Abolish all Tourist Visas and Requirements Until 2030

ASEAN countries already have mutual visa-free travel amongst members, ranging from 14 - 30 days.

ASEAN countries seem to offer visa-free, or evisa, or visa on arrival to many countries.

Thailand offers visa exemption for 64 countries, and visa on arrival for another 19.

What am I missing here?

I mean, other than returning to the (previous) status quo post-COVID?

Stamping in people from "developed" countries for a year raises all sorts of issues. No country would ever adopt such a policy.

45 minutes ago, donnacha said:

As I said, I know this is wishful thinking, but it would absolutely make sense when you consider the unavoidable barriers that will now be depressing visitor numbers.

Well, it could end up being a matter of life or death for the government. Even before Covid, there was widespread disdain for the mismanagement and evident greed of the generals, but it takes a lot before regular Thais will take a stand against the elites.

Now we are facing something something unprecedented. No matter how bad things got in the past, vast flows of foreign money kept washing into the country, some of reaching the parts of the nation that have long been abandoned by the elites.

What happens when you simply remove that familiar, always dependable flow?

If there has not yet seemed to be much of an effect, if the impact seems mostly contained to the tourist areas, it may simply be that the knock-on effects for the entire economy have not yet become clear. Without a doubt, however, a bad time is coming. It is possible that, in around six months time, the threat of Covid is going to seem far less risky than the loss of that income.

What a joke.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

I think the remaining airlines will fight for every passenger with vastly discounted tickets. Even now, when planes are flying around half empty (or empty), price of tickets didn't go up, but remains more or less the same as what it was, sometimes even lower. They've found other stuff to do - lower frequency, switch plane models, move cargo around, etc. Tickets are unlikely to increase in prices much when demand picks up again due to stiff competition.

I hope that I turn out to be wrong. I am basing this presumption on what people working in the industry have been predicting.

At the moment, even scanning prices six months or a year ahead, they seem uniformly high.

The previous prices were ridiculously low, particularly when you examined your receipts and saw how much was going in various taxes. In most cases, the amount the airline got flying me from Europe to Thailand was less than I would pay for a long rail journey in my country.

That was only possible because the airlines had finely calibrated their schedules and seat availability to maximize their use of each plane. Sure, some planes would have empty seats but, on average, they were remarkably successful.

That was thanks to finely honed algorithms based on a nice, long experience of how things were before. Many people are guessing that, post-Covid, many of the pricing tricks used to ensure those last few seats get filled will no longer be possible. When planning a journey involves so many variables and new risks, fewer people will be as tempted by last-minute bargains.

It is possible the new model may be to accept that less people will fly, and that 100% seat occupancy will be harder to achieve, so they will simply charge more.

Again, I sincerely hope this turns out to be wrong.

• Like 2

Thailand has to avoid that it gets a home for foreign people without money. Such people would be a burden. And so it has visas already that allow a longer stay but where also the financial situation of the foreigners is checked regularly. 

• Like 2

This is why western economies should stop doling out state pensions for anyone living in Thailand for more than 6 months. Why should western taxpayers support old men sponsoring Isaan families? I fully support pension freeze like Britain is doing and wish Canada did the same thing. 

I don't give a flying f about Thailand economy. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1