Thailand tourism collapse poses existential crisis for airlines

webfact

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Your perception of Thailand seems somewhat skewed. Tourism accounts for about 20% of GDP, Industry is now around 50% and the service sector a load on top of that.

Thailand is choc-a-bloc full of multinational companies - automotives being on of the biggest being in the world's top ten motor industries. Electronics follows on close behind. 

if my memory serves me right, a few automotive companies pulled out, General Motors being one of them.

Edited by The Farang

19 minutes ago, The Farang said:

You know how Thailand operates 555...

Not just Thailand. Within a month of shutdowns starting I was getting e-mails from 'ticket booking' companies I'd never heard of offering 'quality business flights' to UK from anywhere??????

Had to book and 'pay now' to take advantage of this amazing offer.

I have a sneaky suspicion I know the two countries they were coming from and they weren't coming from Thailand.

????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

Your perception of Thailand seems somewhat skewed. Tourism accounts for about 20% of GDP, Industry is now around 50% and the service sector a load on top of that.

Thailand is choc-a-bloc full of multinational companies - automotives being on of the biggest being in the world's top ten motor industries. Electronics follows on close behind. 

Well perhaps we can agree that tourism is effectively wiped out, any recovery will be slow and laborious.

That then takes 20% of GDP away.

That will inevitably effect manufacturing for domestic consumption, and the worldwide export markets are going to be at least sluggish for some time to come leading I suppose to a further significant drop in GDP.

That is a very big chunk of the available money within Thailand's economy lost in however you look at it

• Like 1

It was a rapid decent towards empty airliners. I traveled in and out of Thailand about 15 times from December until March and through Mid February most every seat was occupied. First to disappear were families with small children. Then everyone else. My last flight on an A320 had one passenger every other row with the occasional exception of pairs of travelers, usually husband and wife. What a comedown.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Farang said:

I give Thailand credit for trying to boost tourism.  I saw a commercial here un USA from Amazing Thailand promoting tourism.   Never saw ads before from Thailand.  But, Thailand needs to change focus from tourism and make it lucrative for businesses to set up shop in Thailand.  Big companies that can build headquarters.   That will bring foreigners and also can be a silent salesman for Thailand.   Can't put your eggs in one basket.

Short on detail- what do you suggest?

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I never understand the 'knee jerk' too many people posts.

Yes there are too many Africans, Indians, Chinese ........ everywhere else is doing just fine with their population.

You just announce the problem! There where have too many people don't have space, so they start to come other coundry's! Refugee come in Europe from Africa,Turkey many hudred thousand's! They come coz living standard , coz have war etc. Problem is already here! Soon don't have even clean water every place!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arthur Mullard said:

I saw that or a similar one on Twitter. Incredibly polished production. Those big companies - though good idea in theory - would need to know they'd be investing in a safe non-corrupt country, with a clean record for foreign businesses, trusted impartial jurisdiction... trusted leaders and other highly honorable persons... Bangkok would be like a new Hong Kong. But that dream is as artificial as the promo.  

Could you imagine this lot getting their sticky little fingers into Hong Kong back in its day ?    This is why Thailand can never be trusted, it's inbred corruption......  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

what is the names of these automotive company which is in the top ten motor industries ? A Thai company ?

I knew they start electronic industries and build some hard drives, but i didn't know they have automotive motors company... that's great. Which one please ?

6 hours ago, oompie69 said:

Spot on! Shows there is no co-ordination between government ministries. The left hand really doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Which is surprising given the number of military-trained individuals in the decision-making echelons. Planning and implementing of plans is normally a big part of any successful military campaign. But then again, TIT!

Nope, loads of international companies have setup business here for quite a long time.

4 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

From the link to the full article:

"In 2019, tourism contributed nearly 20% of the country’s GDP. "

Buuut the government said only 9%! I am also very scepticle of "nearly 20%". I think it is far greater! Zero international tourism has a massive knock on affect. The reaction to this virus, simply put is rediculous and is taking the world back to the dark ages. There are too many people and too little land on this planet already for everyone to go back to a "live off the land sceanario" which is what Thailand seems intent on doing. Somethings got to give and soon!

You have money coming directly from tourist and indirectly, that explains the difference. what you believe is no value at all.

8 hours ago, The Farang said:

I give Thailand credit for trying to boost tourism.  I saw a commercial here un USA from Amazing Thailand promoting tourism.   Never saw ads before from Thailand.  But, Thailand needs to change focus from tourism and make it lucrative for businesses to set up shop in Thailand.  Big companies that can build headquarters.   That will bring foreigners and also can be a silent salesman for Thailand.   Can't put your eggs in one basket.

Problem is not about enticing foreigners - foreigners are not permitted into the country.  No big business wants to come to a country that is heading towards an irreparable stagnation.  Thailand's government has to show signs of innovation, openness, and seriously created and in-place, actively workable, avenues  for moving forward. Then maybe real business ventures will become possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, jerolamo said:

what is the names of these automotive company which is in the top ten motor industries ? A Thai company ?

I knew they start electronic industries and build some hard drives, but i didn't know they have automotive motors company... that's great. Which one please ?

BMW, MG, Ford, Harley Davidson, ...

Those I know for sure, think there are a couple more.

Edited by FritsSikkink

41 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:
8 hours ago, The Farang said:

But, Thailand needs to change focus from tourism and make it lucrative for businesses to set up shop in Thailand.  Big companies that can build headquarters.  

They already can and do so.

Kingsgate Consolidated is doing a bang up job at Chatree Goldmine in Pichit. Must be a real moneymaker now that gold prices have shot up.

• Like 1