Pattaya: Desperate elderly beggar, 73, cuts off own toes

webfact

Pattaya: Desperate elderly beggar, 73, cuts off own toes

4pm1.jpg

Picture: Siam Chon News

Siam Chon News reported on the pitiful case of a 73 year old grandmother begging on the streets of Pattaya.

Noochan Malaikham was pictured being given wound cleaning help by a young man called Junior, 23, from a local rescue foundation. 

He said that he was concerned that if the old lady's wounds were not washed and dressed they could become infected. 

Noochan admitted that she had taken a pair of scissors to her toes in an effort to lessen the agony from diabetes. 

She had stripped some flesh but in some areas she had to cut towards the bone to get relief. 

She was waiting for a relative to come and sign papers so she could get proper medical attention. 

She said that she was from Mahasarakham and had four children but they had all left home. One was in prison for drugs. 

She had been living in a deserted house in Pattaya with two sons in law who had helped out but they had now fallen victim to the severe economic crisis. 

She said she gets rent free accommodation and some kind person pays her electricity and water bills. She gets some food handouts from some other kind people and with money from her begging buys her own too. 

She said that she has relatives upcountry but they have nothing and she could not be any help to them in the fields. 

She said that she could cope with her situation and doesn't need the help of the authorities. She sees her diabetes doctor according to her appointment schedule and takes her meds. 

Noochan sits on the footpath near the Photisan intersection. 

Source: Siam Chon News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-08

• Sad 2

Sad state of affairs under current economic situation. I have many Thai friends in tourism business and they are hurting bad. I don’t know how long they can hold on with no end in sight. One had 2 coaches sitting idle now but had to service the monthly payment.

Maybe I'm naive but couldn't she have gone to a hospital for a medically proper amputation if needed?

I realize that the health care for the poor isn't grade A here but diabetic amputations aren't exactly cutting-edge medical technology. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

is healthcare not free for thais ?

people can be strange.

I had a Thai friend who had a dangerous medical condition that required just a small ambulant operation to fix.

can you believe she vehemently refused to get treated, first citing costs, and after I told her it was free, I had to raise the voice and scold her so that she finally accepted that I bring her to emergency care. tried to get out without treatment too. not a friend anymore.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Noochan admitted that she had taken a pair of scissors to her toes in an effort to lessen the agony from diabetes. 

Being a diabetic myself (type 2) I can appreciate how she must have suffered on some occasions. Even though I take my medication, including 2 daily injections of insulin, my feet can give me grief (Neuropathy) - but not to the extent of using scissors! It is a pity she did not attend the local Government Hospital where (from my experience in Khon Kaen Province) there were special diabetic clinics that offer advice and prescribe the appropriate medication. Praise and congratulations to "junior" for his actions in helping the lady with medication to prevent infection (Sepsis) which can be deadly with diabetics.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tgw said:

people can be strange.

I had a Thai friend who had a dangerous medical condition that required just a small ambulant operation to fix.

can you believe she vehemently refused to get treated, first citing costs, and after I told her it was free, I had to raise the voice and scold her so that she finally accepted that I bring her to emergency care. tried to get out without treatment too. not a friend anymore.

Yeah, public hospital medical care should be free to her.   One of Thaksin's doings. 

Someone should bring her to a public hospital.

The social welfare and old people social security are still lacking but the universal healthcare part is pretty far along.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

is healthcare not free for thais ?

The post says she sees a diabetic doctor and takes her meds?

Not sure why she did what she did, maybe she should talk to the doctor more if she's experiencing acute pain.

On 9/8/2020 at 12:51 PM, jacko45k said:

Ain't it just. One is often lectured on how the locals care for their elderly parents etc etc, but cases like this keep cropping up.

Totally agree.  Thais like to trumpet how family is so important right up to putting their hand in their pocket; then there's a deafening silence.

• Like 1

Unlike in the US she is entitled to free healthcare (30 baht), one of the good things about Thailand.  As long as someone bring her to a public hospital she will be in good hands. 

Still a tragedy, one of 100.000 + cases.