Chinese "tourist" robbed of 10 million baht by five armed men at luxury housing estate in Pattaya

webfact

36 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

Why would a Chinese "tourist" be bringing 10 million baht to Pattaya? The mind boggles!

As you well know, as a result of many threads on Thaivisa relating to falangs doing the same thing, not everyone with a tourist visa is actually a tourist.

Why do all you people think that this guy "flew in here" with 10 mil in a briefcase (or suitcase). 

For Freddies Sake - do you really not know what a "bank transfer" is ? You can literally transfer as much as you want, as long as the proper paperwork is done (and the amount being transferred is justified). No need to try and smuggle in large quantities of cash hidden in your underwear.

Living in that kind of house, in that kind of housing estate, I'm sure he would have had no problem justifying (to the bank) much larger transfers.

Just because most of you have to scrap a pile of satang coins together to try and buy a cheap glass of warm beer once a week doesn't mean every other foreigner in the country is just as poor.

Why he was keeping that much in cash in his home is another question. In this day and age, most (legit) business transactions would be done by bank transfers/wire payments, not cash.

And, if you are the suspicious type, you might even entertain the notion that he actually didn't have anywhere near that much in the safe and could even go a bit further and suspect that he knew the "robbers". (In other words, he may have staged the whole thing to cover up some missing cash.)

Wouldn't be the first time someone over-exaggerated an amount supposedly "stolen".

I wonder what kind of insurance policy he has.........

• Haha 2

Not a good sign. Siam Royal View is pretty much on the highest end in Pattaya, if they start getting armed robberies, time to arm yourself.

BTW, some of the villas there have been short time illegal hotel rentals. I noticed it when I was househunting. 10M baht and Chinese "tourist" .. do the math.

Also, SRV has a "back door" from Talman side. I bet they didn't go through the fancy gate at Khaotalo.

Edited by DrTuner

How come Chinese posts get more moderators watching then Farang posts ?   

or is it the 10 million baht that has people flocking ( am i allowed to say that)  here ?

Maybe someone  was a stool pigeon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

The estate name, though, was not quite correct as it is the Siam Royal View at the top of Soi Khao Talo. This being confirmed by another, not to be named, publication.

I figured it out from the photo, but thanks. You can say Bangkok Post though, nobody's going to bite you. But no direct links.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

how did he get past customs with 10 million baht cash ?

Who says he got it past customs , maybe he took it out of the bank and kept it at home , some people do have money you know . Maybe he has much more in the bank and this was at home in the safe to take whenever he needs it . Houses there very expensive and i geuss he owns the one they were in . Some people have much more at home in their safe and expensive jewelery as well . Or do you buy a safe to put in your home to keep 1000baht and your passport in there ?? 

Evidently another "luxury village" where the security guards can be persuaded to fall asleep or look in the other direction at the right time.

It brings back memories of Jomtien Park Villas a few years ago and that Hell's Angels case where the guy was kidnapped and murdered. I knew a guy who lived there and he pays 6,000 Baht/month in maintenance fees. I told him that was ridiculous, but he was adamant that it meant they had great security - right up until until that incident.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/874800-mystery-surrounds-kidnapping-of-foreign-man-in-pattaya/

2 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Evidently another "luxury village" where the security guards can be persuaded to fall asleep or look in the other direction at the right time.

It brings back memories of Jomtien Park Villas a few years ago and that Hell's Angels case where the guy was kidnapped and murdered. I knew a guy who lived there and he pays 6,000 Baht/month in maintenance fees. I told him that was ridiculous, but he was adamant that it meant they had great security - right up until until that incident.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/874800-mystery-surrounds-kidnapping-of-foreign-man-in-pattaya/

JPV is probably protected by Russian mafia. That's the language I heard when I was looking around. Must've <deleted> off the wrong Igor.

6 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Houses there very expensive and i geuss he owns the one they were in 

Bangkok Post mentioned it was not clear who was the owner, nor could the tenant speak Thai. These are landed properties, foreigners can't own. Some are dodgy company things.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kennycrossfit said:

I remember about 10 years ago that estate had a spate of robberies for few months and I'm sure one of the security guards was implicated with them. 

10y ago .. I think it was mostly built in the last five years or so. 

Here's 2010 from Google Earth:

image.thumb.png.8fc8657653c4b0b7196f67e387876bd5.png

Ok, so you might be right. I don't remember those robberies though.

Edited by DrTuner