more legitimate visitors to be able to visit my country. The deal should be that you can come with no interviews, or proof of wealth etc, but a firm agreement that you cannot claim refugee status, there are no appeals, you will simply be flown back to the country you flew in from.

That law most certainly does NOT already exist in Europe. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, donnacha said:
25 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

If you commit any infraction serious enough to come to the attention of the police, you're out!

So you're suggesting that while you want visa-free entry you also want police checks on every tourist? Brilliant.

14 minutes ago, donnacha said:
26 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

You're kidding, right? You couldn't seriously be unaware that the primary basis of refugee status is that people cannot be safely returned to their countries, to that their claimed countries will not accept them.

"...their claimed countries will not accept them".

You're kidding, right?  You can't be seriously suggesting that you think there is any country on the planet that will not accept it's own citizens but will deny them entry?

23 minutes ago, donnacha said:

The deal should be that you can come with ... a firm agreement that you cannot claim refugee status

Tourists claiming refugee status is a problem that you see happening here?  How many have there been, let's say, over the last 5 years?

By the way, laws to prevent false asylum requests and the subsequent inability of a country to return fake asylum-seekers do exist, in every country.

34 minutes ago, donnacha said:
50 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

You're kidding, right?  You can't be seriously suggesting that you think there is any country on the planet that will not accept it's own citizens but will deny them entry?

Look, I'm really tired of explaining the world to you. I'm guessing you are quite young. You have a lot of attitude for someone who knows so little.

There are a wide range of countries who will either point blank not accept back their own citizens, or who will obstruct any such return by refusing to replace documents, such as passports, that the citizen has destroyed.

In one recent high profile example, Pakistan refused to accept the return ISIS bride and Pakistan citizen Shamina Begum, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of people around the world stuck in this limbo.

50 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

Tourists claiming refugee status is a problem that you see happening here?  How many have there been, let's say, over the last 5 years?

Look, there is a level of ignorance beyond which one man alone cannot push back. I don't know what to tell you. Maybe read newspapers, maybe talk with older, more experienced guys. If you are in your early 20's, that's okay, but if you are this clueless in your early 30's, you might need some form of help that I regret I am not qualified to give you.

You really don't need to explain the world to me and you certainly haven't been doing that!  My grandchildren would disagree with your condescending and irrelevant assessment of my age.

So you can't answer that simple question regarding legitimate asylum-seekers that you brought up and seemed to think was relevant to tourists entry to Thailand?

Under International Law, no country can refuse entry to their own citizens who have no other nationality or revoke their citizenship if it would leave them stateless.   There are not "literally hundreds of thousands of people" who are refused entry to their own country of citizenship.

Shamina Begum was a British citizen born in the UK, she was not a Pakistani and Pakistan had no connection to her case, her parents were from Bangladesh originally.  She, initially, had her British citizenship revoked because she was, and still is, eligible for citizenship of Bangladesh by virtue of her parents both being Bangladeshi.

"...you might need some form of help that I regret I am not qualified to give you".

You sure aren't qualified to give me any kind of help.

As I said in a previous post you may want to back off the multiple personal attacks, it contravenes the forum rules...

"You have a lot of attitude for someone who knows so little".

"there is a level of ignorance beyond which one man alone cannot push back"

"you are this clueless"

"you might need some form of help"

Edited by Hi Tea